Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

temporary work permit: can we change the employer?

temporary work permit: can we change the employer?

Old Nov 26th 2005, 6:34 am
Forum Regular

bulle is a name known to allbulle is a name known to allbulle is a name known to allbulle is a name known to allbulle is a name known to allbulle is a name known to allbulle is a name known to allbulle is a name known to allbulle is a name known to allbulle is a name known to allbulle is a name known to all
Default temporary work permit: can we change the employer?

Hello,

I need some advice about a situation asked by someone who has been fired from their job. This person has a temporary work permit valid until 2007 restricted to one employer.
Now, that the employer has fired her, what are her options to stay in Canada?
She already has a PR in process, but not the visa yet.
If she finds another job, can she use the same work permit and ask to change the employer name? or will she need another approbation by the HRDC?
Will the CIC ask her to leave the country immediately? Can she ask to have a tourist visa?

I also have a temporary work permit restricted to 1 employer, but mine didn't need the HRDC approbation; and I am wondering if ever I would be fired or if I would like to change my job, would I be allow to do it?

Thanks for all replies.
Old Nov 26th 2005, 6:40 am

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: temporary work permit: can we change the employer?

Person may remain in Canada for the period work permit is valid, but she cannot work for any other employer. If she wants to change employer then she needs to get HRSDC validation (Labour Market Opinion).

Originally Posted by bulle
Hello,

I need some advice about a situation asked by someone who has been fired from their job. This person has a temporary work permit valid until 2007 restricted to one employer.
Now, that the employer has fired her, what are her options to stay in Canada?
She already has a PR in process, but not the visa yet.
If she finds another job, can she use the same work permit and ask to change the employer name? or will she need another approbation by the HRDC?
Will the CIC ask her to leave the country immediately? Can she ask to have a tourist visa?

I also have a temporary work permit restricted to 1 employer, but mine didn't need the HRDC approbation; and I am wondering if ever I would be fired or if I would like to change my job, would I be allow to do it?

Thanks for all replies.
Old Nov 28th 2005, 10:21 am
Forum Regular

bulle is a name known to allbulle is a name known to allbulle is a name known to allbulle is a name known to allbulle is a name known to allbulle is a name known to allbulle is a name known to allbulle is a name known to allbulle is a name known to allbulle is a name known to allbulle is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Andrew Miller
Person may remain in Canada for the period work permit is valid, but she cannot work for any other employer. If she wants to change employer then she needs to get HRSDC validation (Labour Market Opinion).
just 'may'? it's not 100% sure?

Actually, the concern is to know if even if she doesn't work for any other employer, would the CIC ask her to leave the country? or could she use her temporary work permit as a visa to stay here?
Any ideas?
Old Nov 28th 2005, 10:37 am

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point

"May remain" is a sure statement - it is not maybe or whatever.

"May" in the context "may remain" expresses a permission, not just mere posibility. Please look up in the dictionary.

Originally Posted by bulle
just 'may'? it's not 100% sure?

Actually, the concern is to know if even if she doesn't work for any other employer, would the CIC ask her to leave the country? or could she use her temporary work permit as a visa to stay here?
Any ideas?
Old Nov 28th 2005, 11:50 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: temporary work permit: can we change the employer?

Originally Posted by Andrew Miller
"May remain" is a sure statement - it is not maybe or whatever.

"May" in the context "may remain" expresses a permission, not just mere posibility. Please look up in the dictionary.
It has many derivatives ..... and may mean many things

may 1 (m)
aux.v. Past tense might (mt)
1. To be allowed or permitted to: May I take a swim? Yes, you may.
2. Used to indicate a certain measure of likelihood or possibility: It may rain this afternoon.
3. Used to express a desire or fervent wish: Long may he live!
4. Used to express contingency, purpose, or result in clauses introduced by that or so that: expressing ideas so that the average person may understand.
5. To be obliged; must. Used in statutes, deeds, and other legal documents.

I think the OH query was reasonable to clarify which one you may mean Andrew.

Paul