Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Super Visa and Parent sponsorship questions

Super Visa and Parent sponsorship questions

Old Sep 20th 2016, 4:46 pm
Just Joined

JennLee is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Super Visa and Parent sponsorship questions

Hello Everyone,

I’m new to posting to this forum but I’ve been lurking for a long time. Thank you all for the valuable information.

My husband and I are Canadian PRs and he’s looking into supporting his mother to come live with us. We plan on applying for a super visa so she can be here sooner rather than later, and apply for PR come next January. We have some questions:

1) Will she be denied for having Celiac disease? What kinds of medical issues would make her inadmissible? I’ve read Celiac is not considered to be a serious disease, but I didn’t find an official source.

2) The undertaker for PR is a lot of responsibility! I’m not sure I’m comfortable signing it for my mother-in-law. I understand if I don’t sign it only my husband’s income will count for meeting the LICO + I would still be in the family count for LICO. Could this impact the application negatively?

3) Since my sister-in-law is pregnant and lives in Italy, my mother-in-law might visit her at least twice per year for short periods of time. If she successfully gets a super Visa, will it be difficult every time she comes back to Canada? Does she need to provide all documentation each time? Could this impact her PR application?

4) My father-in-law is legally married to my mother-in-law, but we don’t plan on including him on the application. Is this going to be a problem for us?

Thank you!
Old Sep 20th 2016, 4:52 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Super Visa and Parent sponsorship questions

Hi, and welcome to BE.

I'll try and help a bit with your questions, there are lots on the forum who have been down the Supervisa route who I'm sure will help more though!

1) That will be fine. The only issues with failing a medical are things that are contagious/a danger to public health, or things that will cost the Canadian healthcare system more than approx $6.5k a year. Coeliac Disease won't come under either of those I don't think!

2) Sorry, I've no idea. Just checking, your husband has been in Canada and earning for at least 3 years?

3) No issue at all.

4) Should be fine IMO. You'll have to declare him on the application, but just put him down as non-accompanying and I'm guessing they're separated, so he shouldn't be a factor.

HTH a bit at least!

Good luck.
Old Sep 20th 2016, 6:12 pm
Just Joined

JennLee is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you christmasoompa!

Yes, he's been working/earning in Canada for more than 3 years.
Old Sep 21st 2016, 12:11 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JennLee
Hello Everyone,

I’m new to posting to this forum but I’ve been lurking for a long time. Thank you all for the valuable information.

My husband and I are Canadian PRs and he’s looking into supporting his mother to come live with us. We plan on applying for a super visa so she can be here sooner rather than later, and apply for PR come next January. We have some questions:

1) Will she be denied for having Celiac disease? What kinds of medical issues would make her inadmissible? I’ve read Celiac is not considered to be a serious disease, but I didn’t find an official source.

2) The undertaker for PR is a lot of responsibility! I’m not sure I’m comfortable signing it for my mother-in-law. I understand if I don’t sign it only my husband’s income will count for meeting the LICO + I would still be in the family count for LICO. Could this impact the application negatively?

3) Since my sister-in-law is pregnant and lives in Italy, my mother-in-law might visit her at least twice per year for short periods of time. If she successfully gets a super Visa, will it be difficult every time she comes back to Canada? Does she need to provide all documentation each time? Could this impact her PR application?

4) My father-in-law is legally married to my mother-in-law, but we don’t plan on including him on the application. Is this going to be a problem for us?

Thank you!
Your husband does not need you as a co-sponsor if his income meets CIC requirements for the number of family members in the household...including yourself. If not a co-sponsor will be required or the application will not be accepted.