Suggestions?

Old Oct 15th 2002, 7:31 am
Forum Regular

BritBob is a jewel in the roughBritBob is a jewel in the roughBritBob is a jewel in the roughBritBob is a jewel in the roughBritBob is a jewel in the rough
Default Suggestions?

Hi
I have a number of queries regarding my predicament and I`m unsure exactly what road the follow. I`ll start from the beginning. My ambition is to move to Canada (NB to be precise) and to live and work peacefully with my Canadian girlfriend. Kelley came here to the UK three months ago and is currently living with me. She`s in the UK under extended visitor rights. I`m sponsoring her as she does not have permission to work here. She has been allowed to remain here until January of next year, after that we`ll decide what to do next. Our ambition is to move to Canada as soon as possible, we only wish to live together and I look forward to a new start in Canada. I know Kelley misses Canada, especially her Tim Hortons!!! Our biggest concern is where on earth do I start on this immigration issue. I have been told I could go to Canada with Kelley anytime as a visitor for 6 months and then apply within. Unfortunately this would not be financially viable for me. I would dearly like to start work as soon as I get there or within a reasonable time period. To be honest it wouldn`t take me long to pack up my things and be gone from here, unfortunately we have to realistic and cannot live in a dream world. Things like this don`t happen overnight even though I wish they could. I am reasonably skilled in work experience, I`ve spent 12 years in a Machining/mechanical engineering enviroment. I wanted to avoid going down the skilled worker route, it seems as though there is a million things that go against me on that one. Is there a simple and easy route for me and Kelley to go down so we can get to New Brunswick and settle down peacefully. Thankyou for your time.
Regards,
Rob.
Old Oct 15th 2002, 7:38 am
Forum Regular

Bud4life is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Suggestions?

Easiest Way, Get Married and then ask your GF to sponsor you. .

Bud.
Old Oct 15th 2002, 10:29 pm
The Wizzard

Short of that, if you can make it so you can live together, cohabiting as a
proper couple joint bank accounts bills lease etc for at least a year then
you could qualify under the common-law partner category and she could
sponsor you, but all thats gonna require her to stay in the UK for a year or
so more if you want the visa before you go so you can work when you land.
So possibly it might be worth applying for her leave to stay indefinately in
the UK, but of course damn you cant do that as you arent married. hrm.
Well to do that you need to find someway for her to remain legally in the UK
for the length of time needed to become commonlaw partners then apply.
Possibly you could afford for her to fly back to Canada then return to the
UK under the commonwealth working tourist visa. If she is unmarried as she
is and young enough to qualify then she can stay in the UK for upto 2 years
and work as long as the work is to support her travelling.
Otherwise you may be best getting married or saving up and going the inland
route.
IF you don't want to get maried yet then you might have no choice but for
her to go home and you to jsut visit her until you do want to get married.

Drew

"Bud4life" wrote in message
news:444581.1034710697@britishexpats-
.com
    > Easiest Way, Get Married and then ask your GF to sponsor you. .
    > Bud.
    > --
    > Have Fun Go Mad ) !!
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Oct 16th 2002, 3:10 am
Britbob

"The Wizzard" wrote in message news:...
    > Short of that, if you can make it so you can live together, cohabiting as a
    > proper couple joint bank accounts bills lease etc for at least a year then
    > you could qualify under the common-law partner category and she could
    > sponsor you, but all thats gonna require her to stay in the UK for a year or
    > so more if you want the visa before you go so you can work when you land.
    > So possibly it might be worth applying for her leave to stay indefinately in
    > the UK, but of course damn you cant do that as you arent married. hrm.
    > Well to do that you need to find someway for her to remain legally in the UK
    > for the length of time needed to become commonlaw partners then apply.
    > Possibly you could afford for her to fly back to Canada then return to the
    > UK under the commonwealth working tourist visa. If she is unmarried as she
    > is and young enough to qualify then she can stay in the UK for upto 2 years
    > and work as long as the work is to support her travelling.
    > Otherwise you may be best getting married or saving up and going the inland
    > route.
    > IF you don't want to get maried yet then you might have no choice but for
    > her to go home and you to jsut visit her until you do want to get married.
    > Drew
    > "Bud4life" wrote in message
    > news:444581.1034710697@britishexpa-
    > ts.com
    > >
    > > Easiest Way, Get Married and then ask your GF to sponsor you. .
    > >
    > >
    > > Bud.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Have Fun Go Mad ) !!
    > >
    > >
    > > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Many thanks for the replies. Unfortunately the marriage route is a
dead end for now. She`s married but she has been formally seperated
for over a year now. It`s a mutual agreement between them with no
malice involved.
Some thoughts on the inland route would be appreciated??
Once again many thanks for your time.

Old Oct 16th 2002, 3:45 am
Forum Regular

johnparker is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by BritBob:
Hi
I have a number of queries regarding my predicament and I`m unsure exactly what road the follow. I`ll start from the beginning. My ambition is to move to Canada (NB to be precise) and to live and work peacefully with my Canadian girlfriend. Kelley came here to the UK three months ago and is currently living with me. She`s in the UK under extended visitor rights. I`m sponsoring her as she does not have permission to work here. She has been allowed to remain here until January of next year, after that we`ll decide what to do next. Our ambition is to move to Canada as soon as possible, we only wish to live together and I look forward to a new start in Canada. I know Kelley misses Canada, especially her Tim Hortons!!! Our biggest concern is where on earth do I start on this immigration issue. I have been told I could go to Canada with Kelley anytime as a visitor for 6 months and then apply within. Unfortunately this would not be financially viable for me. I would dearly like to start work as soon as I get there or within a reasonable time period. To be honest it wouldn`t take me long to pack up my things and be gone from here, unfortunately we have to realistic and cannot live in a dream world. Things like this don`t happen overnight even though I wish they could. I am reasonably skilled in work experience, I`ve spent 12 years in a Machining/mechanical engineering enviroment. I wanted to avoid going down the skilled worker route, it seems as though there is a million things that go against me on that one. Is there a simple and easy route for me and Kelley to go down so we can get to New Brunswick and settle down peacefully. Thankyou for your time.
Regards,
Rob.
hi there rob

just to let you know you are in the right skill as thats what they are wanting over there, but you need to have 75 points to get out there , because your girlfriend is canadian then you may be lucky she maybe able to sponsor you , but the disadvantage she is still married and i dont know if that will go down very well why dont you give the candian embassy a call on 0207 2586600 and see what they can advise you, there is currently a 15 to 24 waiting list for emmigration. also i have 69 points to get out there the only thing i can do is go on a working visa this will get me an extra 5 points and if i get a job offer than will be 10 points so i will be well over. you need money and family out there to get in a little easier good luck any queries please email me
johnparker530@hotmail

john
Old Oct 16th 2002, 4:14 am
Bodza Bodza

"The Wizzard" wrote:
    > Well to do that you need to find someway for her to remain legally in the UK
    > for the length of time needed to become commonlaw partners then apply.
    > Possibly you could afford for her to fly back to Canada then return to the
    > UK under the commonwealth working tourist visa.

There's another slightly riskier way. She leaves and goes to France
and flies back into Dublin. They will stamp her with a three month
visa then she can cross into the UK for another three months. At the
end of the three months she leaves for France again, only this time
she goes back to the UK.
Both times she comes for a "visit" and changes her mind.
That will give her the year.
The other option is as wizzard said, to get married.

The inland route (marriage) in Canada has a rough timeline of about a
year to getting landing papers but say four to six months to being
able to work.

If you really want to be with this girl, my suggestion is to marry
her.

Old Oct 16th 2002, 5:35 am
Forum Regular

BritBob is a jewel in the roughBritBob is a jewel in the roughBritBob is a jewel in the roughBritBob is a jewel in the roughBritBob is a jewel in the rough

Thanks for the advice guys, you`ve all certainly given me lots to think about. I think the marriage one is out of the question at the moment.
Is staying in Canada for 6 months (visitor) and being sponsored by my GF a viable option?
She`s been here in the UK since July and has approval to stay here until January next year. Would it be sensible to return with her to Canada when her permission to stay here expires. This inland application is a little misleading!! Do I need to marry her to make such an application.
Oh man, this could put me in a straight jacket
Old Oct 16th 2002, 6:28 am
Forum Regular

ngoodlad is an unknown quantity at this point

Have you looked into conjugal sponsorship? I'm sponsoring my boyfriend to come to Canada as my conjugal partner. You have to prove that you have had a relationship for at least 12 months (photos, letters, statement from relatives etc). This way you don't have to get married and you don't need to have joint accounts or mortgages etc. This will take about a year though. I have had to come back to Canada in the meantimne while my boyfriend is still in the UK. It's tough, but will be worth it in the long run. I suppose you would probably have to wait until your GF is divorced though, as I can't imagine she would be able to sponsor you while she is still married.

Best of luck

Thanks for the advice guys, you`ve all certainly given me lots to think about. I think the marriage one is out of the question at the moment.
Is staying in Canada for 6 months (visitor) and being sponsored by my GF a viable option?
She`s been here in the UK since July and has approval to stay here until January next year. Would it be sensible to return with her to Canada when her permission to stay here expires. This inland application is a little misleading!! Do I need to marry her to make such an application.
Oh man, this could put me in a straight jacket
Old Oct 16th 2002, 6:41 am
Forum Regular

rahul_singh23 will become famous soon enoughrahul_singh23 will become famous soon enough

Hi,
I am Indian citizen applied Canada Immgration (Independent category & non-resident of HK) from Hong Kong in Oct 1999. Apart from my file no. (in Dec 1999) and initial assessment in Jan 2000 ( saying that I have to attend interview) I did not receive any notification whatsoever.
I would like to know how much time it would take for my processing?

I am working in USA from last 2 years in IT( I updated my file in July 2001 with marriage status and USA experience and in July 2002 with my new employer and experience), is there any chance for interview waiver?

Thanks
Rahul
Old Oct 16th 2002, 11:06 am
The Wizzard

Thats a good option but like you say you cant both be in Canada as conjugal
partner can only be used is your partner is outside Canada.
Both conjugal and commonlaw partner can be used while she is still married
as long as you can demonstrate she is officialy seperated like you said.

"ngoodlad" wrote in message
news:445721.1034792889@britishexpats-
.com
    > Have you looked into conjugal sponsorship? I'm sponsoring my boyfriend
    > to come to Canada as my conjugal partner. You have to prove that you
    > have had a relationship for at least 12 months (photos, letters,
    > statement from relatives etc). This way you don't have to get married
    > and you don't need to have joint accounts or mortgages etc. This will
    > take about a year though. I have had to come back to Canada in the
    > meantimne while my boyfriend is still in the UK. It's tough, but will
    > be worth it in the long run. I suppose you would probably have to wait
    > until your GF is divorced though, as I can't imagine she would be able
    > to sponsor you while she is still married.
    > Best of luck
    > Originally posted by BritBob:
    > > Thanks for the advice guys, you`ve all certainly given me lots to
    > > think about. I think the marriage one is out of the question at
    > > the moment.
    > > Is staying in Canada for 6 months (visitor) and being sponsored by my
    > > GF a viable option?
    > > She`s been here in the UK since July and has approval to stay here
    > > until January next year. Would it be sensible to return with her to
    > > Canada when her permission to stay here expires. This inland
    > > application is a little misleading!! Do I need to marry her to make
    > > such an application.
    > Oh man, this could put me in a straight jacket
    >
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Oct 16th 2002, 5:04 pm
Forum Regular

[i]
Both conjugal and commonlaw partner can be used while she is still married
as long as you can demonstrate she is officialy seperated like you said.

That sounds great. So basically I`m better applying as a conjugal parter while we`re both in the UK. Her being married married is a definate okay?
Well, I appreciate eveything you guys have done, many thanks. Now for the long road ahead
Old Oct 16th 2002, 6:14 pm
John C. Baker

In article ,
BritBob wrote:

> I know Kelley misses Canada, especially her Tim Hortons!!!

Mmm, Tim Horton's ‹- I could go for some Timbits right about now ...

Old Oct 17th 2002, 4:46 am
Forum Regular

[QUOTE

[/SIZE][/QUOTE]

Mmmmmm, I was never too keen on Timbits and the like but I was partial to a large double double .
Back on topic, has anyone else ever been in a similar situation to mine and could maybe share their valuable experience.
It appears my best option is the Conjugal partner route so whatever other advice on this one people can give would be much appreciated. Once again, many thanks for your help guys
Old Oct 17th 2002, 4:52 am
Forum Regular

ngoodlad is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm doing the conjugal sponsorship thing just now. We are in the process of putting together evidence, police certificates etc, so haven't actually sent off the forms yet, so can't tell you much about how long it is taking. Is Kelly a Canadian citizen? If so she can sponsor you while she is in the UK, however she would have to prove that you both intend to live in Canada. So I think you need to provide evidence of searching for jobs/housing and the like. I'm still only a permanent resident which is why I have returned to Canada and my boyfriend and I alternate visits to each other.

[QUOTE

Mmmmmm, I was never too keen on Timbits and the like but I was partial to a large double double .
Back on topic, has anyone else ever been in a similar situation to mine and could maybe share their valuable experience.
It appears my best option is the Conjugal partner route so whatever other advice on this one people can give would be much appreciated. Once again, many thanks for your help guys [/SIZE][/QUOTE]
Old Oct 17th 2002, 4:58 am
Forum Regular

Originally posted by ngoodlad:
I'm doing the conjugal sponsorship thing just now. We are in the process of putting together evidence, police certificates etc, so haven't actually sent off the forms yet, so can't tell you much about how long it is taking. Is Kelly a Canadian citizen? If so she can sponsor you while she is in the UK, however she would have to prove that you both intend to live in Canada. So I think you need to provide evidence of searching for jobs/housing and the like. I'm still only a permanent resident which is why I have returned to Canada and my boyfriend and I alternate visits to each other.

[/QUOTE]

Yes, she is a Canadian citizen born and bred!! It sounds the best option for me by far. I`m going to see what other options I have (if any) before I go full steam ahead.
Wow, that must be tough for you taking turns visiting each other. This immigration process is certainly a tough affair
You say you are a permanent resident? Where are you originally from?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.