Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Switching to visitor visa after IEC expires

Switching to visitor visa after IEC expires

Old Sep 4th 2014, 7:09 pm
Forum Regular

JoeJK is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Switching to visitor visa after IEC expires

So I think I may have screwed up a bit here.

My first year IEC expires today so my plan was to just switch to a visitor visa and be a tourist while my second year is processing. I thought you could do this online, so I am trying to do it now but it's not letting me fill in the app form, saying that I need to enter an expiry date greater than todays date for my "current status".

Is my only option now to go to the border and get a visitor visa? And will I have any trouble doing this if they know I'm waiting for another working visa?
Old Sep 4th 2014, 11:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Switching to visitor visa after IEC expires

Originally Posted by JoeJK
So I think I may have screwed up a bit here.

My first year IEC expires today so my plan was to just switch to a visitor visa and be a tourist while my second year is processing. I thought you could do this online, so I am trying to do it now but it's not letting me fill in the app form, saying that I need to enter an expiry date greater than todays date for my "current status".

Is my only option now to go to the border and get a visitor visa? And will I have any trouble doing this if they know I'm waiting for another working visa?
If you are waiting for a 2nd IEC and applying when the 2015 IEC opens and processing takes place you are looking at about 8 months on visitor status. Unless you have a good bank account or other funds then CBSA might be reluctant to give you 8 months if you went to the border. Having just finished working on the IEC the amount of time on visitor status might make them think you would carry on working until the 2015 IEC opens and there is no guarantee you would be accepted.
Lots of things to think about.
I have no idea how CIC would treat a restoration of status under Reg 182 as you were a worker and now want to change to visitor
Restoration of temporary resident status

Without the switch over to visitor status and remaining in the country you are classified as an overstay which could potentially lead to a removal order.