Wikiposts

Temporary stay in Canada

Old Aug 17th 2001, 4:01 pm
Laurie S.

Hi,

A very close friend of mine in Montreal, where I've visited twice in the past two
years, has offered me the opportunity to stay with him for a year to work on a novel
(I'm a journalist at a small daily newspaper in the U.S.).

He would support me financially during this period (he has a good salary, and would
also be saving on the phone calls he now makes to me, as well as the significant
money he spends eating out), and I would do most of the cleaning and a majority of
the cooking and do other household tasks.

Our intention was that I would be a visitor to Canada, and purchase medical insurance
for the duration of my stay. Since a visitor can stay in Canada up to six months, we
figured that would be easily workable because I want to go home a couple of times
anyway to see my family (I have a granddaughter to be born in a month -- it was a
difficult choice to decide to go away at this time, but being able to take a year off
to write would be a longtime dream come true forme).

That all sounds simple enough, but I'd like to be certain that it would be workable.
I would like to bring along some of my possessions (I plan to store some things, give
my car to my daughter, etc.), and have some other things shipped, like my computer
(with or without my beloved 17" monitor) and printer, some books, more clothing, etc.

I'm also not sure of the best route to take wrt medical insurance. I contacted a
Canadian insurance broker on the net, who quoted me a price of $3/day in Canadian
funds for a policy that he felt met what I was looking for, but it would be nice to
be able to read a web site that was about information only and wasn't dealing in the
policies themselves.

At some point I thought it would be easier to try to immigrate, but it sounds like
that would be impossible unless I had a spouse or parent or other close relative in
Canada, which I don't, or I was going to Canada to study or work. Now, I wouldn't
mind working in Montreal (and wouldn't mind being on the healthcare plan), but the
whole purpose of my visit was to *not* work so I could write, so if I got a job in my
field (journalism) in Montreal, I would be in the same position I'm in now (not
having the time/energy/inspiration to write when I'm already writing full time).

It's frustrating. I've been so burned out at my job for so long, writing the same
stuff day after day (I've been a sports editor here for nearly nine years, also do
low-level sysadmin stuff and write a feature story now and then and photograph
various events), and when my friend made this offer, I didn't even think it
feasible at first. The more I thought about it, the more realistic it seemed. After
my last visit to Montreal earlier this summer, I finally agreed, but I was quite
naive about the details. The more I read, the more it seems that my particular
situation is pretty much a no-go as far as immigration, and perhaps sketchy as far
as visitor status.

From what I've read, to be an immigrant, I have to be offering the country something
of value in my being there. I can understand that, but at the same time I am in no
way ever going to be indigent. My friend is committed to going the distance with the
one-year thing (and says he wouldn't mind if I stayed longer), and as far as me, if
the support were withdrawn I would return to the U.S.

I'm not complaining, I just would like to know if there are any options I'm
overlooking or don't know about that would fit my situation, and any problems I might
encounter.

Thank you. I've done a quick read of this group, and it's very interesting, with all
the different perspectives and the exchange of information. Seems like a pretty cool
newsgroup.

Take care,

Laurie