Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Supporting letter for FSW application

Supporting letter for FSW application

Old Dec 15th 2011, 12:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Lloydies is just really niceLloydies is just really niceLloydies is just really niceLloydies is just really niceLloydies is just really niceLloydies is just really niceLloydies is just really niceLloydies is just really niceLloydies is just really niceLloydies is just really nice
Default Supporting letter for FSW application

We're running out of time and thinking about just going for it with a FSW application. We've been here 3 years now as TWP's and just waited 7 months for CIC to process and approve our latest TWP extension! OH's company is applying for another LMO now hopefully taking us from an unskilled LMO & TWP to a skilled LMO by making him a Supervisor. I don't know how successful this is going to be so we're thinking about just going for it, with an application for PR.

Here's the thing ... without the positive LMO & TWP in the skilled position, we are short on points. So, we're going to apply under 'substituted evaluation' with supporting documents. Has anyone any experience in this? What should we provide, and include in our letter?

My brother lives here, and has PR, so we have a family member in Alberta/ we could provide letters of support from local friends/ job offer letters for both my OH and myself (although mine isn't approved by HRSDC and OH's is NOC level C).

Anybody??? Any pointers appreciated.
Old Dec 15th 2011, 9:42 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Supporting letter for FSW application

I'm a bit confused! Which visa route are you planning on applying under?

You mention points so I'd assume Skilled Worker, but then you also say your job isn't HRSDC approved and your husband's is Skill Level C, so I can't see how you'd be eligible as a FSW?

Unless of course you're planning on applying under a previous job as a FSW cat 1 ('the list' of eligible occupations)? If you can clarify then we can help.

And if you are eligible to apply as a FSW and do substituted evaluation, how many points short are you?
Old Dec 15th 2011, 4:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lloydies is just really niceLloydies is just really niceLloydies is just really niceLloydies is just really niceLloydies is just really niceLloydies is just really niceLloydies is just really niceLloydies is just really niceLloydies is just really niceLloydies is just really nice

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
I'm a bit confused! Which visa route are you planning on applying under?

You mention points so I'd assume Skilled Worker, but then you also say your job isn't HRSDC approved and your husband's is Skill Level C, so I can't see how you'd be eligible as a FSW?

Unless of course you're planning on applying under a previous job as a FSW cat 1 ('the list' of eligible occupations)? If you can clarify then we can help.

And if you are eligible to apply as a FSW and do substituted evaluation, how many points short are you?
FSW 1 from previous skilled experience. Short of 5 points - we think. Do you think this is an extremely long shot? We've been here 3 years, so have settled etc and can provide supporting letters from employers, friends and other people in the community.
Old Dec 15th 2011, 5:10 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lloydies
FSW 1 from previous skilled experience.
Ah, ok. Thx for clarifying.

What's the NOC code you'd be applying under, is it one that's met its quota (or nearly has)? And if so, would waiting until next July to apply give you any more points or not?

If not, then I'd give it a shot as you are probably in the strongest position I've heard of for substituted evaluation. Might be worth getting an immigration lawyer/consultant involved though, even if they just check your application over, just so you can be sure you're putting the best possible case forward.

Best of luck.
Old Dec 15th 2011, 5:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ah, ok. Thx for clarifying.

What's the NOC code you'd be applying under, is it one that's met its quota (or nearly has)? And if so, would waiting until next July to apply give you any more points or not?

If not, then I'd give it a shot as you are probably in the strongest position I've heard of for substituted evaluation. Might be worth getting an immigration lawyer/consultant involved though, even if they just check your application over, just so you can be sure you're putting the best possible case forward.

Best of luck.
Cheers. The NOC isn't actually on the list of 29, so we were going to apply based on another NOC 4167 together with current LMO and WP and our time in Canada also with a family member etc.

I think you're right about the lawyer. We'll definitely look into that.
Old Dec 15th 2011, 5:23 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Cheers. The NOC isn't actually on the list of 29, so we were going to apply based on another NOC 4167 together with current LMO and WP and our time in Canada also with a family member etc.
Sorry, but I can't see how you're eligible then (even if you did have enough points).

If you want to apply as FSW category 2 (arranged employment), then the LMO/TWP you use for your arranged employment proof *must* be for a skilled job. And if you want to apply as FSW category 1 ('the list'), then you must have experience in a job on the list of 29 eligible occupations.

No point applying at all if you don't qualify under one of the above, so I think your only option is to hope you get the skilled LMO/TWP and then apply as FSW cat 2.

Good luck.
Old Dec 15th 2011, 5:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sorry, but I can't see how you're eligible then (even if you did have enough points).

If you want to apply as FSW category 2 (arranged employment), then the LMO/TWP you use for your arranged employment proof *must* be for a skilled job. And if you want to apply as FSW category 1 ('the list'), then you must have experience in a job on the list of 29 eligible occupations.

No point applying at all if you don't qualify under one of the above, so I think your only option is to hope you get the skilled LMO/TWP and then apply as FSW cat 2.

Good luck.
Oh! I was looking at the CIC site and it comes up with an option for 'other' so thought we're covered due to working in Canada, and having previous skilled experience. Not the case?
Old Dec 15th 2011, 7:49 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Oh! I was looking at the CIC site and it comes up with an option for 'other' so thought we're covered due to working in Canada, and having previous skilled experience. Not the case?
No, afraid not. There used to be FSW cat 3 which was for people that had a year's work experience in Canada, although that work experience would still have to be Skilled (hence the Federal Skilled Worker, whatever job you're applying under *must* be NOC Level A, O or B i.e. Skilled).

There is also the Canadian Experience Class for people who have 2 years work experience in Canada, but again that must be Skilled I'm afraid.

Unless your PNP has a semi or low skilled option, or you have another route that you haven't mentioned (i.e. would qualify under the self-employed class or have enough for an investor visa etc) I can't see any way you can apply for PR at the moment I'm afraid.
Old Dec 16th 2011, 4:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

No, afraid not. There used to be FSW cat 3 which was for people that had a year's work experience in Canada, although that work experience would still have to be Skilled (hence the Federal Skilled Worker, whatever job you're applying under *must* be NOC Level A, O or B i.e. Skilled).

There is also the Canadian Experience Class for people who have 2 years work experience in Canada, but again that must be Skilled I'm afraid.

Unless your PNP has a semi or low skilled option, or you have another route that you haven't mentioned (i.e. would qualify under the self-employed class or have enough for an investor visa etc) I can't see any way you can apply for PR at the moment I'm afraid.
Looks like we're out of luck then We'll have to keep our fingers crossed for the Supervisor position.