Stumbled at the last hurdle!

Old Sep 11th 2008, 1:56 am
BE Enthusiast

thundercat600 is just really nicethundercat600 is just really nicethundercat600 is just really nicethundercat600 is just really nicethundercat600 is just really nicethundercat600 is just really nicethundercat600 is just really nicethundercat600 is just really nicethundercat600 is just really nicethundercat600 is just really nicethundercat600 is just really nice
Default Stumbled at the last hurdle!

OH landed in Halifax at the end of June and we used my god-parent's address in Toronto for the PR card to be sent and have been waiting the past week to receive it after being told that the "letter form the government" had arrived!
Well, there was the huge special delivery envelope on the mat at lunchtime ($45+ postage on it!!), so I rushed to open it and then the small brown envelope contained within and looked for the card inside................ only to find a letter that said the photographs supplied for the PR card did not meet the required specifications

I can only assume the crown-to-chin measurement must have been slightly out as the total photo size (45mmx35mm) was fine, and the same photo was used for PR visa, medicals etc etc

So the options are:
1. Attend a photo retake appointment in downtown Toronto at 2.15 on the 10th September (original letter was sent on 2nd Sept, so didn't allow a lot of time anyway!)
or
2. Take new photos to same downtown Toronto address within the next 180 days

Well, we're still in the UK and not sure when we'll next be out to Canada (house-sale dependant!).
I was wondering if the reason they give a Toronto office is because they sent the PR card letter to a Toronto address, despite having landed in Halifax. Is there somewhere in NS that we can visit with new photos if we get out there within the next 6 months?

If we don't get there within 180 days I'm assuming we just reapply when we do go and, I think, then have to pay for the card?

Having read some old threads, unless things have changed, OH should be able to enter Canada without PR card since he has British passport, and takes his COPR and explains PR card situation.

Any info regarding where we can apply in NS would be most welcome.
thanks, TC
Old Sep 11th 2008, 5:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Tim Steer is a glorious beacon of lightTim Steer is a glorious beacon of lightTim Steer is a glorious beacon of lightTim Steer is a glorious beacon of lightTim Steer is a glorious beacon of lightTim Steer is a glorious beacon of lightTim Steer is a glorious beacon of lightTim Steer is a glorious beacon of lightTim Steer is a glorious beacon of lightTim Steer is a glorious beacon of lightTim Steer is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Stumbled at the last hurdle!

Hi there,
Just something I thought I would mention re your photos not meeting spec..it may not be the measurement but it could be the background...We applied through consultants in Canada and the biggest hassle we had was regarding getting a "white" background apparwntly white isn't always white and it took us about 4 attempts for the lawyers to be happy...I suppose we should have not tried doing them ourselves and gone to a photographer but...
It is a shame they don't actually state the reason for them not meeting spec.....
Good luck though
Tim
Old Sep 11th 2008, 9:04 am
Forum Regular

thedignans has much to be proud ofthedignans has much to be proud ofthedignans has much to be proud ofthedignans has much to be proud ofthedignans has much to be proud ofthedignans has much to be proud ofthedignans has much to be proud ofthedignans has much to be proud ofthedignans has much to be proud ofthedignans has much to be proud ofthedignans has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by thundercat600
OH landed in Halifax at the end of June and we used my god-parent's address in Toronto for the PR card to be sent and have been waiting the past week to receive it after being told that the "letter form the government" had arrived!
Well, there was the huge special delivery envelope on the mat at lunchtime ($45+ postage on it!!), so I rushed to open it and then the small brown envelope contained within and looked for the card inside................ only to find a letter that said the photographs supplied for the PR card did not meet the required specifications

I can only assume the crown-to-chin measurement must have been slightly out as the total photo size (45mmx35mm) was fine, and the same photo was used for PR visa, medicals etc etc

So the options are:
1. Attend a photo retake appointment in downtown Toronto at 2.15 on the 10th September (original letter was sent on 2nd Sept, so didn't allow a lot of time anyway!)
or

Well, we're still in the UK and not sure when we'll next be out to Canada (house-sale dependant!).
I was wondering if the reason they give a Toronto office is because they sent the PR card letter to a Toronto address, despite having landed in Halifax. Is there somewhere in NS that we can visit with new photos if we get out there within the next 6 months?

If we don't get there within 180 days I'm assuming we just reapply when we do go and, I think, then have to pay for the card?

Having read some old threads, unless things have changed, OH should be able to enter Canada without PR card since he has British passport, and takes his COPR and explains PR card situation.

thanks, TC
Hi there,

We sent in several photos each of them were rejected, my kids were both fine but my husband and I both had ours returned. As it turned out we were in the country around 6 months before we eventually got ours.
Just get new ones done and send them back to them, see what they say this time.
Good luck
Julie
Old Sep 11th 2008, 12:12 pm
Just Joined

DSILK is an unknown quantity at this point

So the options are:
or

thanks, TC
You should be ok getting into the country with just the paperwork and the visa in your passport, this is what I had to do when I found out they had got the postcode wrong and I had to wait for the PR card to arrive, they would not send the ones for my family until they had entered the country ( I came out before them) only mine.
Go to a photographer who has taken photos for these purposes before , the regulations change for different countries.
Remember PR cards are really only needed for travel outside of Canada, so you can get back in !

Last edited by DSILK; Sep 11th 2008 at 12:13 pm. Reason: change in text
Old Sep 13th 2008, 10:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

thundercat600 is just really nicethundercat600 is just really nicethundercat600 is just really nicethundercat600 is just really nicethundercat600 is just really nicethundercat600 is just really nicethundercat600 is just really nicethundercat600 is just really nicethundercat600 is just really nicethundercat600 is just really nicethundercat600 is just really nice

Originally Posted by thedignans
Hi there,

We sent in several photos each of them were rejected, my kids were both fine but my husband and I both had ours returned. As it turned out we were in the country around 6 months before we eventually got ours.
Just get new ones done and send them back to them, see what they say this time.
Good luck
Julie
thanks everyone.
julie - where did you send your photos to? The letter we got seem to imply that we can only apply in person now not by post, and to go to Toronto which we're pretty much unlikely to be doing.
it's just annoying when the same photos have been accepted for everything else, but i suppose when 'computer says no' that's it! lol
Old Sep 14th 2008, 1:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

it's just annoying when the same photos have been accepted for everything else, but i suppose when 'computer says no' that's it! lol
Were they stapled? OH's were stapled to his COPR and had a biro smear on the edge of them. This was a no-no, noticed by the officer on landing and he got new digital photo taken on their camera instead. I'm glad his photos were noticed to be unsuitable as there seems to be no end of people needing their photos redone. If I were landing, I'd be tempted to make mine unusable to be sure of getting a satisfactory one redone by the officers at the airport

Hope they give you a speedy turnaround with the new one Thundercat.
Old Sep 14th 2008, 5:32 am
BE Enthusiast

can't remember to be honest biiiiink, can't even remember handing any photos over but sure we must have done and OH only had the one set done for meds etc. IO obviously didn't think there was a problem as she didn't offer to take any new photos.

at least it's not a major stumbling block!
Old Sep 14th 2008, 6:18 am
Forum Regular

thedignans has much to be proud ofthedignans has much to be proud ofthedignans has much to be proud ofthedignans has much to be proud ofthedignans has much to be proud ofthedignans has much to be proud ofthedignans has much to be proud ofthedignans has much to be proud ofthedignans has much to be proud ofthedignans has much to be proud ofthedignans has much to be proud of

thanks everyone.
julie - where did you send your photos to? The letter we got seem to imply that we can only apply in person now not by post, and to go to Toronto which we're pretty much unlikely to be doing.
Hi there,

We live in Nova Scotia, so our photos were to be sent to Halifax. Our second letter implied that we had to go into the office too, but I telephoned the number on the letter and explained that i had 2 young children and could not make the trip. The lady then told us just to post them then.
Hope this helps
Julie
Old Sep 14th 2008, 6:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by thedignans
Hi there,

We live in Nova Scotia, so our photos were to be sent to Halifax. Our second letter implied that we had to go into the office too, but I telephoned the number on the letter and explained that i had 2 young children and could not make the trip. The lady then told us just to post them then.
Hope this helps
Julie
thanks julie
gives us some options at least. might make a phone call and see what they say. the last thing i want to do is post more photos, get the letter sent via my godparents and them to spend another $45 in postage just to find out that the new photos were not good enough either!
may just take the hit and pay for new cards when we finally arrive in NS, might end up being the simpler and less stressful route!