Wikiposts

SWAP induction and SIN numbers

Old Jul 28th 2009, 3:37 am
Forum Regular

jaynewithay is just really nicejaynewithay is just really nicejaynewithay is just really nicejaynewithay is just really nicejaynewithay is just really nicejaynewithay is just really nicejaynewithay is just really nicejaynewithay is just really nice
Default SWAP induction and SIN numbers

Hello,
Me and my boyfriend are heading to Vancouver for the second time on a BUNAC visa in September. Last time we went through the usual SWAP induction meeting then received a slip of paper a few days later with our SIN numbers. Now I've heard that actually we don't need to go through SWAP at all and could just go to city hall and get our numbers instantly (though you still have to wait for a card). I was just wondering if anyone could shed any light on this for me.

Really can't be bothered to go to the SWAP meeting again expecially as it's 4 days after we arrived so would be great to get our SINs straight away.

If there's anyone out there whose gone it alone without SWAP successfully it'd be great to hear from you!

Less than 2 months till we land in Vancouver now

Jayne
Old Jul 28th 2009, 3:47 am
BE Enthusiast

lucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud of
Default Re: SWAP induction and SIN numbers

Originally Posted by jaynewithay
Hello,
Me and my boyfriend are heading to Vancouver for the second time on a BUNAC visa in September. Last time we went through the usual SWAP induction meeting then received a slip of paper a few days later with our SIN numbers. Now I've heard that actually we don't need to go through SWAP at all and could just go to city hall and get our numbers instantly (though you still have to wait for a card). I was just wondering if anyone could shed any light on this for me.

Really can't be bothered to go to the SWAP meeting again expecially as it's 4 days after we arrived so would be great to get our SINs straight away.

If there's anyone out there whose gone it alone without SWAP successfully it'd be great to hear from you!

Jayne
Hey Jayne,

I came out the second time and didn't bother with the SWAP induction, if you've already been here and done it before you don't need too. Plus you can get your SIN number directly from Service Canada (they'll just extend the date of your old one) quicker than they can.

Cheers,

Lucie
Old Jul 28th 2009, 4:01 am
Forum Regular

jaynewithay is just really nicejaynewithay is just really nicejaynewithay is just really nicejaynewithay is just really nicejaynewithay is just really nicejaynewithay is just really nicejaynewithay is just really nicejaynewithay is just really nice

Originally Posted by lucieg
Hey Jayne,

I came out the second time and didn't bother with the SWAP induction, if you've already been here and done it before you don't need too. Plus you can get your SIN number directly from Service Canada (they'll just extend the date of your old one) quicker than they can.

Cheers,

Lucie
Awesome thanks for that Lucie, you know what I think I even have my old card knocking around so if they just extend the number that could save the wait for a card, ummm unless it has an expory date, I can't remember

Hopefully we'll be able to follow a similar route to you and get a job who'll be happy to apply for an AEO or LMO. Fingers crossed!!
Old Jul 28th 2009, 4:17 am
BE Enthusiast

lucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud of

Awesome thanks for that Lucie, you know what I think I even have my old card knocking around so if they just extend the number that could save the wait for a card, ummm unless it has an expory date, I can't remember

Hopefully we'll be able to follow a similar route to you and get a job who'll be happy to apply for an AEO or LMO. Fingers crossed!!
Your old card does have an expiry but it'll be the same number. You don't actually really need your card anyway as long as you have the number, I don't think anyones asked to see mine yet.

Good luck!
Old Jul 28th 2009, 7:04 am
Forum Regular

TomHoney has a reputation beyond reputeTomHoney has a reputation beyond reputeTomHoney has a reputation beyond reputeTomHoney has a reputation beyond reputeTomHoney has a reputation beyond reputeTomHoney has a reputation beyond reputeTomHoney has a reputation beyond reputeTomHoney has a reputation beyond reputeTomHoney has a reputation beyond reputeTomHoney has a reputation beyond reputeTomHoney has a reputation beyond repute

I didnt go to Swap meeting the first time I went on bunac but am thinking about it on my second time is it worth it?

I know how to get my sin number from service canada.
Old Jul 28th 2009, 8:05 am
Forum Regular

If you've already been to Canada the you probably know most of what they tell you. They help you sort out your SIN, advise you on taxes, how to apply for jobs, warn you about areas to avoid in town, offer you mobile phone deals, advice about banks etc.

We may still go even if we get our SINs sorted ourselves, I need to get myself a mobile so if they've got a good deal it'll be worth it and I've heard they offer you some good bank deals now with lower charges though that may not be true, worth finding out though!
Old Aug 2nd 2009, 5:44 am
Just Joined

dee8479 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello,

Jayne
Yeap i came here using Bunac Jan 09, but i did all my paper work my self, yeah it took about a week or so to get my card, went to the city hall office got a page printed out with my SIN number 7days later got my card. I just attended 1 Swap meeting, and after that i never went back cos i did not see the use for it or i did not see what i was gaining my going there