Temporary Resident Permit...HELP

Old Feb 6th 2012, 6:37 pm
Just Joined

meeyuu is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Temporary Resident Permit...HELP

I am working in new position for a company that requires travel to Canada about 2-3 times a year, 1 week or so at a time (or shorter). I am criminally inadmissible due to a DUI Conviction I received in Oct 2009.

I am located in the U.S.... I know this is a British website, but I have been looking at several websites and forums on advice and I can't really find any except lawyer websites. I'd like to know the reality of applying and getting through, and I find this website to be the most helpful.

I have started the checklist, but I am confused by two things:

1. The 3 letters of referral I am to get from "Upstanding Members of Community". It says, "Respectable privates citizens", but what would be considered as this?? I am not religious, so I do not know any priests or pastors, I also do not know any public officials, except a friend who works for the U.S. Patent Office. Also, I did read somewhere that these letters need to mention the conviction, so that the letters are written knowingly about my DUI. I have many friends who work as lawyers (not criminal, one is a medical malpractice lawyer) Would lawyers also count??

2. When applying for the TRP at POE, can I apply for a multiple-entry TRP?

Please, any advice will help. Thanks in advance.
Old Feb 6th 2012, 7:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Temporary Resident Permit...HELP

Yes you can apply for a multiple TRP at the POE but the issuance is at the discretion of the officer. Also evidence would be needed as to why you need a multiple visit TRP such as letter from your employer stating why you need to visit Canada and how many visits expected.
Old Feb 6th 2012, 9:03 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the feedback, Former Lancastrian. Do you by any chance have a thought on the letters of reference?
Old Feb 6th 2012, 11:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meeyuu
Thanks for the feedback, Former Lancastrian. Do you by any chance have a thought on the letters of reference?
If applying at the POE you wont need them. Its only if making a TRP application to the Consulate or application for rehabilitation at the POE that you need reference letters as per the document checklists.
Old Feb 7th 2012, 12:15 am
Just Joined

I've done so much research on TRP's it makes my head hurt. I am surprised that you don't need letters of referral when applying at the POE. May I ask why you don't need them??

Also -- how likely is it to get TRP's, as the internet tells me business reasons are both likely reasons and unlikely reasons... my reason to travel into Canada is for a Fortune 100 company who has a facility in Toronto and I am an engineer that will be associated with a big project.

I wish my day in 2008 when I was pulled over never happened. I know it is a consequence from an action I decided to pull that night.
Old Feb 7th 2012, 12:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by meeyuu
I've done so much research on TRP's it makes my head hurt. I am surprised that you don't need letters of referral when applying at the POE. May I ask why you don't need them??

Also -- how likely is it to get TRP's, as the internet tells me business reasons are both likely reasons and unlikely reasons... my reason to travel into Canada is for a Fortune 100 company who has a facility in Toronto and I am an engineer that will be associated with a big project.

I wish my day in 2008 when I was pulled over never happened. I know it is a consequence from an action I decided to pull that night.
As for being issued a TRP at the POE that is entirely the officers decision though the officer should assess the application (verbal request) as per IP1 manual.
I myself have issued TRP's for situations such as yours and I have also refused them.
Even requesting such by use of a lawyer is no guarantee that one will be issued.
Section 14 of the IP Manual covers your inadmissibility and factors to be taken into consideration
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resourc...p/ip01-eng.pdf
Unfortunately the only way to get a decision prior to entering is going through a Consulate which takes quite some time (over 9 months minimum).