studying to PR

Old Jan 18th 2011, 7:39 pm
Glory glory Man Utd.....

leggy969 has much to be proud ofleggy969 has much to be proud ofleggy969 has much to be proud ofleggy969 has much to be proud ofleggy969 has much to be proud ofleggy969 has much to be proud ofleggy969 has much to be proud ofleggy969 has much to be proud ofleggy969 has much to be proud ofleggy969 has much to be proud ofleggy969 has much to be proud of
Default Re: studying to PR

Originally Posted by Kaye5
OK, had a further look at this. College says apply with study permit; study permit application says have to be accepted on course first BEFORE applying for study permit. Hm.

Then... for international applicants the college wants transcripts of school certificates!How would you get a transcript for GCEs taken in 1977?

And... all certificates have to be assessed by Canadian standards before applying to college.

And... if you miss the deadline for this year (which is highly likely, given all the hoops to jump through), you have to (of course) wait another year.

Strong chance PR would be through before I managed to wade through this minefield.

Anyone actually done this?
I actually started the process for this last April/May....until we worked out how much the course fees were going to be.

As far as I understand, you MUST have a letter of acceptance from the college or university first, which must then accompany your study visa application.
If the college you're intending to attend takes in International students regularly then they should be aware of this. You can't apply for a study visa without the letter of acceptance.

Onto the subject of UK school certificates. All I did when I applied for a course at TRU in Kamloops, was send them my GCE certificates(taken in 1985/86) with my course application. They accepted these but still said that I would have to take a Math test to ensure I was up to the minimum standard required for the course.

I guess different colleges/Uni's have their own specific entry requirements and just want to ensure you or any potential student of theirs can meet the education level required for the chosen course.

Hope this helps.......
Old Jan 19th 2011, 6:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Hubley, Nova Scotia (from Scotland via Yorkshire and London)
Kaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by leggy969
I actually started the process for this last April/May....until we worked out how much the course fees were going to be.

As far as I understand, you MUST have a letter of acceptance from the college or university first, which must then accompany your study visa application.
If the college you're intending to attend takes in International students regularly then they should be aware of this. You can't apply for a study visa without the letter of acceptance.

Onto the subject of UK school certificates. All I did when I applied for a course at TRU in Kamloops, was send them my GCE certificates(taken in 1985/86) with my course application. They accepted these but still said that I would have to take a Math test to ensure I was up to the minimum standard required for the course.

I guess different colleges/Uni's have their own specific entry requirements and just want to ensure you or any potential student of theirs can meet the education level required for the chosen course.

Hope this helps.......
Thanks for this - think I'll send an email to the college and see what they say.

Hopefully we won't need to go down this route, but it also crossed my mind that it was something I would likely do if we get PR anyway, so would just be getting a year ahead if I could get in this September.
Old Mar 23rd 2011, 1:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Kaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of light

I'm still looking at this as an option...!

IF I did a one year course at NS community college on a study permit and then got a one year post graduation work permit how would this affect my OH working?

I understand he would get an open work permit for the duration of the college course. Could he extend this for the duration of my post graduate work permit?

Can't find any info on this on CIC's website.

Thanks
Old Mar 23rd 2011, 5:30 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by Kaye5
I'm still looking at this as an option...!

IF I did a one year course at NS community college on a study permit and then got a one year post graduation work permit how would this affect my OH working?

I understand he would get an open work permit for the duration of the college course. Could he extend this for the duration of my post graduate work permit?

Can't find any info on this on CIC's website.

Thanks

Real gray area, there is actually no information on the spouse of PGWP holder working with an OWP. If you read the Regulations, and if CIC takes a strict interpretation of the Regulations

Application after entry
199. A foreign national may apply for a work permit after entering Canada if they
(a) hold a work permit;
(b) are working in Canada under the authority of section 186 and are not a business visitor within the meaning of section 187;
(c) hold a study permit;
(d) hold a temporary resident permit issued under subsection 24(1) of the Act that is valid for at least six months;
(e) are a family member of a person described in any of paragraphs (a) to (d);
(f) are in a situation described in section 206 or 207;

Where "gray area" arises is that the spouse of work permit holder can apply for an OWP if the holder is employed in an occupation at Level O, A or B. A PGWP holder doesn't have the restriction as to the level of work it can be in any NOC, so is the spouse still eligible for an OWP? Anyone's guess.
Old Mar 24th 2011, 1:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

Real gray area, there is actually no information on the spouse of PGWP holder working with an OWP. If you read the Regulations, and if CIC takes a strict interpretation of the Regulations

Application after entry
199. A foreign national may apply for a work permit after entering Canada if they
(a) hold a work permit;
(b) are working in Canada under the authority of section 186 and are not a business visitor within the meaning of section 187;
(c) hold a study permit;
(d) hold a temporary resident permit issued under subsection 24(1) of the Act that is valid for at least six months;
(e) are a family member of a person described in any of paragraphs (a) to (d);
(f) are in a situation described in section 206 or 207;

Where "gray area" arises is that the spouse of work permit holder can apply for an OWP if the holder is employed in an occupation at Level O, A or B. A PGWP holder doesn't have the restriction as to the level of work it can be in any NOC, so is the spouse still eligible for an OWP? Anyone's guess.
I suppose if you take it logically then as I would have a work permit, he could apply as the spouse of me in category a). It doesn't specify what type of work permit.

Not sure what the logic is behind a foreign national being able to apply for a work permit if that foreign national a) holds a work permit...