Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

TEF (test d'evaluation de francais) Test

TEF (test d'evaluation de francais) Test

Old May 9th 2005, 9:42 am
Just Joined

Jan and Eam is an unknown quantity at this point
Default TEF (test d'evaluation de francais) Test

We originally posted this on the Lifestyle discussion, but realise now that it is probably more appropriate to this one. Thanks to all who have replied so far though.

We have put in our application for Canada in October 04 and had our AOR in November 04. We have recently been having doubts about whether we actually have enough points as we counted primary school education as seven years. After reading through information boards and Canada News etc, it appears that primary school education can only count as six years. Any views on this are welcome.

To be on the safe side one of us has decided to learn French to try and secure the one point we think we might need. We are hoping to get the result in before our file is picked up for processing, which we figured on being March 2006. Do people think March 06 is a reasonable time estimate to work to from an AOR date as above?

The Canadians recommend taking a TEF test although, as far as we can tell, there is nowhere in the UK to take the TEF test. Does anyone know if we're wrong on that - we keep thinking there must be somewhere in the UK to take it.

The CIC website does say that, if you don't take the TEF, you can provide other written evidence of your proficiency in French but that there is no guarantee of points being awarded. We wondered if anyone had taken or submitted anything other than a TEF test which was accepted?

Any information on these matters would be gratefully received as it sort of feels unreasonable to have to pay the costs of the TEF plus the costs of travelling to and probably accomodation in another country in order to take it.
Old May 9th 2005, 2:35 pm
Just Joined

Menino is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: TEF (test d'evaluation de francais) Test

Language Studies International
19-21 Ridgmount Street
LONDON WC1E 7AH
+ 44 (0) 20 7467 6506 / 6500
+ 44 (0) 20 7323 1736
[email protected]; [email protected]
www.lsi-languages.com

Alliance française de Manchester
Bridgewater House 58 Whitworth Street
MANCHESTER M1 6LS
+ 44 161 236 71 17
+ 44 161 236 79 97
[email protected]
www.alliancefrancaise.org.uk

Alliance Française de Glasgow
7, Bowmont Gardens
G12 9LR GLASGOW
+44 141 339 42 81
+44 141 339 42 24
[email protected]; [email protected]
www.afglasgow.org.uk

Alliance Française de Londres
1 Dorset Square
Londres NW1 6PU
44 20 72 58 08 51/ 44 20 77 39 97
44 20 72 24 95 12
[email protected]
www.alliancefrancaise.org.uk

Institut Français d'Ecosse
13 Randolph Crescent
EH37TT Edimbourg
01 131 220 77 54
01 131 220 77 55
[email protected]
www.ifecosse.org.uk
Old May 9th 2005, 10:15 pm
Forum Regular

NewWorldMan is just really niceNewWorldMan is just really niceNewWorldMan is just really niceNewWorldMan is just really niceNewWorldMan is just really niceNewWorldMan is just really niceNewWorldMan is just really niceNewWorldMan is just really niceNewWorldMan is just really niceNewWorldMan is just really nice

http://www.amazon.fr/exec/obidos/ASI...308048-6212217

shows up a good book that can be used and the above mentioned sites are all excellent.

In addition,

http://www.fda.ccip.fr/default.asp?metaid=4

is one of the French web-sites for the test. The three PDF files on the left give you a flavour of the results and the bottom PDF file (questions type) have a few sample questions from each area of the test.

Don't worry about the Lexique et structure test. It's not counted for Immigration purposes.
Old May 9th 2005, 10:45 pm
Just Joined

timeo is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Jan & Eam,

My wife, Catherine, took the TEF at Alliance Franciase in Manchester last July. From memory it cost £85.00 for all sections, plus we had to stay over in Manchester being from Gloucestershire. The test takes up a whole day i.e 9 to 5.
One thing to bear in mind is that all of the tests are conducted solely in French, including all the instructions before hand. It is best to get a TEF text book (as suggested by NewWorldMan) and learn the format of the tests aswell. For example, in the listening test, you listen to a tape and answer questions, but you only hear the tape once, and it moves straight onto the next question. Catherine's French is OK having studied to A level and then kept in practice on holidays, but still had a little difficulty.
We were exactly on 67 points before the TEF but gained an extra 6.
With regard to the time to learn, currently it seems Feb 04 AOR's are just starting to receive medical requests. You would need to submit any extra documents before then, so currently 15 months. March 06 for you would seem reasonable, but plenty of people will tell you that prcessing will soon slow down etc. for a variety of reasons.

Tim
Old May 10th 2005, 12:30 am
Forum Regular

NewWorldMan is just really niceNewWorldMan is just really niceNewWorldMan is just really niceNewWorldMan is just really niceNewWorldMan is just really niceNewWorldMan is just really niceNewWorldMan is just really niceNewWorldMan is just really niceNewWorldMan is just really niceNewWorldMan is just really nice

Yet more info ....

There are a handful of places in Britain where you can purchase the TEF books and cassettes. Hachette Livre (publisher) have a few distributors in the UK and the details are as follows ...

Nos distributeurs en Grande-Bretagne

EUROPEAN SCHOOLBOOKS
The Runnings CHELTENHAM GL 51 9PQ
tél. : (0) 1242 24 52 52
fax : (0) 1242 22 41 37
e-mail : [email protected]

THE EUROPEAN BOOKSHOP
5 Warwick Street , LONDON W1B5LU
tél. : 020 7734 5259
fax : 020 7287 1720

THE YOUNG EUROPEANS BOOKSTORE
5 Cecil Court, LONDON WC2N 4EZ
tél. : 020 7836 6667
fax : 020 7240 1635

Alternatively, if you can find the books and tapes elsewhere you'll be saving yourself £9 and £32 !!! :scared: I know I'll be selling them on when the test is all out of the way!!!
Old May 11th 2005, 9:29 pm
Just Joined

sizzler is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

I too took the test late last year and I would say that if you're rusty like me, to invest in the books and cassettes as it will really help you. I mugged up for about a month prior to the exam and I must say it really helps with:

1. The technique of answering questions i.e. at first they can be confusing and that's the last thing you need when sweating in the exam room

2. Knowing which sections of any given paper will be easier for you and therefore you don't need to spend so much time on the hard bits. The guy I sat next to was totally stuck on a hard section and if he had known he could easily have done the last 2 sections in no time at all but as it happens he ran out of time.

One thing that the book can't really prepare you for is the written and oral exam which is after a hard morning doing the core papers a bit of a nightmare. Try and revise for the orale by thinking up questions for core situations e.g. booking a hotel room, restaurant, party venue, etc.

The written exam was for me the hardest part, again try and mug up by thinking of core phrases to write e.g. "a mon avis", "au contraire" etc.

In the end it was worth it...I got an extra 6 points for doing it.

Be prepared for a long wait though. I think it takes about 8 weeks to get the results. Good luck!

P.S try and source the book from France, it's 1/3 the price it is in London.
Old May 11th 2005, 10:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by NewWorldMan
Yet more info ....

There are a handful of places in Britain where you can purchase the TEF books and cassettes. Hachette Livre (publisher) have a few distributors in the UK and the details are as follows ...

Nos distributeurs en Grande-Bretagne

EUROPEAN SCHOOLBOOKS
The Runnings CHELTENHAM GL 51 9PQ
tél. : (0) 1242 24 52 52
fax : (0) 1242 22 41 37

THE EUROPEAN BOOKSHOP
5 Warwick Street , LONDON W1B5LU
tél. : 020 7734 5259
fax : 020 7287 1720

THE YOUNG EUROPEANS BOOKSTORE
5 Cecil Court, LONDON WC2N 4EZ
tél. : 020 7836 6667
fax : 020 7240 1635

Alternatively, if you can find the books and tapes elsewhere you'll be saving yourself £9 and £32 !!! :scared: I know I'll be selling them on when the test is all out of the way!!!
Hi

I have the book but not the tapes. Can anyone tell me whether you can buy the tapes on their own, as I really do not want to buy the book and tapes.

Alternatively, this may sound a bit cheeky, but if I send someone a couple of blank tapes, would anyone be willing to tape them for me?

PM me if you want to discuss.

Thanks