Temp Work Permit Info

Old Jun 10th 2012, 12:39 am
Just Joined

highlandlassie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Temp Work Permit Info

Hi everyone,
Please bare with me as i'm new here and still in early stages of investigations. My 33yr old hubby is a carpenter with 17yrs experience, 4yrs of which he has been running his own business. We want to go out to NS on a temporary work permit with our 2 young kids (age 3 and 5) until we can be sure we have made the right decision and then hopefully, make it a permanent move. I realise we would need to stay for at least 2yrs to establish this.
I am hoping we could rent our home in scotland and move in 6months to a years time from hopefully securing a job offer (we've already had one but they wanted us to move within the month). Would we need to apply for a visa at this end or does the employer in Canada sort this out?
My only reservations on the move is that we would be leaving our family and friends who we are both very close too and also our village which is nestled in a lovely rural place and we both grew up in. I realise this will be hard. However, there isn't much job opportunity for me here (i'm a florist) and i feel we need a new challenge in our lives.
I am just looking for some advice on this as i am really keen and feel this is definately the right time in all our lives to do this but want to make sure i go into it with eyes wide open.
Thanks for reading and i look forward to your responses!
Old Jun 10th 2012, 12:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Temp Work Permit Info

I suggest you read this link
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/index.asp
then this one
http://novascotiaimmigration.ca/
then read the wiki link at the top of the page or use the search button for threads on moving to NS or working there or finding jobs.
Old Jun 10th 2012, 1:12 am
Just Joined

highlandlassie is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the info. I've already had a look at these as well as been browsing threads for info etc and i still feel very positive about it. What i can't find is if i would need to show a lump sum of money in the bank to support us out there even if we were going out with a job secured at the other end? The only way we could do this is by selling our house and i feel that is something i would like to take into consideration once we have settled and made the decision for the move to be a permanent one.
Old Jun 10th 2012, 4:47 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by highlandlassie
Thanks for the info. I've already had a look at these as well as been browsing threads for info etc and i still feel very positive about it. What i can't find is if i would need to show a lump sum of money in the bank to support us out there even if we were going out with a job secured at the other end? The only way we could do this is by selling our house and i feel that is something i would like to take into consideration once we have settled and made the decision for the move to be a permanent one.
No, you wouldn't need to show a certain amount of funds if you've got a job offer and LMO, although realistically you'll need at least £10k to get set up there as a family of four, plus your moving costs obviously.

In answer to your other question, you would apply for the visa (the Temporary Work Permit), but the employer must apply for the Labour Market Opinion.

HTH and good luck.