Stumbled at the last hurdle!

Old Sep 11th 2008, 1:56 am
  #1  
BE Enthusiast
Thread Starter
 
thundercat600's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Northants
Posts: 490
thundercat600 is just really nicethundercat600 is just really nicethundercat600 is just really nicethundercat600 is just really nicethundercat600 is just really nicethundercat600 is just really nicethundercat600 is just really nicethundercat600 is just really nicethundercat600 is just really nicethundercat600 is just really nicethundercat600 is just really nice
Default Stumbled at the last hurdle!

OH landed in Halifax at the end of June and we used my god-parent's address in Toronto for the PR card to be sent and have been waiting the past week to receive it after being told that the "letter form the government" had arrived!
Well, there was the huge special delivery envelope on the mat at lunchtime ($45+ postage on it!!), so I rushed to open it and then the small brown envelope contained within and looked for the card inside................ only to find a letter that said the photographs supplied for the PR card did not meet the required specifications

I can only assume the crown-to-chin measurement must have been slightly out as the total photo size (45mmx35mm) was fine, and the same photo was used for PR visa, medicals etc etc

So the options are:
1. Attend a photo retake appointment in downtown Toronto at 2.15 on the 10th September (original letter was sent on 2nd Sept, so didn't allow a lot of time anyway!)
or
2. Take new photos to same downtown Toronto address within the next 180 days

Well, we're still in the UK and not sure when we'll next be out to Canada (house-sale dependant!).
I was wondering if the reason they give a Toronto office is because they sent the PR card letter to a Toronto address, despite having landed in Halifax. Is there somewhere in NS that we can visit with new photos if we get out there within the next 6 months?

If we don't get there within 180 days I'm assuming we just reapply when we do go and, I think, then have to pay for the card?

Having read some old threads, unless things have changed, OH should be able to enter Canada without PR card since he has British passport, and takes his COPR and explains PR card situation.

Any info regarding where we can apply in NS would be most welcome.
thanks, TC
thundercat600 is offline  
Old Sep 11th 2008, 5:08 am
  #2  
BE Enthusiast
 
Tim Steer's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Baysville, On, Canada
Posts: 518
Tim Steer is a glorious beacon of lightTim Steer is a glorious beacon of lightTim Steer is a glorious beacon of lightTim Steer is a glorious beacon of lightTim Steer is a glorious beacon of lightTim Steer is a glorious beacon of lightTim Steer is a glorious beacon of lightTim Steer is a glorious beacon of lightTim Steer is a glorious beacon of lightTim Steer is a glorious beacon of lightTim Steer is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Stumbled at the last hurdle!

Hi there,
Just something I thought I would mention re your photos not meeting spec..it may not be the measurement but it could be the background...We applied through consultants in Canada and the biggest hassle we had was regarding getting a "white" background apparwntly white isn't always white and it took us about 4 attempts for the lawyers to be happy...I suppose we should have not tried doing them ourselves and gone to a photographer but...
It is a shame they don't actually state the reason for them not meeting spec.....
Good luck though
Tim
Tim Steer is offline  
Old Sep 11th 2008, 9:04 am
  #3  
Forum Regular
 
thedignans's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: New Glasgow, Nova Scotia
Posts: 221
thedignans has much to be proud ofthedignans has much to be proud ofthedignans has much to be proud ofthedignans has much to be proud ofthedignans has much to be proud ofthedignans has much to be proud ofthedignans has much to be proud ofthedignans has much to be proud ofthedignans has much to be proud ofthedignans has much to be proud ofthedignans has much to be proud of
Default Re: Stumbled at the last hurdle!

Originally Posted by thundercat600
OH landed in Halifax at the end of June and we used my god-parent's address in Toronto for the PR card to be sent and have been waiting the past week to receive it after being told that the "letter form the government" had arrived!
Well, there was the huge special delivery envelope on the mat at lunchtime ($45+ postage on it!!), so I rushed to open it and then the small brown envelope contained within and looked for the card inside................ only to find a letter that said the photographs supplied for the PR card did not meet the required specifications

I can only assume the crown-to-chin measurement must have been slightly out as the total photo size (45mmx35mm) was fine, and the same photo was used for PR visa, medicals etc etc

So the options are:
1. Attend a photo retake appointment in downtown Toronto at 2.15 on the 10th September (original letter was sent on 2nd Sept, so didn't allow a lot of time anyway!)
or
2. Take new photos to same downtown Toronto address within the next 180 days

Well, we're still in the UK and not sure when we'll next be out to Canada (house-sale dependant!).
I was wondering if the reason they give a Toronto office is because they sent the PR card letter to a Toronto address, despite having landed in Halifax. Is there somewhere in NS that we can visit with new photos if we get out there within the next 6 months?

If we don't get there within 180 days I'm assuming we just reapply when we do go and, I think, then have to pay for the card?

Having read some old threads, unless things have changed, OH should be able to enter Canada without PR card since he has British passport, and takes his COPR and explains PR card situation.

Any info regarding where we can apply in NS would be most welcome.
thanks, TC
Hi there,

We sent in several photos each of them were rejected, my kids were both fine but my husband and I both had ours returned. As it turned out we were in the country around 6 months before we eventually got ours.
Just get new ones done and send them back to them, see what they say this time.
Good luck
Julie
thedignans is offline  
Old Sep 11th 2008, 12:12 pm
  #4  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 11
DSILK is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Stumbled at the last hurdle!

Originally Posted by thundercat600
OH landed in Halifax at the end of June and we used my god-parent's address in Toronto for the PR card to be sent and have been waiting the past week to receive it after being told that the "letter form the government" had arrived!
Well, there was the huge special delivery envelope on the mat at lunchtime ($45+ postage on it!!), so I rushed to open it and then the small brown envelope contained within and looked for the card inside................ only to find a letter that said the photographs supplied for the PR card did not meet the required specifications

I can only assume the crown-to-chin measurement must have been slightly out as the total photo size (45mmx35mm) was fine, and the same photo was used for PR visa, medicals etc etc

So the options are:
1. Attend a photo retake appointment in downtown Toronto at 2.15 on the 10th September (original letter was sent on 2nd Sept, so didn't allow a lot of time anyway!)
or
2. Take new photos to same downtown Toronto address within the next 180 days

Well, we're still in the UK and not sure when we'll next be out to Canada (house-sale dependant!).
I was wondering if the reason they give a Toronto office is because they sent the PR card letter to a Toronto address, despite having landed in Halifax. Is there somewhere in NS that we can visit with new photos if we get out there within the next 6 months?

If we don't get there within 180 days I'm assuming we just reapply when we do go and, I think, then have to pay for the card?

Having read some old threads, unless things have changed, OH should be able to enter Canada without PR card since he has British passport, and takes his COPR and explains PR card situation.

Any info regarding where we can apply in NS would be most welcome.
thanks, TC
You should be ok getting into the country with just the paperwork and the visa in your passport, this is what I had to do when I found out they had got the postcode wrong and I had to wait for the PR card to arrive, they would not send the ones for my family until they had entered the country ( I came out before them) only mine.
Go to a photographer who has taken photos for these purposes before , the regulations change for different countries.
Remember PR cards are really only needed for travel outside of Canada, so you can get back in !

Last edited by DSILK; Sep 11th 2008 at 12:13 pm. Reason: change in text
DSILK is offline  
Old Sep 13th 2008, 10:41 pm
  #5  
BE Enthusiast
Thread Starter
 
thundercat600's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Northants
Posts: 490
thundercat600 is just really nicethundercat600 is just really nicethundercat600 is just really nicethundercat600 is just really nicethundercat600 is just really nicethundercat600 is just really nicethundercat600 is just really nicethundercat600 is just really nicethundercat600 is just really nicethundercat600 is just really nicethundercat600 is just really nice
Default Re: Stumbled at the last hurdle!

Originally Posted by thedignans
Hi there,

We sent in several photos each of them were rejected, my kids were both fine but my husband and I both had ours returned. As it turned out we were in the country around 6 months before we eventually got ours.
Just get new ones done and send them back to them, see what they say this time.
Good luck
Julie
thanks everyone.
julie - where did you send your photos to? The letter we got seem to imply that we can only apply in person now not by post, and to go to Toronto which we're pretty much unlikely to be doing.
it's just annoying when the same photos have been accepted for everything else, but i suppose when 'computer says no' that's it! lol
thundercat600 is offline  
Old Sep 14th 2008, 1:25 am
  #6  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Biiiiink's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2004
Location: Windsor, ON; Chicago, IL
Posts: 6,713
Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Stumbled at the last hurdle!

Originally Posted by thundercat600
it's just annoying when the same photos have been accepted for everything else, but i suppose when 'computer says no' that's it! lol
Were they stapled? OH's were stapled to his COPR and had a biro smear on the edge of them. This was a no-no, noticed by the officer on landing and he got new digital photo taken on their camera instead. I'm glad his photos were noticed to be unsuitable as there seems to be no end of people needing their photos redone. If I were landing, I'd be tempted to make mine unusable to be sure of getting a satisfactory one redone by the officers at the airport

Hope they give you a speedy turnaround with the new one Thundercat.
Biiiiink is offline  
Old Sep 14th 2008, 5:32 am
  #7  
BE Enthusiast
Thread Starter
 
thundercat600's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Northants
Posts: 490
thundercat600 is just really nicethundercat600 is just really nicethundercat600 is just really nicethundercat600 is just really nicethundercat600 is just really nicethundercat600 is just really nicethundercat600 is just really nicethundercat600 is just really nicethundercat600 is just really nicethundercat600 is just really nicethundercat600 is just really nice
Default Re: Stumbled at the last hurdle!

can't remember to be honest biiiiink, can't even remember handing any photos over but sure we must have done and OH only had the one set done for meds etc. IO obviously didn't think there was a problem as she didn't offer to take any new photos.

at least it's not a major stumbling block!
thundercat600 is offline  
Old Sep 14th 2008, 6:18 am
  #8  
Forum Regular
 
thedignans's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: New Glasgow, Nova Scotia
Posts: 221
thedignans has much to be proud ofthedignans has much to be proud ofthedignans has much to be proud ofthedignans has much to be proud ofthedignans has much to be proud ofthedignans has much to be proud ofthedignans has much to be proud ofthedignans has much to be proud ofthedignans has much to be proud ofthedignans has much to be proud ofthedignans has much to be proud of
Default Re: Stumbled at the last hurdle!

Originally Posted by thundercat600
thanks everyone.
julie - where did you send your photos to? The letter we got seem to imply that we can only apply in person now not by post, and to go to Toronto which we're pretty much unlikely to be doing.
it's just annoying when the same photos have been accepted for everything else, but i suppose when 'computer says no' that's it! lol
Hi there,

We live in Nova Scotia, so our photos were to be sent to Halifax. Our second letter implied that we had to go into the office too, but I telephoned the number on the letter and explained that i had 2 young children and could not make the trip. The lady then told us just to post them then.
Hope this helps
Julie
thedignans is offline  
Old Sep 14th 2008, 6:55 am
  #9  
BE Enthusiast
Thread Starter
 
thundercat600's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Northants
Posts: 490
thundercat600 is just really nicethundercat600 is just really nicethundercat600 is just really nicethundercat600 is just really nicethundercat600 is just really nicethundercat600 is just really nicethundercat600 is just really nicethundercat600 is just really nicethundercat600 is just really nicethundercat600 is just really nicethundercat600 is just really nice
Default Re: Stumbled at the last hurdle!

Originally Posted by thedignans
Hi there,

We live in Nova Scotia, so our photos were to be sent to Halifax. Our second letter implied that we had to go into the office too, but I telephoned the number on the letter and explained that i had 2 young children and could not make the trip. The lady then told us just to post them then.
Hope this helps
Julie
thanks julie
gives us some options at least. might make a phone call and see what they say. the last thing i want to do is post more photos, get the letter sent via my godparents and them to spend another $45 in postage just to find out that the new photos were not good enough either!
may just take the hit and pay for new cards when we finally arrive in NS, might end up being the simpler and less stressful route!
thundercat600 is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.