Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

submit spousal sponsorship with police checks to follow?

submit spousal sponsorship with police checks to follow?

Old Oct 17th 2007, 4:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Kittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud of
Default submit spousal sponsorship with police checks to follow?

ive got all of Cara's sponsorship paperwork ready to submit, however her police check wont be here for a few more weeks yet.

can i submit the application with a note saying police check to follow and then send it in as soon as it arrives?

has anyone done this?
thanks
scott
Old Oct 17th 2007, 11:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

live to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: submit spousal sponsorship with police checks to follow?

hhmmm....not sure for you, but we submitted SW BC PNP PR application to Buffalo before UK police checks were back.

UK police checks still not back but we have still received our medical requests.

BC PNP actually advised to submit application without police checks, add in covering letter, and send them off as soon as they arrive (remembering to keep a photocopy)
Old Oct 18th 2007, 10:37 am
BE Forum Addict

cov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Kittykerr
ive got all of Cara's sponsorship paperwork ready to submit, however her police check wont be here for a few more weeks yet.

can i submit the application with a note saying police check to follow and then send it in as soon as it arrives?

has anyone done this?
thanks
scott
I wouldn't recommend it. Worst case scenario - they return the WHOLE application as incomplete as soon as they open it. The other thing is if you think about how many applications they receive a day, they then sit unopened for a while (can be weeks/months) before they get entered into the system, then your police check sits there unopened for a while, then when they do get to it it doesn't have your case number on it to match it up (since you haven't been given it yet)...why complicate matters? Waiting the extra few weeks now might save over a month of processing time.
Old Oct 18th 2007, 6:54 pm
Forum Regular

egomasseur is a name known to allegomasseur is a name known to allegomasseur is a name known to allegomasseur is a name known to allegomasseur is a name known to allegomasseur is a name known to allegomasseur is a name known to allegomasseur is a name known to allegomasseur is a name known to allegomasseur is a name known to allegomasseur is a name known to all

Hi Kittykerr,

I received my police check today, around 5/6 weeks after applying for the check. I agree with Cov, It will be better if you send it together as you can at least be sure that everything you can do is done!

It soounds like you are doing the same sponsorship route as me so I will keep you posted on times if it helps!

Cheers!
Old Oct 19th 2007, 4:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Maple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to behold

has anyone done this?
thanks
scott
Did they ask for police clearance to be sent in with the application at the time of initial submission..?
Old Oct 19th 2007, 3:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Kittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Maple Leaf
Did they ask for police clearance to be sent in with the application at the time of initial submission..?
all spousal sponsorship ones you send everything all at the start.. medicals etc..

i appreciate all your views, however im sure some people who have actually done this type of appication has sent it with a note for police check to follow.. i just cant remember who it was.

has anyone who has actually done this route of application got any views? mr millar can you help?
Old Oct 19th 2007, 4:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Maple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to behold

all spousal sponsorship ones you send everything all at the start.. medicals etc..

i appreciate all your views, however im sure some people who have actually done this type of appication has sent it with a note for police check to follow.. i just cant remember who it was.

has anyone who has actually done this route of application got any views? mr millar can you help?
well not everyone here has done that. in fact there was a thread on here not that long ago where a poster had not sent hers in at the time of sending in her application, she has since. Also it has been said on here that you don't submit police clearance till requested. now if that is just for Canada i am not sure. however most people do front load everything for spouse visas and send the application complete.

i am not an expert so can't give you expert advice, and if all else fails..ring them and ask.
Old Oct 19th 2007, 4:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Maple Leaf
well not everyone here has done that. in fact there was a thread on here not that long ago where a poster had not sent hers in at the time of sending in her application, she has since. Also it has been said on here that you don't submit police clearance till requested. now if that is just for Canada i am not sure. however most people do front load everything for spouse visas and send the application complete.

i am not an expert so can't give you expert advice, and if all else fails..ring them and ask.
yeh thats my point, it says on the forms they should all be sent at the start. but as you said someone on here has recently sent them in after submission of the forms. i was wondering how they got on..

there is no such thing as being requested for spousal sponsorship, you front load everything. it quite clearly says that in the guide, both IN and OUT of canada. you should not wait for anything. hopefully if all goes well the first and only request will be for the passport to stick the visa in! but i believe you can have the police check to follow..

i'll try calling CIC, however i often find the person you ask doesnt know and just guesses and if you call back a different person will give a different answer.
Old Oct 19th 2007, 4:27 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

I sponsored my spouse without initially sending the police checks, it seemed to us that sending them at the beginning of the process was a bit pointless as new ones would certainly be needed by the end. As it worked out she never did provide a full set of police checks, we suppose this to be because she'd been in Canada quite a long time by the time the end of the process rolled around so they probably just got one from the RCMP.
Old Oct 19th 2007, 4:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dbd33
I sponsored my spouse without initially sending the police checks, it seemed to us that sending them at the beginning of the process was a bit pointless as new ones would certainly be needed by the end. As it worked out she never did provide a full set of police checks, we suppose this to be because she'd been in Canada quite a long time by the time the end of the process rolled around so they probably just got one from the RCMP.
hmm, dont think that really applies now, processing times for out of canada is only taking a couple of months. so it would still be valid. and as i said it clearly says it needs to be sent. from others i have seen takes 30 days for the approval, then 5 weeks or so for london to process the out of canada bit..
hence the need to front load everything..
Old Oct 19th 2007, 5:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

yeh thats my point, it says on the forms they should all be sent at the start. but as you said someone on here has recently sent them in after submission of the forms. i was wondering how they got on..

there is no such thing as being requested for spousal sponsorship, you front load everything. it quite clearly says that in the guide, both IN and OUT of canada. you should not wait for anything. hopefully if all goes well the first and only request will be for the passport to stick the visa in! but i believe you can have the police check to follow..

i'll try calling CIC, however i often find the person you ask doesnt know and just guesses and if you call back a different person will give a different answer.
yes unfortunately that is about right with those call in centers.....

and it was only a couple of weeks ago..it was stated on here by one of the online moderators here..that for canadian police clearance they do a name check..and if your name is the same as someone who is known to them..then they request a fingerprint submission which can be now done electronicaly...and as i said above i am not sure how that goes for Out of canada applicants....so it does appear indeed that there is a *request* made for them...during the spouse sponsor visa route.

i am apt to listen to them here more than on the phone..but if you can't get what you seek here and you want another opinion without consulting a immigration consultant than that may be your best option.

if it is just a few weeks...if it were me ..i would wait and send it all in together..which is what i did when i went through the process..i frontloaded everything..which meant waiting to have the full application ready.

good luck!
Old Oct 19th 2007, 7:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

AlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond repute

there is no such thing as being requested for spousal sponsorship, you front load everything. it quite clearly says that in the guide, both IN and OUT of canada. you should not wait for anything.
That's not the case. The guide for applying for spousal sponsorship from within Canada states:

"For the following countries, police certificates should not be obtained before applying for immigration. You may receive special instructions at a later date about police certificates for these countries." (and the United Kingdom is one of those listed.)

I got the info from here:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informa...es/5289E13.asp
Old Oct 19th 2007, 7:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

AlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond repute

has anyone done this?
thanks
scott
Hi Scott, As clearly stated in the guide for spousal sponsorship within Canada, I didn't submit mine with the application, and if/when they want one they will request it, apparently. However if you are applying through the "outside of Canada" route I don't know what the implications of not sending it could be...
Old Oct 20th 2007, 3:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by AlexInBC
That's not the case. The guide for applying for spousal sponsorship from within Canada states:

"For the following countries, police certificates should not be obtained before applying for immigration. You may receive special instructions at a later date about police certificates for these countries." (and the United Kingdom is one of those listed.)

I got the info from here:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informa...es/5289E13.asp
i stand corrected, must have read the out of canada one twice!
Old Oct 20th 2007, 5:21 am
BE Forum Addict

live to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond repute

Just to add that we received our police checks back today from Scotland Yard. We sent off for them from Canada on Sept 4th, so 6.5 weeks including international postage, Canada Post and the UK postal strikes.

Completely off topic, but that is flag pole for new WP, med requests, AOR and now UK police checks for us all in one week - medicals are on Monday morning - I'm a rather happy Live2Ski this evening.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.