Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Submitting original documents or copies

Submitting original documents or copies

Old Feb 18th 2009, 2:28 am
Forum Regular

MarkSurrey is a name known to allMarkSurrey is a name known to allMarkSurrey is a name known to allMarkSurrey is a name known to allMarkSurrey is a name known to allMarkSurrey is a name known to allMarkSurrey is a name known to allMarkSurrey is a name known to allMarkSurrey is a name known to allMarkSurrey is a name known to allMarkSurrey is a name known to all
Default Submitting original documents or copies

When it comes to submitting documents to London, I'm going to get notarised copies of degree certificates etc, but do I need to send original job references and stuff, or should they be copies too?

It seems over the top to get everything copied, but I've seen a couple of threads where things have got lost, so maybe everything should be just copies (apart from Police certificates, which I know have to be original).

Thoughts? Experiences? Warnings?
Old Feb 18th 2009, 2:32 am
C'mon already

kazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Submitting original documents or copies

Originally Posted by MarkSurrey
When it comes to submitting documents to London, I'm going to get notarised copies of degree certificates etc, but do I need to send original job references and stuff, or should they be copies too?

It seems over the top to get everything copied, but I've seen a couple of threads where things have got lost, so maybe everything should be just copies (apart from Police certificates, which I know have to be original).

Thoughts? Experiences? Warnings?
Hi Mark,

Our 90 day letter stated photocopies of everything apart from the Police Certificate. There was nothing stated on there about notarising certificates etc. So we sent our docs off as stated in the letter. Not heard anything back yet though.

HTH

Karen
Old Feb 18th 2009, 2:36 am
Forum Regular

LynseySmith is a jewel in the roughLynseySmith is a jewel in the roughLynseySmith is a jewel in the roughLynseySmith is a jewel in the roughLynseySmith is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by kazbob
Hi Mark,

Our 90 day letter stated photocopies of everything apart from the Police Certificate. There was nothing stated on there about notarising certificates etc. So we sent our docs off as stated in the letter. Not heard anything back yet though.

HTH

Karen
Hi Mark

We did the same as kazbob. Just sent original police certs and photocopies of everthing else.

Lynsey
Old Feb 18th 2009, 2:41 am
Forum Regular

MarkSurrey is a name known to allMarkSurrey is a name known to allMarkSurrey is a name known to allMarkSurrey is a name known to allMarkSurrey is a name known to allMarkSurrey is a name known to allMarkSurrey is a name known to allMarkSurrey is a name known to allMarkSurrey is a name known to allMarkSurrey is a name known to allMarkSurrey is a name known to all

Originally Posted by kazbob
Hi Mark,

HTH

Karen
Ahhhh, that sounds easier. I thought all photocopies had to be notarised.

It seems silly to get my old employers to send me photocopies of contracts which they have signed to say they are true copies of the originals, and then photocopy those and get a notary to sign the copies to say that they are true copies of the copies my old employers have signed!
Old Feb 18th 2009, 2:43 am
BE Enthusiast

JET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to all

How many of you had the photocopies signed ? I was going to send my original references, the education certificate photocopies signed by a lawyer friend. Not too sure what needs to be signed (notary public) but could be OTT and sign everything.

What about sending into London ? Courier or Royal Mail ?

JET
Old Feb 18th 2009, 2:44 am
BE Enthusiast

rach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud of

I too sent photocopies of everything except police checks, none of which were notarised. We got our visa's without any problems, so I guess it would be ok

Good luck!
Old Feb 18th 2009, 5:14 am
Forum Regular

LynseySmith is a jewel in the roughLynseySmith is a jewel in the roughLynseySmith is a jewel in the roughLynseySmith is a jewel in the roughLynseySmith is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by JET747
How many of you had the photocopies signed ? I was going to send my original references, the education certificate photocopies signed by a lawyer friend. Not too sure what needs to be signed (notary public) but could be OTT and sign everything.

What about sending into London ? Courier or Royal Mail ?

JET
We didn't get anything notarised. Sent photocopies of docs as requested in 90 our day letter. Only original police certs asked for. We'll find out shortly if OK, I guess!

Sent Royal Mail special delivery costing just over a fiver for the pack, guaranteed next day and signed for.
Old Feb 18th 2009, 9:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

ga1lf is just really nicega1lf is just really nicega1lf is just really nicega1lf is just really nicega1lf is just really nicega1lf is just really nicega1lf is just really nicega1lf is just really nice

I got mine signed by a solicitor, just in case. A notary is a different kettle of fish and a lot more expensive.
Old Feb 18th 2009, 9:40 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ga1lf
I got mine signed by a solicitor, just in case. A notary is a different kettle of fish and a lot more expensive.
The last time I got anything notarised it was when I was selling a house, and that cost £10 for one document. Hopefully that charge wouldn't be per document, as that could get pretty expensive really quickly!!!
Old Feb 19th 2009, 3:32 am
Forum Regular

Location: We have bought a beautiful house overlooking a lake in High River!
Tamsin8 has a brilliant futureTamsin8 has a brilliant futureTamsin8 has a brilliant futureTamsin8 has a brilliant futureTamsin8 has a brilliant futureTamsin8 has a brilliant futureTamsin8 has a brilliant future

Hi all,

Just like to add my bit here which may help anyone else in the future.

I scanned all my documents (except police certificates) on my home computer. Sent them all off with Royal Mail recorded delivery (few pence extra) and we have had all documents accepted and our medical requests came through without any problems.

No need for expensive solicitors or notarised copies I say!
Old Feb 19th 2009, 4:27 am
Forum Regular

Unhappy Re: Submitting original documents or copies

It's good to hear that most people sent un-notarized photocopies, though the London Office instructions do say "Send notarized photocopies of all documents except the police certificates".

Hmmmmm.