Temp Work Permit 'Accepted'?

Old Nov 8th 2007, 3:07 pm
Banned

Brownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Temp Work Permit 'Accepted'?

Had my Temp intra company work permit application handled by a company called TLCS, they have told me that the Consulate in London have accepted the application and that they will contact me directly in around 10 days. I asked them what they meant by accepted and should I book my flights etc. They said yes, as long as it wasn't to fly out before I receive my paperwork.

Does this sound right? The application was only made on Monday this week.
Old Nov 8th 2007, 4:06 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Temp Work Permit 'Accepted'?

Is your employer paying your air fares? At the risk of sounding crass, why are you worrying about your flights? You can get flights to Calgary practically any time you like.

The trick, if you're paying for yourself, is that you usually want to get the cheapest possible flights. To do that, you need to finesse the time at which you buy them. Often it's cheaper to buy tickets more than three months in advance or else just 4 - 5 days before the flight.

Although the paperwork for intra-company transfers often goes through more quickly than regular work permit applications, you still can't be sure when you'll receive the green light to go to Canada. So I think you lack enough information with which to pick the optimum travel date.

I think you should just wait. I hope your employer is paying your air fare but, even if you're paying it yourself, I still think you should wait. Or, if you insist on buying a ticket now, at least buy a full fare economy ticket so that you retain the right to change your flight date. But then, if you're going to pay full fare economy anyway, what's the advantage in buying now?

If you buy a cheap ticket now, based on your guestimate of your travel date, the work permit process could take longer than you think, and you may have to forfeit your cheap ticket.

Last edited by Judy in Calgary; Nov 8th 2007 at 4:13 pm.
Old Nov 8th 2007, 6:29 pm
Banned

Brownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Judy in Calgary
Is your employer paying your air fares? At the risk of sounding crass, why are you worrying about your flights? You can get flights to Calgary practically any time you like.

The trick, if you're paying for yourself, is that you usually want to get the cheapest possible flights. To do that, you need to finesse the time at which you buy them. Often it's cheaper to buy tickets more than three months in advance or else just 4 - 5 days before the flight.

Although the paperwork for intra-company transfers often goes through more quickly than regular work permit applications, you still can't be sure when you'll receive the green light to go to Canada. So I think you lack enough information with which to pick the optimum travel date.

I think you should just wait. I hope your employer is paying your air fare but, even if you're paying it yourself, I still think you should wait. Or, if you insist on buying a ticket now, at least buy a full fare economy ticket so that you retain the right to change your flight date. But then, if you're going to pay full fare economy anyway, what's the advantage in buying now?

If you buy a cheap ticket now, based on your guestimate of your travel date, the work permit process could take longer than you think, and you may have to forfeit your cheap ticket.
thanks Judy, my company is not paying for my flights so I am looking to book my flight as early as possible to get it cheap. I'm going to wait until I have had contact with the Consulate, its should hopefully be sometime next week.

Then the fun of planning our trip to Calgary starts
Old Nov 8th 2007, 7:29 pm
Swollen Member

geo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brownstar
Had my Temp intra company work permit application handled by a company called TLCS, they have told me that the Consulate in London have accepted the application and that they will contact me directly in around 10 days. I asked them what they meant by accepted and should I book my flights etc. They said yes, as long as it wasn't to fly out before I receive my paperwork.

Did you have the LMO already?

My WP took approx. 6 weeks to process from within Canada with LMO- so yours does sound rather quick.
Old Nov 9th 2007, 10:26 am
Banned

Originally Posted by geo4
Did you have the LMO already?
Didn't need an LMO as its an Intra Company transfer
Old Nov 9th 2007, 12:16 pm

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point

Accordingly to company's website they are visa services company (like travel agents submitting tourist visa applications), there is nothing there stating that they are authorized immigration representatives for Canadian immigration matters. Unless someone can point me to the page on their website stating that they are authorized.

And if they are not it means they are not only not authorized but also not qualified to handle Canadian immigration matters, which include work permits and all other matters governed by IRPA.

Read here:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/departm...otice-reps.asp

It seems to me that they are just a visa applications submission service - if that then you didn't need them.

Whatever company told you may mean that CHC received your application, nothing more.

Last edited by Andrew Miller; Nov 9th 2007 at 12:21 pm.
Old Nov 9th 2007, 12:26 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Andrew Miller
Accordingly to company's website they are visa services company (like travel agents submitting tourist visa applications), there is nothing there stating that they are authorized immigration representatives for Canadian immigration matters. Unless someone can point me to the page on their website stating that they are authorized.

And if they are not it means they are not only not authorized but also not qualified to handle Canadian immigration matters, which include work permits and all other matters governed by IRPA.

Read here:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/departm...otice-reps.asp

It seems to me that they are just a visa applications submission service - if that then you didn't need them.

Whatever company told you may mean that CHC received your application, nothing more.
My employer uses them to process all their intra company visa applications, as I understand it they do not act as a representative, they just review and submit your application if it is complete. I'm not going to book my flights until I have the confirmation from the Consulate, which should hopefully be in the next week or so.
Old Nov 9th 2007, 12:36 pm

My employer uses them to process all their intra company visa applications, as I understand it they do not act as a representative, they just review and submit your application if it is complete. I'm not going to book my flights until I have the confirmation from the Consulate, which should hopefully be in the next week or so.
It is not only about representation. Section 13 of IRPA's Regulations clearly state that:

13.1 (1) Subject to subsection (2), no person who is not an authorized representative may, for a fee, represent, advise or consult with a person who is the subject of a proceeding or application before the Minister, an officer or the Board.

http://www.canlii.org/ca/regu/sor2002-227/sec13.1.html

"Reviewing" application is advising and/or consulting. And it is a no no for anyone who is charging fee and is not authorized.
Old Nov 9th 2007, 12:40 pm
Banned

It is not only about representation. Section 13 of IRPA's Regulations clearly state that:

13.1 (1) Subject to subsection (2), no person who is not an authorized representative may, for a fee, represent, advise or consult with a person who is the subject of a proceeding or application before the Minister, an officer or the Board.

http://www.canlii.org/ca/regu/sor2002-227/sec13.1.html

"Reviewing" application is advising and/or consulting. And it is a no no for anyone who is charging fee and is not authorized.
Does that law apply in the UK?
Old Nov 9th 2007, 1:14 pm

Law applies to anything what has to do with Canadian immigration matters governed by IRPA and it's Regulation. You are dealing with Canadian government, not UK government, thus Canadian laws apply, regardless in what country particular Canadian visa post is located.

Law states clearly - the subject of a proceeding or application before the Minister, an officer or the Board - it doesn't limit it to Canada, it applies to all Canadian immigration applications, inland and abroad.

Just like I would want to get work permit to UK - I would be subject to British immigration law, not Canadian one.

Note that Canadian law doesn't force you to use representation, advice or consulting - you can prepare and submit application on your own. But if you or your employer pays for representation, advice and/or consulting then such service can only be provided by an authorized by Canadian law representative.

Last edited by Andrew Miller; Nov 9th 2007 at 1:31 pm.
Old Nov 9th 2007, 2:39 pm
Banned

Law applies to anything what has to do with Canadian immigration matters governed by IRPA and it's Regulation. You are dealing with Canadian government, not UK government, thus Canadian laws apply, regardless in what country particular Canadian visa post is located.

Law states clearly - the subject of a proceeding or application before the Minister, an officer or the Board - it doesn't limit it to Canada, it applies to all Canadian immigration applications, inland and abroad.

Just like I would want to get work permit to UK - I would be subject to British immigration law, not Canadian one.

Note that Canadian law doesn't force you to use representation, advice or consulting - you can prepare and submit application on your own. But if you or your employer pays for representation, advice and/or consulting then such service can only be provided by an authorized by Canadian law representative.
I'm sure its fine, I work for a major multi national corp so I cannot see them using someone who is not in a position to do what they say. Like I said, they use this company for all Visa applications.
Old Nov 9th 2007, 3:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

gryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond repute

My guess is that London got the application 10 days ago. It seems London are taking 4-6 weeks to process those without medicals.

Good luck
Old Nov 12th 2007, 7:57 pm
Forum Regular

Londonlady108 is just really niceLondonlady108 is just really niceLondonlady108 is just really niceLondonlady108 is just really niceLondonlady108 is just really niceLondonlady108 is just really niceLondonlady108 is just really niceLondonlady108 is just really niceLondonlady108 is just really niceLondonlady108 is just really niceLondonlady108 is just really nice

Not sure if this is any help to you - we are also on an intracompany transfer work permit and our permit was issued as my husband landed in Canada - everything was pre-arranged and he had a wad of paperwork - they issued it on the border. it sounded very dodgy to me - but that is how it happened with us.
Old Nov 13th 2007, 7:58 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Londonlady108
Not sure if this is any help to you - we are also on an intracompany transfer work permit and our permit was issued as my husband landed in Canada - everything was pre-arranged and he had a wad of paperwork - they issued it on the border. it sounded very dodgy to me - but that is how it happened with us.
I think thats the same as what I will have to do, the CHC review the paperwork and if all is in order issue some additional paperwork that you present to immigration upon landing and they issue the WP.

Did your husband have to send any paperwork to the CHC before you flew to Canada?
Old Nov 13th 2007, 5:28 pm
Forum Regular

Londonlady108 is just really niceLondonlady108 is just really niceLondonlady108 is just really niceLondonlady108 is just really niceLondonlady108 is just really niceLondonlady108 is just really niceLondonlady108 is just really niceLondonlady108 is just really niceLondonlady108 is just really niceLondonlady108 is just really niceLondonlady108 is just really nice

Not that I am aware of - it was all arranged with our company's immigration lawyers - as far as I know they just prepared all the paperwork, letter of employment, company financials and his CV, then my husband went to the immigration desk, he flew in to Toronto, they barely looked at it and he was in. I have been told not to do this on a Monday or Friday - he flew in on a Tuesday.