Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

SW Application, Seperate work permit?

Wikiposts

SW Application, Seperate work permit?

Old Apr 20th 2008, 9:28 pm
Forum Regular

Alanandson has a brilliant futureAlanandson has a brilliant futureAlanandson has a brilliant futureAlanandson has a brilliant futureAlanandson has a brilliant futureAlanandson has a brilliant futureAlanandson has a brilliant future
Default SW Application, Seperate work permit?

Hi all,

My partner and I have a SW appliation in the queue in London, (Entered into the queue in Nov 07).

I'm at the early stages or applying for an Intra-company transfer and I understand that there are possibly two ways to go about it, from a Visa point of view. The first is to get a TWP and then apply for PR once i'm over and working and the second is to attach an employment offer to a SW application and have it 'fasttracked' due to the offer of employment.

My question is, with an existing SW application in the queue, is it best to go down the route of getting a letter of employment and LMO and then forwarding it on to London or can I obtain a TWP and then work on my application while i'm there?

I'm assuming that applying for a TWP seperately will confuse things as we already have a PR application submitted?
Old Apr 21st 2008, 2:00 am

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: SW Application, Seperate work permit?

You are confused. Job offer alone won't help at all with PR application, it is a worthless piece of paper. To claim arranged employment you must either (1) work already in Canada on valid work permit and have employer's offer to convert your temporary employment to permanent position after you become a PR, or (2) if you don't intent to work in Canada before becoming a PR you need a job offer to hire you after you become a PR with positive AEO (Arranged Employment Opinion) from HRSDC/Service Canada.

If you are going through intra-company transfer then LMO is not needed.

Applying for TWP will not confuse anything.
Old Apr 21st 2008, 2:28 am
Forum Regular

Alanandson has a brilliant futureAlanandson has a brilliant futureAlanandson has a brilliant futureAlanandson has a brilliant futureAlanandson has a brilliant futureAlanandson has a brilliant futureAlanandson has a brilliant future

Okay, thanks for the reply.

Could you clarify the situation whereby if I held an intra-company transfer permit (LMO Exempt), this could then be used to support my PR application? Are there any differences between an Intra-company transfer employee and a standard employee on a temporary work permit, when it comes to supporting their PR Application once in Canada, working?

Last edited by Alanandson; Apr 21st 2008 at 2:32 am.
Old Apr 21st 2008, 3:40 am

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes, you can use it as arranged employment. It is irrelevant if you work in Canada on WP requiring LMO or LMO exempt. Even working in Canada on BUNAC or on spousal open work permit can be used as long as job is in skilled occupation, employer expresses intent to hire you permanently after you become a PR and of course if you are the principal applicant in PR application.
Old Apr 21st 2008, 4:03 am
Forum Regular

thanks for clearing that up.