Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Switching to visitor status from IEC work visa

Switching to visitor status from IEC work visa

Old Feb 15th 2013, 5:04 am
Forum Regular

enbee is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Switching to visitor status from IEC work visa

I'm currently working in Canada on an IEC visa which expires on March 10th and I'm hoping to switch to a visitor visa as I'm applying for PR via common law partnership.

From what I understand I can apply online to change my status here:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/my_appl...online.asp?s=1

Do I just need to send a passport scan and proof of funds to support myself? I'm also a little worried that I may have left it a little late as I've read elsewhere you need to do it with 30 days left on your work permit. My other concern is that if I time things wrong then it would it cause problems with working for the last few weeks of my work visa. Any advice is appreciated!
Old Feb 15th 2013, 4:57 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Switching to visitor status from IEC work visa

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informa...end-worker.asp

You can either fill out the forms (above) or else do an electronic online application here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/ctc-vac/cometoc...come-to-canada

You would make an application to change the conditions of your stay from temporary worker (IEC) to visitor. Ask for 12 months, if you have an outland PR application going in then this should be sufficient to cover you until you get PR.

Provided your application is received by CIC before your IEC visa expires (preferably at least a week in advance) you will be on implied status until you receive approval or denial of your request. (note: do not leave Canada until you have your new visitors visa, otherwise implied status is lost).

At present, the processing times are:

Paper application - 114 days
Online application - 66 days

You will need to have a copy of your passport including the pages showing when you entered. You need to show that you have sufficient finances to maintain yourself (or a letter of support from your partner); if you are already 'common law' (i.e. have lived together for more than 12 months consecutively) then I would suggest paying the initial fees for the PR application and including a copy (clearly marked 'copy of PR fees paid') to show that you are intending on making an application for PR.

You will also need to show that you (or your partner) have sufficient funds to pay for a return ticket in the event that you are required to leave. (A credit card statement showing sufficient balance to cover an air fair would also work). I would also make sure that you state that you are aware that should your application for PR not be successful that you will be required to leave Canada.

If you need to give a reason, simply tell the truth - that you are submitting an application for PR under the family stream and you wish to remain whilst it is being processed.

Are you able to obtain a 2nd IEC? It would be worth doing if you can - at least you will be able to work.

Hope that helps

Edit: When you put an application in for PR, do an outland application - it's far quicker - and you are allowed to remain in Canada whilst it is being processed, provided you keep up your visitor status or have a work permit

Last edited by Siouxie; Feb 15th 2013 at 5:03 pm.
Old Feb 20th 2013, 7:33 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for the great reply! I am indeed applying outland, hopefully I won't have to be sat around at home not working for too long.

Unfortunately I can't apply for another IEC, I have already had two and and a visa from BUNAC before that! Thanks again for all the info
Old Oct 3rd 2013, 2:54 am
Just Joined

ljb1987 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Enbee, I am in the exact situation as you now, I am just wondering if you ended up doing the online application, and if you did, did you include a 'statutory decalaration of common-law' as the guideline tells you to? I am a little confused as to where I am supposed to upload this declaration as it is not on the onlilne checklist?
Old Oct 3rd 2013, 3:42 am
Forum Regular

I ended up sending my application in the post and did include a declaration of common-law status.
Old Oct 3rd 2013, 4:35 am
Just Joined

ljb1987 is an unknown quantity at this point

Ok thanks enbee- I may have to do this aswell, as I can not find the info I need anywhere! Also, were you able to stay in Canada on implied status while you waited for the results of your change to visitor status? Thanks again for the reply!
Old Oct 3rd 2013, 5:02 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ljb1987
Ok thanks enbee- I may have to do this aswell, as I can not find the info I need anywhere! Also, were you able to stay in Canada on implied status while you waited for the results of your change to visitor status? Thanks again for the reply!
No problem! I was able to stay on Canada on Implied Visitor Status while I waited for the paperwork to come through.