Stupid TWP -> PR question

Old Aug 12th 2012, 10:22 pm
Just Joined

Buttons is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Stupid TWP -> PR question

If your job offer provides only a 1 year TWP as it's only a 1 year contract, can you apply for PR straight away on arrival in the country knowing you may not be in the country any more by the time it's processed?

Will they even look at the application?

Once you're in on a 1 year TWP and start looking for the next job, does it need to be an LMO job again or anything? I assume LMO but worth asking.
Old Aug 12th 2012, 10:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

heading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to all
Default Re: Stupid TWP -> PR question

Originally Posted by Buttons
If your job offer provides only a 1 year TWP as it's only a 1 year contract, can you apply for PR straight away on arrival in the country knowing you may not be in the country any more by the time it's processed?

Once you're in on a 1 year TWP and start looking for the next job, does it need to be an LMO job again or anything? I assume LMO but worth asking.
yes but apply as PNP not FSW ;-)
Old Aug 13th 2012, 12:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Geordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Yes you can apply for PR straight away (well I know you can in Alberta).

If you go the PNP route (ie AINP route in Alberta) then the time to get acceptance (if you get it) is approx one month at the minute.

The beauty of AINP means that if your TWP runs out before you get PR you can still work - you just renew your TWP online and don't have to get another LMO.

Hope this helps!
Old Aug 13th 2012, 4:46 am
Just Joined

Thanks it does. This would be Toronto if that makes any difference, I'll do some reading up today.
Old Aug 13th 2012, 7:14 am
Just Joined

It looks like it needs to be a permanent job offer for PNP although I found some posts suggesting a correctly worded "renewable" 1 year contract might be sufficient. Bit woolly though.
Old Aug 13th 2012, 1:05 pm
BTJ
Occasionally Useful

BTJ is on a distinguished road

Yes you can (Edit: no you can't! Just realised you are looking to change employer - apologies. I'll keep the rest of my post for reference)

However, the Regulations state (Section 82(2) - definition of arranged employment):

(a) the skilled worker is in Canada and holds a work permit and

(i) there has been a determination by an officer under section 203 that the performance of the employment by the skilled worker would be likely to result in a neutral or positive effect on the labour market in Canada, [This refers to the LMO - BTJ]

(ii) the skilled worker is currently working in that employment,

(iii) the work permit is valid at the time an application is made by the skilled worker for a permanent resident visa as well as at the time the permanent resident visa, if any, is issued to the skilled worker, and

(iv) the employer has made an offer to employ the skilled worker on an indeterminate basis once the permanent resident visa is issued to the skilled worker;
So, you need to make sure you have a work permit now and when the PR visa is issued. That is not to say it has to be the same work permit - although it should obviously be for the same employment.

Going the PNP route does alleviate the worry of not being able to get another LMO to renew the work permit.

Last edited by BTJ; Aug 13th 2012 at 1:08 pm.
Old Aug 13th 2012, 6:06 pm
Just Joined

So it sounds like its worth a try but no guarantee they'll rate it as sufficient work wise.

Can you apply PNP and FSW2 at the same time?
Old Aug 13th 2012, 7:28 pm
BTJ
Occasionally Useful

BTJ is on a distinguished road

Can you apply PNP and FSW2 at the same time?
Yes! But you'll have to pay federal processing fees both times. You said you were going to Toronto though, unfortunately the Ontario PNP has its own extremely expensive provincial processing fees and is the least useful of all the provinces' PNPs.
Old Aug 13th 2012, 7:34 pm
Just Joined

Wow, that's some processing fee! In the scale of things given its the next few years of hour lives at stake its not insurmountable which I suppose is what they rely on.