Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Temp Foreign Worker - coming changes

Temp Foreign Worker - coming changes

Old Sep 8th 2010, 6:02 pm
Island life at last

helcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Temp Foreign Worker - coming changes

I read on the 'emigrate now' newsletter that they are going to make changes to the Temporary Foreign Worker rules as of April 1 next year.
It says;
"Among the recently announced changes, which come into effect on 1 April next year, are: a more rigorous assessment of the genuine nature of job offers; a two-year prohibition from hiring temporary foreign workers for employers who fail to meet their commitments to workers with respect to wages, working conditions and occupation; and a limit on the length of time a temporary foreign worker may work in Canada before returning home."
( http://www.emigrate2.co.uk/Emigrate_Now_21.htm ) for the rest of the page.
I am wondering if the "more rigorous assessment of the genuine nature of job offers" is another way of saying they will be tightening up the LMO and AEO rules? This may make it even harder for immigrants to enter Canada by this route.
Also, " limit on the length of time a temporary foreign worker may work in Canada before returning home" is already in place via the length of the TWP you receive, so I am wondering what they mean to do to change that. It doesn't say how long this limit will be.
I am a bit dubious about what all this means for people trying to immigrate to Canada using the current job offer - LMO - TWP - PR Cat 2 route.
Old Sep 8th 2010, 6:08 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Temp Foreign Worker - coming changes

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/departm...2010-08-18.asp

Highlights of the most recent changes
The following changes come into effect on April 1, 2011:

a more rigorous assessment of the genuineness of the job offer;

a two-year prohibition from hiring temporary foreign workers for employers who fail to meet their commitments to workers with respect to wages, working conditions and occupation; and

a limit on the length of time a temporary foreign worker may work in Canada before returning home.

Employers seeking to hire temporary foreign workers, including live-in caregivers, will now be assessed against past compliance with program requirements before authorization can be granted. Employers found to have violated worker rights may be refused authorization to hire a foreign worker.

In cases where employers have not met their previous commitments to workers, they may be denied access to the temporary foreign worker program for two years. Offending employers’ names would also be published on the Citizenship and Immigration Canada website to inform other temporary foreign workers already in Canada. Employers will be given the opportunity to explain their side of the story before any such action is taken against them.

A four-year cumulative limit is also being imposed on many temporary foreign workers’ employment in Canada. After a four-year work term, they will now have to wait four years before becoming eligible to again work temporarily in Canada. The limit does not affect eligibility for permanent residence; they may still apply, at any time, while they are legally in Canada or after they leave, if they qualify.

Old Sep 8th 2010, 6:11 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by helcat12
I read on the 'emigrate now' newsletter that they are going to make changes to the Temporary Foreign Worker rules as of April 1 next year.
It says;
"Among the recently announced changes, which come into effect on 1 April next year, are: a more rigorous assessment of the genuine nature of job offers; a two-year prohibition from hiring temporary foreign workers for employers who fail to meet their commitments to workers with respect to wages, working conditions and occupation; and a limit on the length of time a temporary foreign worker may work in Canada before returning home."
( http://www.emigrate2.co.uk/Emigrate_Now_21.htm ) for the rest of the page.
I am wondering if the "more rigorous assessment of the genuine nature of job offers" is another way of saying they will be tightening up the LMO and AEO rules? This may make it even harder for immigrants to enter Canada by this route.
Also, " limit on the length of time a temporary foreign worker may work in Canada before returning home" is already in place via the length of the TWP you receive, so I am wondering what they mean to do to change that. It doesn't say how long this limit will be.
I am a bit dubious about what all this means for people trying to immigrate to Canada using the current job offer - LMO - TWP - PR Cat 2 route.
Well yes, tightening up the LMO admiistration would be the way to make sure all work permits are for valid jobs/ conditions.

The limited time frame thing I think (from the little I read here when it was announced) refers to allowing only a limited number of renewals for any one permit, to put the "temporary" back into TWP, as they do in some other countries.
Old Sep 8th 2010, 6:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

spaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by helcat12
my take is they'll stop/reduce TWP renewals, or maybe they'll keep the TWP length down to 1 year for most applicants....your guess is as good as mine

It shouldn't make any diff for those applying for PR under FSW2, unless you apply whilst on a 1 year TWP with no chance of renewal, where PR effectively takes longer than 1 year to complete. In which case one would need to exit Canada and return as a visitor, or sit it out in your homeland.

Aren't CIC awkward buggers ?
Old Sep 8th 2010, 6:22 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spaceace
I prefer to think of it as "keeping out the riff raff"
Old Sep 8th 2010, 6:23 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

hi

my take is they'll stop/reduce TWP renewals, or maybe they'll keep the TWP length down to 1 year for most applicants....your guess is as good as mine

It shouldn't make any diff for those applying for PR under FSW2, unless you apply whilst on a 1 year TWP with no chance of renewal, where PR effectively takes longer than 1 year to complete. In which case one would need to exit Canada and return as a visitor, or sit it out in your homeland.

I think you will find that they will be looking closely at LMOs and AEOs as there is very lucrative market in the sale of them. Where they are facilitated through intermediaries, where the employer has never met/interviewed the applicant and has no intention on employing them for any length of time.
Old Sep 8th 2010, 6:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

spaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of light

ok, I take it back....aren't CIC diligent ?
Old Sep 8th 2010, 6:54 pm
Island life at last

helcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond repute

ok, I take it back....aren't CIC diligent ?
Ah, spaceace! It is all about semantics!
For instance employers may think I am difficult and demanding. I think I am 'justifiably high-maintenance'
Old Sep 8th 2010, 9:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

CanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah my friend pointed me to this article a couple of weeks ago.

I doubt under the new system I'd have been able to get a positive LMO, or a 2 year TWP, since my colleague who hired me had literally just started his business. Even a small amount of checking would have probably killed the LMO.

The golden age of casual immigration to Canada is coming to a close it seems.