Taking Medicals

Old Dec 1st 2009, 10:19 am
BE Forum Addict

burton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Taking Medicals

As there seems to be so many people waiting for med requests at the moment and then finding them stressful to take, I thought I would let people know how we have gone on today.

We drove to Calgary (Elbow Drive) for our today and have to say that everyones efficiency was great.

The medical is nothing to really worry about - urine sample which they test there and then, height weight and blood pressure and then a consult with the doctor.

All the doctor does is look at your ears nose and throat - "say Ah" and peek in your ears - and feels your neck glands. Quick listen to the chest and then a quick abdominal feel to your tummy.

Xrays really quick and 3 minute job just to xray your chest area - the paper gowns were a hoot especially for our 15 year old girl. Blood work very simple too.

Everyone was super nice but be prepared to have to go from one place to another for xrays and bloods and consult as most doctors dont do it all but recommend where to go.

Biggest surprise is that we found out that OH has extremely high blood pressure and we have been told to get him to the GP ASAP to have it investigated. One piece of advice I would say is go and have your physical done or a checkup with your family doctor then things like these dont come and bite your bum - we had no idea of this problem and it could hold up our PPR something we cannot afford to do.

Good Luck to everyone else who is waiting - your time will come.
Old Dec 1st 2009, 2:06 pm
Forum Regular

canglish is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Taking Medicals

Sorry to hear about the possible delay

comforting to know its pretty straight foward. the girlfriends mum did a blood pressure test on me today!! (shes a nurse!) I got 120 over 80!...im told this is good?! Even though I am young and in great health, im still paranoid about this physical and chest xray! I'll post my experience thursday when im home
Old Dec 1st 2009, 7:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

joinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by burton bunch
As there seems to be so many people waiting for med requests at the moment and then finding them stressful to take, I thought I would let people know how we have gone on today.

We drove to Calgary (Elbow Drive) for our today and have to say that everyones efficiency was great.

The medical is nothing to really worry about - urine sample which they test there and then, height weight and blood pressure and then a consult with the doctor.

All the doctor does is look at your ears nose and throat - "say Ah" and peek in your ears - and feels your neck glands. Quick listen to the chest and then a quick abdominal feel to your tummy.

Xrays really quick and 3 minute job just to xray your chest area - the paper gowns were a hoot especially for our 15 year old girl. Blood work very simple too.

Everyone was super nice but be prepared to have to go from one place to another for xrays and bloods and consult as most doctors dont do it all but recommend where to go.

Biggest surprise is that we found out that OH has extremely high blood pressure and we have been told to get him to the GP ASAP to have it investigated. One piece of advice I would say is go and have your physical done or a checkup with your family doctor then things like these dont come and bite your bum - we had no idea of this problem and it could hold up our PPR something we cannot afford to do.

Hi
Sorry to hear your news burtonbunch there could have been several reasons for your chaps high reading. Would still advise as instructed to see your GP but in addition may be look at purchasing a home BP testing kit ( only as a guide ) and may be take several reading over a few days it may give you a clearer picture.
Our blood pressure can vary greatly and depends on many factors. As a general rule it is at its lowest in the small hours of the night when we are sleeping and at its greatest at sometime during the day. It is also affected by what we eat, drink do and how stressed we may be. So to try and get a stable average it is best to always take your measurements at the same time of day. We recommend early evening .
Do not eat, drink, smoke or exercise just before taking your measurements.
Try to relax; do not eat, drink, smoke or do any exercise 15 minutes before takings your measurements.
CHC/CIC are looking for a max reading of 140/90 in general.
Hope this info is of help

regards
Joinerboy

Last edited by joinerboy; Dec 1st 2009 at 7:55 pm.
Old Dec 1st 2009, 8:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

lins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
I think it is sound advice to get a swift MOT from your GP as I wish I had done so. I was found (on Monday Medical) to have an irregular pulse (which I think I have always had) and a heart murmur. If I had seen my GP this could have been investigated further and a letter supplied saying that although this has happened here are the reports to say it has been checked out and is okay.

My husband was recently diagnosed with Type 2 diabestes and high blood pressure, but found it before...so is under control and went with a report from GP...no problems. My mistake was thinking I was okay....well I don't feel that anything is wrong......but turned out it was....which will now delay ours a bit.

Hope this helps others
lol
Stef

Old Dec 1st 2009, 8:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

lins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

It is worth mentioning that we used Michael J Clarke in Knightsbridge London and the prices they quote as of Mon 30/11 were £247 per adult and £160 for children over 11 or 12 (can't remember age exactly) and this included X-rays for all and bloods for the over 15's. They do X-rays on the premises. So total cost for 2 Adults and two children 12 and 14 was £814.

Harley Street worked out at nearly £200 more as you then had to Pay for X-rays round the corner.

This is some advice for the ladies....gents I mean that in the nicest of ways lol....so look away if you are sensitive to ladies matters.

Don't book your medicals during your period or for at least 7 days after your period has finished to prevent blood traces in urine.

Be aware that if you have medium to large breasts that they may have to take two x-ray slides.....as the breast can cause a shadow. Please ask when booking as if two are required, you will have to pay for the additional x-ray. I was not told that...and told them that I was not prepared to pay it...so I didn't...just be aware.

Take a copy of your last smear, they only glance at it....but you do not have to submit to one if yours is still within dates.

I didn't get my breasts felt...just the lymph glands under the arms....but I am aware that others have had to submit to a full examination.

The Contraceptive Pill....I was subjected to the BMI ...talk...that if it is over 35 then I should not be taking the combined pill as it increases the risks of DVT. Then she put me on the scales and I hit the BMI of exactly 35....so other than advise me if it goes over not to take it...she backed off. (She was well aware that I am on a fat reducing diet through my GP and have already lost over 10kg....so it is going down and so will my BMI).

Hope this helps you gals still about to take yours.
lol
Stef

Old Dec 1st 2009, 10:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Near Colchester, Essex hoping to go to Port Moody, BC
singingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by joinerboy
Our blood pressure can vary greatly and depends on many factors. As a general rule it is at its lowest in the small hours of the night when we are sleeping and at its greatest at sometime during the day. It is also affected by what we eat, drink do and how stressed we may be. So to try and get a stable average it is best to always take your measurements at the same time of day. We recommend early evening .
Do not eat, drink, smoke or exercise just before taking your measurements.
Try to relax; do not eat, drink, smoke or do any exercise 15 minutes before takings your measurements.
CHC/CIC are looking for a max reading of 140/90 in general.

regards
Joinerboy
Sent my hubby off to docs around eight months ago because he looked flushed and kept getting headaches. He has a very stressy job, was overweight and I suspected raised blood pressure. He was diagnosed with high blood pressure (hypertension) and doc gave lifestyle advice to try first, before considering medication.

We bought a home bp monitor. OH stopped drinking alcohol completely (easier for him than cutting down), cut out caffine (coffee/diet coke etc) completely, lost a stone in weight (now lost three stone) and walked for 20 mins briskly a day. Thankfully, this brought the bp down quite quickly to normal levels and he has not had to have medication. We monitor it reguarly and will take report from doc to the meds.
Old Dec 1st 2009, 11:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Martin99 has a brilliant futureMartin99 has a brilliant futureMartin99 has a brilliant futureMartin99 has a brilliant futureMartin99 has a brilliant futureMartin99 has a brilliant future

The two of us had our medical tests on Monday. We went to the DMP in Nottingham.

It was fairly straightforward and lasted about an hour in total. The tests were: height, weight, blood pressure, blood analysis, urine analysis, ears, eyes, abdomen and then chest X-rays. Total cost was £470 for two of us. They said that all the results will be through this week and then will go off to CHC next week. Hopefully, they will be ok.

Cheers

Martin
Old Dec 2nd 2009, 12:35 am
BE Forum Addict

joinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by singingringingtree
Sent my hubby off to docs around eight months ago because he looked flushed and kept getting headaches. He has a very stressy job, was overweight and I suspected raised blood pressure. He was diagnosed with high blood pressure (hypertension) and doc gave lifestyle advice to try first, before considering medication.

We bought a home bp monitor. OH stopped drinking alcohol completely (easier for him than cutting down), cut out caffine (coffee/diet coke etc) completely, lost a stone in weight (now lost three stone) and walked for 20 mins briskly a day. Thankfully, this brought the bp down quite quickly to normal levels and he has not had to have medication. We monitor it reguarly and will take report from doc to the meds.
Hi
We are in agreement that with a little time and making changes to your lifestyle it is possible to reduce your BP in most cases. I beleive by doing this you also benefit from feeling much better in general health terms.
I do on average 12-15mile a week walking our dogs, drink no more than 4 units of alchol a week , don't smoke and try to eat heathly ( only had about Whilst this alone can't prevent illness it does help.
Old Dec 2nd 2009, 12:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Hi
Just to let you know that I got a phone call this morning from the Radiographer who took our X-rays on Monday to say that they had now been seen by the consultant who has advised that all clear and nothing to worry about. Didn't know if this was usual practice. I thought that once you had the medicals that if there were any problems you would hear from CHC. Was kinda reassuring though. Didn't want anyone to panic if they get a call...tis all.
Stef

Originally Posted by lins and Stef McLachlan
Hi
I think it is sound advice to get a swift MOT from your GP as I wish I had done so. I was found (on Monday Medical) to have an irregular pulse (which I think I have always had) and a heart murmur. If I had seen my GP this could have been investigated further and a letter supplied saying that although this has happened here are the reports to say it has been checked out and is okay.

My husband was recently diagnosed with Type 2 diabestes and high blood pressure, but found it before...so is under control and went with a report from GP...no problems. My mistake was thinking I was okay....well I don't feel that anything is wrong......but turned out it was....which will now delay ours a bit.

Hope this helps others
lol
Stef
Old Dec 2nd 2009, 1:34 am
BE Forum Addict

burton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Update here now

The DMP in Calgary told us as soon as we got back home to get to the doctors. Soo off we went to see the doctor and she couldnt believe that OH was walking around with a BP of 194/111 no other symptoms or anything. Apparantly with reading that high he should have other symptoms and if he had the other symptoms then he would have been hospitalised in ICU on drips to forcefully lower the reading

Luckily for us the Doctor is ordering tests over the next couple of days and already planning a letter to CHC for us
Old Dec 2nd 2009, 1:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Oh my God
You poor things...that reading is high....HUGE HUG coming your way....I will keep everything crossed for you. Let us know how you go on
lol
Stef

Hi

Update here now

The DMP in Calgary told us as soon as we got back home to get to the doctors. Soo off we went to see the doctor and she couldnt believe that OH was walking around with a BP of 194/111 no other symptoms or anything. Apparantly with reading that high he should have other symptoms and if he had the other symptoms then he would have been hospitalised in ICU on drips to forcefully lower the reading

Luckily for us the Doctor is ordering tests over the next couple of days and already planning a letter to CHC for us
Old Dec 2nd 2009, 3:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Martin99 has a brilliant futureMartin99 has a brilliant futureMartin99 has a brilliant futureMartin99 has a brilliant futureMartin99 has a brilliant futureMartin99 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by lins and Stef McLachlan
Hi
Just to let you know that I got a phone call this morning from the Radiographer who took our X-rays on Monday to say that they had now been seen by the consultant who has advised that all clear and nothing to worry about. Didn't know if this was usual practice. I thought that once you had the medicals that if there were any problems you would hear from CHC. Was kinda reassuring though. Didn't want anyone to panic if they get a call...tis all.
Stef
Good news! And reassuring.
Old Dec 2nd 2009, 3:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Hi

Update here now

It is fortunate that you had the medical tests. A real blessing in disguise.
Old Dec 2nd 2009, 3:51 am

lancashirebird is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

Update here now

OMG hun hope you get that sorted and there was me getting him lifting that massive box with my OH at the weekend
Could be that he has been highly stressed with the tests etc lately, just hope that he gets it sorted asap, i am here if you need me

Good idea from the other posters regarding taking letter from doctors, i may just get mine to draft something for our meds
Old Dec 2nd 2009, 5:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Coffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond repute

Hope you get the OHs blood pressure sorted,
Good luck with it all i know how long you have been waiting

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.