temp permit

Old Nov 1st 2007, 9:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

redarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of light
Default temp permit

i am coming over to calgary on a temp work permit do i have to pay a landed fee or not and if so how much.and if i get my wife an open work permit is it ok if she flys out at a later date any help would be greatly appreciated and many thanks
Old Nov 1st 2007, 9:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Posidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: temp permit

Originally Posted by redarmy990
i am coming over to calgary on a temp work permit do i have to pay a landed fee or not and if so how much.and if i get my wife an open work permit is it ok if she flys out at a later date any help would be greatly appreciated and many thanks
Assuming that you are British and so don't need a visitor visa, you will just need to pay the $150 work permit fee. At the airport if you have not already done so.

There should not be any problem with your wife flying out at a later date (my family came out 6 months after me). Don't know if you can get her the open work permit or if she should it get when she lands though.
Old Nov 1st 2007, 9:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond repute

We arrived just over 2 weeks ago on an Intra-company Transfer.
We elected to get our Work Permits at the Point of Entry.
It is correct that Brits do not need a Temp Residence Permit, so you just arrive, make your case for Work Permit (show your LMO probably), pay your $150 and off you go. Usually only get a 1 year WP at POE but is easily extended.

Your wife can follow later and get her open Work Permit much the same way and pay her $150. This assumes that your job is in skill levels 0, A or B. If it falls into levels C or D - no open Work permit for wife. She will be allowed to stay in Canada as long as you are, but not permitted to work.
Her WP is only valid while yours is valid.

Rob.
Old Nov 1st 2007, 9:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Posidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rob4BC
It is correct that Brits do not need a Temp Residence Permit, so you just arrive, make your case for Work Permit (show your LMO probably), pay your $150 and off you go. Usually only get a 1 year WP at POE but is easily extended.

Your wife can follow later and get her open Work Permit much the same way and pay her $150. This assumes that your job is in skill levels 0, A or B. If it falls into levels C or D - no open Work permit for wife. She will be allowed to stay in Canada as long as you are, but not permitted to work.

Rob.
They didn't ask my wife anything at all about skills. Just gave her the open work permit in exchange for the $150.
Old Nov 1st 2007, 10:42 pm

bazzz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Posidrive
They didn't ask my wife anything at all about skills. Just gave her the open work permit in exchange for the $150.
Why would they? They're not interested in her skills. Only yours; which will already have been covered by the NOC category of the job in your LMO.
Old Nov 1st 2007, 10:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond repute

Exactly, the spouse gets an open permit so that they may accompany the one who qualified for entry into the canadian workforce.
Old Nov 1st 2007, 10:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Whoops!! Forgot my reading glasses today so didn't read post properly.
Old Nov 2nd 2007, 1:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Journeyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of light

Whoops!! Forgot my reading glasses today so didn't read post properly.
Don't get too excited the spouse Open Work permit is directly linked to the primary WP and will be voided if primary voided.
Thomas
Old Nov 2nd 2007, 5:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Journeyman Electrician
Don't get too excited the spouse Open Work permit is directly linked to the primary WP and will be voided if primary voided.
Thomas
Yeah I know - that's wot I said at the end of post #3
Old Nov 4th 2007, 7:35 pm
Forum Regular

happylandings has a brilliant futurehappylandings has a brilliant futurehappylandings has a brilliant futurehappylandings has a brilliant futurehappylandings has a brilliant futurehappylandings has a brilliant futurehappylandings has a brilliant future

Hi Guys,

Interesting to read your posts, as always.

Do you know, along with Open Work Permit for spouse - is it a 'given' that kids can enter school in Canada with this option? And get 'local' fees status for university?

I've got a provisional job offer in the right NOC etc. But wonder can whole family have the above privileges?

Cheers,
Old Nov 4th 2007, 9:01 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by happylandings
Hi Guys,

Interesting to read your posts, as always.

Do you know, along with Open Work Permit for spouse - is it a 'given' that kids can enter school in Canada with this option? And get 'local' fees status for university?

I've got a provisional job offer in the right NOC etc. But wonder can whole family have the above privileges?

Cheers,
Most school districts will allow children of work permit holders valid for a year to attend school without paying international rates. University are probably a different kettle of fish. If your children don't have PR status, they probably will be paying international rates.
Old Nov 4th 2007, 11:13 pm

Member123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Rob4BC

Rob.
Did your wife get an OWP?

(Sorry I couldnt help myself - I'll get me coat)
Old Nov 5th 2007, 2:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Alvic
Did your wife get an OWP?

(Sorry I couldnt help myself - I'll get me coat)