Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Submitted citizenship papers, moving for a year abroad - Should I update CIC?

Submitted citizenship papers, moving for a year abroad - Should I update CIC?

Old Oct 31st 2007, 6:53 am
Just Joined

Sam1965 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Submitted citizenship papers, moving for a year abroad - Should I update CIC?

Hello

After being a PR for 4 years, I submitted the citizenship application.
I am waiting for a reply and in the meantime I got an offer to work abroad for a year.

I still have family in Toronto so they can get the mail sent to me (Such as an invitation to write the citizenship test or an invitation to an interview if needed).

I am willing to come to Canada in a short notice if I have to, therefore I wondered is there a need to update the address at CIC.
I am afraid that if my address is abroad, it might affect processing time.

Is there a LEGAL need to update them where I am? or is it just to keep the right address.

I called the call center and they told me that if I am abroad, they will avoid sending me invitations as of consideration - But as I said, I am willing to travel!

I don't want to be in trouble as I didn't updated them of my address if it is a must.

Will appreciate any advice!

Samuel
Old Oct 31st 2007, 7:44 am

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Submitted citizenship papers, moving for a year abroad - Should I update CIC?

You may keep mailing address in Canada, but must notify CIC about change or residential address. And you won't avoid delays - once you get to the citizenship test and your passport with stamps shows that you were not present in Canada for most time since application (or if you present brand new passport with no stamps) it will trigger basic investigation. You will receive months later letter asking to complete residency questionnaire and you may even wait for interview with judge.
Old Oct 31st 2007, 8:25 am
Just Joined

Sam1965 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Submitted citizenship papers, moving for a year abroad - Should I update CIC?

Dear Mr. Miller

Thanks for the reply. I would like to ask for a clarification.

Should I also expect delay for the citizenship test because of being abroad compared to staying in Canada?

Do you think that even if I tell them about being abroad it might also trigger the residency questionnaire and Judge interview? or your example was in case I do NOT tell them.
What are the possible delays/time line here?

In other words, maybe it is not worth taking this job offer after all...

At them time, when I applied for PR, I was told that after the 3 years, there is no need to stay in Canada. I stayed 4 years and only plan to go for 1 year. I didn't know it will complicate the process like this.

Thanks again,

Samuel
Old Oct 31st 2007, 12:16 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sam1965
Dear Mr. Miller

Thanks for the reply. I would like to ask for a clarification.

Should I also expect delay for the citizenship test because of being abroad compared to staying in Canada?

Do you think that even if I tell them about being abroad it might also trigger the residency questionnaire and Judge interview? or your example was in case I do NOT tell them.
What are the possible delays/time line here?

In other words, maybe it is not worth taking this job offer after all...

At them time, when I applied for PR, I was told that after the 3 years, there is no need to stay in Canada. I stayed 4 years and only plan to go for 1 year. I didn't know it will complicate the process like this.

Thanks again,

Samuel
If you want to keep your citizenship application as uncomplicated as possible, stay in Canada until it is completed.

You could have applied a year ago if you have been a PR for 4 years.
Old Oct 31st 2007, 12:17 pm

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point

It is a standard policy now to investigate residency of citizenship applicants with circumstances like yours. It is not about telling or not telling the truth. You must update your residential address.

Delays vary from couple months to over a year, depending from circumstances, backlog of investigated cases in particular CIC office, etc..