Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Temporary work permit application form questions

Wikiposts

Temporary work permit application form questions

Old Sep 13th 2007, 7:33 am
Just Joined

lisalou is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Temporary work permit application form questions

My OH has a job lined up with a construction company in Calgary We are in the process of filling out the form for a temporary work permit and I have a few questions. I am sorry if these questions have been asked before. I have been lurking on the site for a while now but can't find answers to my questions.

Do we need to provide proof of funds? Can anyone direct me to the relevant section of the cic website relating to this?

The document checklist asks for proof that you meet the requirments of the job. Would a CV and trade/educational certificates cover this?

Do we need to send off marriage/birth certificates?

Do the supporting documents have to be originals?

It also asks for present employers name and address my OH is currently self-employed so do we just put our residential address as he trades from home? Is this likely to cause any confusion?

OK I think that's it for now. Thanks
Old Sep 13th 2007, 7:43 am
BE Forum Addict

live to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Temporary work permit application form questions

Read, then re-read and re-read the next day with fresh eyes, the guide that accompanies the application form.

Also the document check lists that I have seen / used specify what documents are requested and whether documents should be copies or orginals. I'm not sending any orginals, unless it specifies.

Good luck!
Old Sep 13th 2007, 8:23 am
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there i'll do my best to answer and outline what we did -

Do we need to provide proof of funds? Can anyone direct me to the relevant section of the cic website relating to this?If you have the job offer then no (we sent original and kept an original copy as o/h employers sent one)

The document checklist asks for proof that you meet the requirments of the job. Would a CV and trade/educational certificates cover this? Yes - we sent copies of all City and Guilds plus a CV

Do we need to send off marriage/birth certificates? If you are applying for a spousal work permit then yes send marriage certificate (copy should be fine) no we did not send birth cert, I don't think it asks for them in any case you send copies of your passports so thats ok

Do the supporting documents have to be originals? Not necessarily as advised above the guide will tell you what to send as copies / orig

It also asks for present employers name and address my OH is currently self-employed so do we just put our residential address as he trades from home? Is this likely to cause any confusion?We included a header sheet outlining anything that was slightly deviating from the norm such as yours and it went along the lines of - Please find enclosed application form and supporting documents blah blah, and then said - relating to section x as Mr X is self employed our trading address is therefore our home address and we have therefore filled in the 'current employer' section to reflect this.

Hope that helps and good luck

Amanda
Old Sep 13th 2007, 8:29 am
Forum Regular

rena is on a distinguished road

I dropped off my WP application and my OH Open WP application at the CHC yesterday-photocopies of all docs are fine.You will need marriage cert.and you will need CV for yourself.

For self-employed I would just write in "self-employed" and type of business with home address.As long as they can understand what it is then it shouldn't be a problem.
Old Sep 15th 2007, 3:50 am

terese677 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lisalou
My OH has a job lined up with a construction company in Calgary We are in the process of filling out the form for a temporary work permit and I have a few questions. I am sorry if these questions have been asked before. I have been lurking on the site for a while now but can't find answers to my questions.

Do we need to provide proof of funds? Can anyone direct me to the relevant section of the cic website relating to this?

The document checklist asks for proof that you meet the requirments of the job. Would a CV and trade/educational certificates cover this?

Do we need to send off marriage/birth certificates?

Do the supporting documents have to be originals?

It also asks for present employers name and address my OH is currently self-employed so do we just put our residential address as he trades from home? Is this likely to cause any confusion?

OK I think that's it for now. Thanks
Just a quick note, if you have children and applying for study permits you don't need their birth certs unless they have a different surname, and copies of all are fine.
Terese
Old Sep 16th 2007, 8:56 pm
Just Joined

lisalou is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you everyone for your very helpful replies. Off to complete application now that I am feeling a bit more clued up