Temp Work Permit

Old Oct 25th 2007, 9:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

CurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really nice
Default Temp Work Permit

Quick question really guys, reguarding work permits.

I was trying to find how many times a temp work permit can be renewed, if more than once even ?
If i get a temp work permit for 1 or 2 years, i read somewhere i would have to return home for 4 months at the end, i think, before applying for another work permit?

anyone help? thanks.
Old Oct 25th 2007, 11:12 pm
Just Joined

bobt is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Temp Work Permit

Originally Posted by CurtNIR

I was trying to find how many times a temp work permit can be renewed, if more than once even ?
If i get a temp work permit for 1 or 2 years, i read somewhere i would have to return home for 4 months at the end, i think, before applying for another work permit?

anyone help? thanks.
Not my understanding. I intend to renew mine when I'm out there unless my PR comes through on time. I've not seen anything that says I can't do that. You need to remember to do it in good time though, several months before your existing one runs out.
Old Oct 25th 2007, 11:22 pm
Forum Regular

Alro has a brilliant futureAlro has a brilliant futureAlro has a brilliant futureAlro has a brilliant futureAlro has a brilliant futureAlro has a brilliant futureAlro has a brilliant future

Morning

Not sure if this helps but I have just started a new job here and have two Australian accountants working for me. One of them has their WP running out on November 1st. The company is sponsoring him to stay and there was no mention of him having to leave the country or job while he waits to get it renewed. I will ask him toady when I get into work what happens if the new WP doesn't come by Nov 1st.

Alro
Old Oct 26th 2007, 10:21 am
Forum Regular

debbyathome is just really nicedebbyathome is just really nicedebbyathome is just really nicedebbyathome is just really nicedebbyathome is just really nicedebbyathome is just really nicedebbyathome is just really nicedebbyathome is just really nicedebbyathome is just really nicedebbyathome is just really nicedebbyathome is just really nice

Originally Posted by CurtNIR

anyone help? thanks.

We have renewed our permits 3 times,1st one was 3 years 2nd was 3 years and last one was 1 year.We have never left Canada while they were renewed.
Old Oct 26th 2007, 10:41 am

bazzz is an unknown quantity at this point

A related question. We're going to renew our work permits by "going round the flagpole" at a border crossing. Anyone know how close to expiry our current permit should be before we do this? Would it be okay to do it with a couple of months left on it?
Old Oct 29th 2007, 6:50 am

bazzz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bazzz
A related question. We're going to renew our work permits by "going round the flagpole" at a border crossing. Anyone know how close to expiry our current permit should be before we do this? Would it be okay to do it with a couple of months left on it?
The reason we're going down this route is because we'll be attending a wedding outside of Canada when our current WPs expire in January and I'm not confident that we'd get our new WPs back from Vegreville before they expired.

I contacted the CIC call centre and they weren't particularly helpful on this. The lady said that it was down to the discretion of the Immigration Officer - they could decide that if we still had a valid work permit they could refuse to issue a new one and tell us to apply from inside Canada. Sounds like it would depend how busy they are and whether or not they feel like it.

Anyone have any experience of this or comments?
Old Oct 29th 2007, 10:38 am
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute

I am not sure about leaving Canada and hoping they renew your WP at POE as they may not let you back in

Note that you will only be given a WP if your passport is current. If your passport expires in 9 months time then that will be the length of your WP. Anyone wishing to live permanently in Canada should apply for PR within Canada if you have not already done so from the UK.