Surname on Passport

Old Sep 27th 2006, 7:10 am
Forum Regular

kathleen_cg is on a distinguished road
Default Surname on Passport

Hey everyone,

My Canadian passport is in my maiden name, but when I married my British husband in the UK I took on his name. Now all my documents (bank accounts, driver's license, etc.) are in my married name, except for my passport.

My concern is, should I use my maiden or married name when applying to sponsor my spouse or does it matter?
Old Sep 27th 2006, 7:24 pm
Forum Regular

Default Re: Surname on Passport

If anyone could help me out here, I'd really appreciate it!

Thanks, Kathleen
Old Sep 27th 2006, 8:25 pm
Banned

Lees147 has much to be proud ofLees147 has much to be proud ofLees147 has much to be proud ofLees147 has much to be proud ofLees147 has much to be proud ofLees147 has much to be proud ofLees147 has much to be proud ofLees147 has much to be proud ofLees147 has much to be proud ofLees147 has much to be proud ofLees147 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by kathleen_cg
Hey everyone,

My Canadian passport is in my maiden name, but when I married my British husband in the UK I took on his name. Now all my documents (bank accounts, driver's license, etc.) are in my married name, except for my passport.

My concern is, should I use my maiden or married name when applying to sponsor my spouse or does it matter?
It normally asks for your current name.

There are entry boxes for maiden names but i would suggest you get your passport updated i think it is £51.

This will give you the standard 10 years validation once again.

Last edited by Lees147; Sep 27th 2006 at 8:38 pm.
Old Sep 27th 2006, 8:31 pm
Banned

Lees147 has much to be proud ofLees147 has much to be proud ofLees147 has much to be proud ofLees147 has much to be proud ofLees147 has much to be proud ofLees147 has much to be proud ofLees147 has much to be proud ofLees147 has much to be proud ofLees147 has much to be proud ofLees147 has much to be proud ofLees147 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Lees147
It normally asks for your current name.

There are entry boxes for maiden names but i would suggest you get your passport updated i think it is free!!!
The below was a quote from this web address.

http://www.passport.gov.uk/passport_amending_visas.asp

"When you apply to amend your passport we cancel your current passport and issue you a new one. This can mean that visas in your current passport become invalid. Please check with the issuing authorities whether an unexpired visa in a cancelled passport can still be used. If not, you will have to reapply for the visas in question."

In other words you visa will be invalidated by changing your name after you apply so therefore get it all changed then apply this will be the easiest route.

Hope this helps
Old Sep 28th 2006, 1:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

But the OP isn't getting a visa, she's the sponsor. I wouldn't worry about it, I take it you're including a copy of your marriage certificate - it'll be clear to an officer from that what your name was/is.
Old Sep 28th 2006, 1:33 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
But the OP isn't getting a visa, she's the sponsor. I wouldn't worry about it, I take it you're including a copy of your marriage certificate - it'll be clear to an officer from that what your name was/is.
She still needs to photocopy her passport for the purpose of the application.

We never changed my wifes name due to the fact we thought it would be to complicated and we will do this after i move over.
Old Sep 28th 2006, 2:00 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for your replies. Yes, I'll be including a copy of my Canadian passport, as well as the stamp in my passport giving me indefinite leave to remain in the UK which also includes my husband's name. I would think they'll be sensible enough to believe that I'm the same person.

Thanks again, Kathleen