Sydney Consulate

Old Sep 9th 2006, 3:06 pm
Forum Regular

fatdoc is a jewel in the roughfatdoc is a jewel in the roughfatdoc is a jewel in the roughfatdoc is a jewel in the roughfatdoc is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Sydney Consulate

[QUOTE=Shadow_Dancer]All systems go!! Our thoughts are with you Wannago.

We're on hold at the moment. Our meds request went to our Toronto based lawyer who appears to be holidaying with Lord Lucan. We paid to have our fingerprints taken at Federal Police headquarters in Melbourne and duly sent them to Canberra with a check to cover the search. They were quickly returned with a demand that we pay the fingerprint fee again. Contacted Canberra and explained that we had paid this fee in Melbourne only to be told we were 'liars' as regional offices do not charge for this service. Our FP contact in Melbourne was furious and sympathetic in equal measure. He has sent a 'rocket' up the line but there is a growing suspicion there has been another alien landing in the ACT. Resubmitted the forms with cheque and proof of payment. No more letters from Little Green Men so it seems we are back in business. Have begun an Interpol search for lawyer.

never thought someone would move from Australia to Canada!!!?!?! can anyone please enlighten me?! :rolleye
Old Sep 9th 2006, 9:39 pm
Forum Regular

the big burp is on a distinguished road

theres plenty of reasons to move from aus to canada, but it all depends what you want, what lifestyle you want and what job opportunities there are in your field, etc.

[QUOTE=fatdoc]
Originally Posted by Shadow_Dancer
All systems go!! Our thoughts are with you Wannago.

We're on hold at the moment. Our meds request went to our Toronto based lawyer who appears to be holidaying with Lord Lucan. We paid to have our fingerprints taken at Federal Police headquarters in Melbourne and duly sent them to Canberra with a check to cover the search. They were quickly returned with a demand that we pay the fingerprint fee again. Contacted Canberra and explained that we had paid this fee in Melbourne only to be told we were 'liars' as regional offices do not charge for this service. Our FP contact in Melbourne was furious and sympathetic in equal measure. He has sent a 'rocket' up the line but there is a growing suspicion there has been another alien landing in the ACT. Resubmitted the forms with cheque and proof of payment. No more letters from Little Green Men so it seems we are back in business. Have begun an Interpol search for lawyer.

never thought someone would move from Australia to Canada!!!?!?! can anyone please enlighten me?! :rolleye
Old Sep 10th 2006, 12:26 pm
Forum Regular

Budgie1 is just really niceBudgie1 is just really niceBudgie1 is just really niceBudgie1 is just really niceBudgie1 is just really niceBudgie1 is just really niceBudgie1 is just really niceBudgie1 is just really nice

[QUOTE=the big burp]theres plenty of reasons to move from aus to canada, but it all depends what you want, what lifestyle you want and what job opportunities there are in your field, etc.

I think you hit the nail on the head, after just coming back from Canada after spending a month in BC the quality of housing versus cost, cost of living, wages etc is basically the same as where we are currently living.

I have several South African friends who have immigrated to Australia and the decision they inevitably had to make was to move to Australia or Canada - typically the decision hinged on two factors - hot versus cold weather and the potential isolation from US/Europe that living in Australia brings. In my friends cases they were more concerned about the cold than any potential isolation.

Personally we are going for (1) the adventure (2) because if I had to choose between extreme cold (actually we'll be living in Vancouver so not too bad) versus extreme heat/humidity we would choose the cold anyday and (3) my work has better opportunities in Canada/US (4) we find Vancouver more laid back than Sydney.

The last point is an important one - both Australia and Canada are so huge and diverse that you cannot really compare them directly - at best you can really only compare province with state and city with city.
Old Sep 10th 2006, 4:27 pm
Just Joined

Shadow_Dancer is an unknown quantity at this point

never thought someone would move from Australia to Canada!!!?!?! can anyone please enlighten me?! :rolleye[/QUOTE]

My feelings have been very well covered by Budgie and BB but I think they miss the point of your eye rolling LOL. So a few facts.
One in twenty Australians live in another country. They leave for many reasons. In fact you could say that every decision is individual. Three in ten Australians enjoy dual citizenship and have some connection with that second country. In Australia and most other Western countries about half of all immigrants return home. Put simply people are on the move. The view that this country or that country is a paradise tends to fade as you see more of the world and you get older.

Our most important reasons for going to Canada are work, family and better access to the UK where I have several ill and aging relatives who depend upon us. I guess the trigger was the last Melbourne-London flight to bury my father. On the way back I stood in a queue for seven hours at Heathrow, watching people being threatened with counter-terrorist rules when they complained. I can't dodge the madness or even Heathrow but I can side-step the 26 hour flight.

Hope this helps.
Old Sep 10th 2006, 4:31 pm
Just Joined

[QUOTE=fatdoc]
All systems go!! Our thoughts are with you Wannago.

Oh yeah, almost forgot...........we have the request for passports!!!!!!
Old Sep 10th 2006, 5:04 pm
Forum Regular

fatdoc is a jewel in the roughfatdoc is a jewel in the roughfatdoc is a jewel in the roughfatdoc is a jewel in the roughfatdoc is a jewel in the rough

[QUOTE=Shadow_Dancer]
Originally Posted by fatdoc

thanks shadow dancer for dancing and writing and congrat. Im waitin for my visa too!
i still think with all hardship immigration brings one should have really a good reason. having a tons of money or relatives who have tons of money allows you to move wherever and whenever you want. but if thats not the case, and one has friends memories and good paying job in Australia, I cant see why one should move to canada!! australia might have a better economy may be higher revenues from tourism!! kangroos...I think one main reasons people from South Africa move, is because of a cultural change and also sense of insecurity and danger...both very valid reasons! I wish everyone best of luck
Old Sep 10th 2006, 5:32 pm
Just Joined

[QUOTE=fatdoc]

thanks shadow dancer for dancing and writing and congrat. Im waitin for my visa too!
i still think with all hardship immigration brings one should have really a good reason. having a tons of money or relatives who have tons of money allows you to move wherever and whenever you want. but if thats not the case, and one has friends memories and good paying job in Australia, I cant see why one should move to canada!! australia might have a better economy may be higher revenues from tourism!! kangroos...I think one main reasons people from South Africa move, is because of a cultural change and also sense of insecurity and danger...both very valid reasons! I wish everyone best of luck
Hi fatdoc,
No problem. I'm a bit confused though. Do you hope to go to Canada? And if so why? You sound very uncertain and you are so right! Immigration is very risky. Its like throwing dice.
Old Sep 10th 2006, 9:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

didik will become famous soon enough

Congratulations!

[QUOTE=Shadow_Dancer]
Originally Posted by fatdoc

Old Sep 10th 2006, 9:19 pm
Forum Regular

Smile Re: Sydney Consulate

How congrats on your passport request shadow dancer!! Nice to know that sydney and working hard...opefully your visa will come soon too didik.
Hope your landing goes well too.

[QUOTE=didik]Congratulations!

Old Sep 10th 2006, 10:14 pm
Forum Regular

engin77 has a brilliant futureengin77 has a brilliant futureengin77 has a brilliant futureengin77 has a brilliant futureengin77 has a brilliant futureengin77 has a brilliant futureengin77 has a brilliant future

I applied at Sydney under SAP on 1st Sep 06. Got my AOR stating that the wait period is 24 months.

[QUOTE=the big burp]How congrats on your passport request shadow dancer!! Nice to know that sydney and working hard...opefully your visa will come soon too didik.

Originally Posted by didik
Congratulations!
Old Sep 10th 2006, 10:19 pm
Forum Regular

welcome to the forum engin...glad to see some new comers :-)

[QUOTE=engin77]I applied at Sydney under SAP on 1st Sep 06. Got my AOR stating that the wait period is 24 months.

Originally Posted by the big burp
How congrats on your passport request shadow dancer!! Nice to know that sydney and working hard...opefully your visa will come soon too didik.
Old Sep 10th 2006, 10:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

didik will become famous soon enough

Engin has registered since 2003! One of the oldest in our tiny group. ?[QUOTE=the big burp]welcome to the forum engin...glad to see some new comers :-)

Originally Posted by engin77
I applied at Sydney under SAP on 1st Sep 06. Got my AOR stating that the wait period is 24 months.
Old Sep 11th 2006, 12:31 pm
Just Joined

[QUOTE=the big burp]How congrats on your passport request shadow dancer!! Nice to know that sydney and working hard...opefully your visa will come soon too didik.

Originally Posted by didik
Congratulations!

Thanks Guys. I guess all up it took about 22 months which is pretty good compared to other consulates. The uncertainity combined with the waiting nearly drove us nuts but I think it has to be said that all the additional complications we read about in these threads doesn't really apply to Sydney. I guess the take home message is just sit back and wait and the thing will pop out at the end. I'm 54 with childhood-onset asthma and a TB scar on my lung...so if I am accepted for Canada, it should be a cakewalk for you younger dudes!

Good luck to all of you
Old Sep 11th 2006, 12:41 pm
Just Joined

Are any of the Aussie crowd heading for Toronto? If so, is there any point in starting a new thread in Living in Canada with the aim of pooling infomation?

Just a thought
Old Sep 11th 2006, 2:32 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Previously Sydney, Australia... now Oakville, Canada...love it!
Ginger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to all

Are any of the Aussie crowd heading for Toronto? If so, is there any point in starting a new thread in Living in Canada with the aim of pooling infomation?

Just a thought
Yes, that's where we're heading. I've had the flu the last week so still haven't had a chance to get our PR application off. I'd love to hear from more Aussies and their experiences etc.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.