Temp SIN Number PLEASE HELP

Old Oct 21st 2012, 2:32 pm
Just Joined

Chrisg221 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Temp SIN Number PLEASE HELP

Hey all
I am currently applying for residency. My wife is Canadian and she will be my sponsor. I have applied for an extension to my visitors visa because it runs out in roughly 2 weeks and obviously i dont want to be here illegally. Once i have finished the very stressful and confusing forms am I right in thinking you can apply for a temporary sin number so i can work? I am starting to eat into our savings as i cant work legally over here! If anyone can give me any guidence or any help about filling the forms in i would appreciate it very much.
Old Oct 21st 2012, 2:38 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Temp SIN Number PLEASE HELP

Originally Posted by Chrisg221
Hey all
I am currently applying for residency. My wife is Canadian and she will be my sponsor. I have applied for an extension to my visitors visa because it runs out in roughly 2 weeks and obviously i dont want to be here illegally. Once i have finished the very stressful and confusing forms am I right in thinking you can apply for a temporary sin number so i can work? I am starting to eat into our savings as i cant work legally over here! If anyone can give me any guidence or any help about filling the forms in i would appreciate it very much.
Hi, unfortunately you cannot work - yet. You only get a temporary sin number if you are here on a temporary work permit and you will be on a visitor permit - so that means no work unfortunately

Which way are you applying - inland or outland (ie app to be processed in or outside of Canada?)

If applying inland then halfway through the process (ie when your wife is appoved as sponsor) you get a temp work permit.

However if you applying outland hen you get no such thing but it goes straight to pr.

The crunch between these two ways of applying is that inland first stage approval normallt takes as long as outland complete process.
Old Oct 21st 2012, 2:43 pm
Just Joined

[QUOTE=mandymoochops;10342767]Hi, unfortunately you cannot work - yet. You only get a temporary sin number if you are here on a temporary work permit and you will be on a visitor permit - so that means no work unfortunately

Which way are you applying - inland or outland (ie app to be processed in or outside of Canada?)

If applying inland then halfway through the process (ie when your wife is appoved as sponsor) you get a temp work permit.

However if you applying outland hen you get no such thing but it goes straight to pr.

The crunch between these two ways of applying is that inland first stage approval normallt takes as long as outland complete process.[/QUOT

I'm applying outbound having done some research because its quicker than inbound. I have just had to get another crb check because immigration want it within 3 months even though its valid for 6, so things are going slow at the min. I have been told a lawyer will be a big help but i cant afford one.
Old Oct 21st 2012, 2:57 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

Unless you have previous convictions or something else that might hinder your application then there is no way you will need a lawyer. I'm going through the process as are many many others on here. We support each other, answer questions / ask questions / rant / rave you name it
Old Oct 21st 2012, 8:43 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

As MMC said, there's no way for you to work whilst you're waiting for PR via outland sponsorship without another type of visa I'm afraid.

So you have four options from what I can see - 1, you just wait for PR and don't work, 2, you return to the UK and work there whilst waiting for PR, 3, you try and find a job offer so you can get a LMO/TWP, or 4, if you are eligible (i.e. aged 30 or under) you look at getting a Working Holiday Visa.

The only other bit of advice I can offer you is to use this forum as much as poss, and the CIC website, as both have all the info you need on them. The CIC website will tell you that the police cert must be less than 3 months old when submitted for instance. And just checking, but you said you've ordered a CRB check, but it is an ACPO police check you're getting and not a CRB isn't it? I'm sure it's just a typo but don't want you sending the wrong thing in and having to get yet another one!

Best of luck with it all.
Old Oct 22nd 2012, 6:10 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
As MMC said, there's no way for you to work whilst you're waiting for PR via outland sponsorship without another type of visa I'm afraid.

So you have four options from what I can see - 1, you just wait for PR and don't work, 2, you return to the UK and work there whilst waiting for PR, 3, you try and find a job offer so you can get a LMO/TWP, or 4, if you are eligible (i.e. aged 30 or under) you look at getting a Working Holiday Visa.

The only other bit of advice I can offer you is to use this forum as much as poss, and the CIC website, as both have all the info you need on them. The CIC website will tell you that the police cert must be less than 3 months old when submitted for instance. And just checking, but you said you've ordered a CRB check, but it is an ACPO police check you're getting and not a CRB isn't it? I'm sure it's just a typo but don't want you sending the wrong thing in and having to get yet another one!

Best of luck with it all.
Yeah its the ACPO one i ordered! Its all just nerve racking because i was on the army for 11 years and i dropped everything to come here to be with my wife! i will be on here later on wanting help whilst filling out forms lol. One question can you write the word present when your filling dates in?

It is good room know that people look it for each other on here!
Old Oct 22nd 2012, 8:57 am
Sawdust making harpy

Yeah its the ACPO one i ordered! Its all just nerve racking because i was on the army for 11 years and i dropped everything to come here to be with my wife! i will be on here later on wanting help whilst filling out forms lol. One question can you write the word present when your filling dates in?

I did and have had no probs so far
Old Oct 22nd 2012, 8:59 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Ditto. I think I actually wrote 'current', but same kind of thing!
Old Oct 22nd 2012, 9:04 am
Sawdust making harpy

I did and have had no probs so far