Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Teenage Son Not Coming Until Later

Teenage Son Not Coming Until Later

Old Oct 14th 2005, 1:56 am
Forum Regular

Higgy is on a distinguished road
Default Teenage Son Not Coming Until Later

We have just received our work permit letters and are awaiting PR through the BC PNP. Our teenage son has decided that he is going to stay in Scotland until next June to finish college. I would be grateful if anyone can clear up a few questions I now have.

Firstly, do we now have to let customs know in advance that he will not be joining us until later or do we just tell them that at the airport? And second question - if we get our requests for medicals before he joins us, will he be able to go here in the UK while we get ours in Canada?

I'd appreciate any help and advice. Thanks.
Old Oct 14th 2005, 2:44 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Teenage Son Not Coming Until Later

Originally Posted by Higgy
We have just received our work permit letters and are awaiting PR through the BC PNP. Our teenage son has decided that he is going to stay in Scotland until next June to finish college. I would be grateful if anyone can clear up a few questions I now have.

Firstly, do we now have to let customs know in advance that he will not be joining us until later or do we just tell them that at the airport? And second question - if we get our requests for medicals before he joins us, will he be able to go here in the UK while we get ours in Canada?

I'd appreciate any help and advice. Thanks.

What do you mean by 'joining you later'? Are you going to include him on your application, have him 'land' as a PR in Canada at the same time as you, and then return to the UK for a year or so?

Or are you planning something different?

Jeremy
Old Oct 14th 2005, 7:21 pm
Forum Regular

I applied for PNP which i have now and PR application is in now with him on it too. As it stands at the moment i have got my work permit through and i also applied for one for my wife and other son which i have received as well. We go over at the end of November but my other son started a college course which finishes at the beginning of next year and i would have liked him to be able to finish it before coming over. I am hoping that this will be ok as it would be a shame to waste the time already spent.

Originally Posted by JAJ
What do you mean by 'joining you later'? Are you going to include him on your application, have him 'land' as a PR in Canada at the same time as you, and then return to the UK for a year or so?

Or are you planning something different?

Jeremy
Old Oct 15th 2005, 2:42 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Higgy
I applied for PNP which i have now and PR application is in now with him on it too. As it stands at the moment i have got my work permit through and i also applied for one for my wife and other son which i have received as well. We go over at the end of November but my other son started a college course which finishes at the beginning of next year and i would have liked him to be able to finish it before coming over. I am hoping that this will be ok as it would be a shame to waste the time already spent.

In that case you don't need to say anything on arrival about him 'not joining you' (that will only cause confusion). It's perfectly ok for dependents to 'land' separately, provided he arrives after you and before the deadline given.

For his PR Card, he should give the same address as you. You should courier it over to him in the UK once it's received (don't use regular post).

Once he has landed he needs to clock up 2 years in Canada in the first 5 to comply with residency obligations. And a constant 2/5 rule applies after that until he becomes a Canadian citizen.

Jeremy
Old Oct 15th 2005, 3:05 am
Forum Regular

Thanks very much Jeremy....puts my mind at rest on one more issue

Originally Posted by JAJ
In that case you don't need to say anything on arrival about him 'not joining you' (that will only cause confusion). It's perfectly ok for dependents to 'land' separately, provided he arrives after you and before the deadline given.

For his PR Card, he should give the same address as you. You should courier it over to him in the UK once it's received (don't use regular post).

Once he has landed he needs to clock up 2 years in Canada in the first 5 to comply with residency obligations. And a constant 2/5 rule applies after that until he becomes a Canadian citizen.

Jeremy