studying to PR

Old Nov 9th 2010, 9:31 pm
Forum Regular

McLeans is just really niceMcLeans is just really niceMcLeans is just really niceMcLeans is just really niceMcLeans is just really niceMcLeans is just really niceMcLeans is just really niceMcLeans is just really nice
Default studying to PR

Hi everyone,

looking for some advice please? hubbys quals for his job are not good enough to get us to canada so we are looking at one of us retraining and doing it in canada on a student visa, is it correct that this can help lead to PR?
could anyone explain the process to us please?
many thanks
Mcleans
Old Nov 9th 2010, 9:40 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: studying to PR

Originally Posted by McLeans
Hi everyone,

looking for some advice please? hubbys quals for his job are not good enough to get us to canada so we are looking at one of us retraining and doing it in canada on a student visa, is it correct that this can help lead to PR?
could anyone explain the process to us please?
many thanks
Mcleans
There are two ways to get PR from a study permit - firstly, that you (who would have an open work permit) get a permanent job offer and use that to apply for PR either via a Provincial Nominee Program or as a Skilled Worker if you qualify.

Secondly, if your husband does two years worth of study in Canada and then a year of skilled work experience on the post-graduate work permit he'd be granted, he can apply for PR via the Canadian Experience Class. That's obviously a longer route than you trying to find a permanent job offer asap, and you'd therefore not get PR for about 4 years using that route. Plus, do bear in mind that the CEC may not exist in 3 years time, as CIC do change their immigration programs regularly.

The first option would probably mean you'd get PR much more quickly, but it will depend on what you do for a living and if you have the skills to qualify for PR and/or get somebody to give you a permanent job offer.

Either of those routes are going to mean you're there temporarily for at least a year, and are going to be risky so it depends on how brave you're feeling really and if you'd be prepared to come back if necessary. Do you have children or is it just the two of you?
Old Nov 10th 2010, 1:01 am
Forum Regular

McLeans is just really niceMcLeans is just really niceMcLeans is just really niceMcLeans is just really niceMcLeans is just really niceMcLeans is just really niceMcLeans is just really niceMcLeans is just really nice

Thankyou for your help, we have our 4 year old daughter aswell, hubby is a youth officer working with anti social behaviour and homelessness etc, but no quals to speak of, so the idea was for him to either study to get quals or to see if he could get a job offer/
thanks again
Old Jan 15th 2011, 3:19 am
Forum Regular

The Lost Paddy has a spectacular aura aboutThe Lost Paddy has a spectacular aura aboutThe Lost Paddy has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
There are two ways to get PR from a study permit - firstly, that you (who would have an open work permit) get a permanent job offer and use that to apply for PR either via a Provincial Nominee Program or as a Skilled Worker if you qualify.

Secondly, if your husband does two years worth of study in Canada and then a year of skilled work experience on the post-graduate work permit he'd be granted, he can apply for PR via the Canadian Experience Class. That's obviously a longer route than you trying to find a permanent job offer asap, and you'd therefore not get PR for about 4 years using that route. Plus, do bear in mind that the CEC may not exist in 3 years time, as CIC do change their immigration programs regularly.

The first option would probably mean you'd get PR much more quickly, but it will depend on what you do for a living and if you have the skills to qualify for PR and/or get somebody to give you a permanent job offer.

Either of those routes are going to mean you're there temporarily for at least a year, and are going to be risky so it depends on how brave you're feeling really and if you'd be prepared to come back if necessary. Do you have children or is it just the two of you?
Mr Masoompa!

Can I ask a question please? The bit highlighted above...can you expand?

If someone is on a study visa, their partner can work straigh away correct? So is the year that you are temp, that you mention above, is this the time that the partner that is working is applying and waiting for PR to come through?

Cheers!

TLP.
Old Jan 15th 2011, 3:50 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Lost Paddy
Mr Masoompa!
Ahem, it's Mrs actually.

If someone is on a study visa, their partner can work straigh away correct? So is the year that you are temp, that you mention above, is this the time that the partner that is working is applying and waiting for PR to come through?
Yep, that's exactly what I meant. Just meant that it'll take a minimum of a year before PR can be achieved, a study permit or work permit is only temporary status.

HTH, good luck with your plan - just read on your other thread, fingers crossed it all goes smoothly for you.

Old Jan 15th 2011, 4:11 am
Forum Regular

The Lost Paddy has a spectacular aura aboutThe Lost Paddy has a spectacular aura aboutThe Lost Paddy has a spectacular aura about

Ahem, it's Mrs actually.

Yep, that's exactly what I meant. Just meant that it'll take a minimum of a year before PR can be achieved, a study permit or work permit is only temporary status.

HTH, good luck with your plan - just read on your other thread, fingers crossed it all goes smoothly for you.

Aplologies! I forgot Jebus was a lady!

Many thanks for your well wishes, Ive been trying to get through the site over the last couple of years but get a bit pee'd off and stop as it's a difficult slog to try and find out the exact route that will suit us!

Can I ask, is PR fairly certain after the 1st year? I've BA qualifications, 6/7 years experience and it looks like my skills are on the NOC list, Sales, Marketing and Advertising Managers (NOC 061)

* Sales, Marketing and Advertising Managers (NOC 0611)

What's your opinion? Many thanks!
Old Jan 15th 2011, 4:16 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Can I ask, is PR fairly certain after the 1st year? I've BA qualifications, 6/7 years experience and it looks like my skills are on the NOC list, Sales, Marketing and Advertising Managers (NOC 061)

* Sales, Marketing and Advertising Managers (NOC 0611)

What's your opinion? Many thanks!
If you can find an employer prepared to give you a permanent job offer, meet the points requirement for FSW or the eligibility for your province's PNP prog, pass the medical, have no criminal record, etc, etc, then you have as much chance of getting PR as anybody else!

Can't say for certain unfortunately, it's not guaranteed. Plus remember that getting PR after a year would be incredibly quick, it may well take you longer than that. You've got to find a suitable job first and then you'll have to convince your employer they want to sponsor you via PNP or write the letter confirming your permanent job for FSW, so this may take a few months before you can apply for PR. Then PR itself will take anywhere between 8-16 months going on recent timescales.

Good luck.
Old Jan 15th 2011, 4:26 am
Forum Regular

If you can find an employer prepared to give you a permanent job offer, meet the points requirement for FSW or the eligibility for your province's PNP prog, pass the medical, have no criminal record, etc, etc, then you have as much chance of getting PR as anybody else!

Can't say for certain unfortunately, it's not guaranteed. Plus remember that getting PR after a year would be incredibly quick, it may well take you longer than that. You've got to find a suitable job first and then you'll have to convince your employer they want to sponsor you via PNP or write the letter confirming your permanent job for FSW, so this may take a few months before you can apply for PR. Then PR itself will take anywhere between 8-16 months going on recent timescales.

Good luck.
Appreciate that! Many thanks!!
Old Jan 15th 2011, 7:13 am
BE Enthusiast

manitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of light

@Mcleans:

have you made up your mind where you want to settle? thinking of the PNP's.

..and..how many years of experience does your OH has? No educational qualifications at all or just not enough in your eyes to apply as federal SFW?

study route isn't cheap as far as I know..gotta be sure to find a job for you then, which would mean, daycare for the lil one..which isn't for free either (although again, depends where you go, in MB you might be subsidized with hubby studying..would take some research to find out)...so make sure the financial part works.

cheers

Ilse
Old Jan 15th 2011, 8:18 am
Glory glory Man Utd.....

leggy969 has much to be proud ofleggy969 has much to be proud ofleggy969 has much to be proud ofleggy969 has much to be proud ofleggy969 has much to be proud ofleggy969 has much to be proud ofleggy969 has much to be proud ofleggy969 has much to be proud ofleggy969 has much to be proud ofleggy969 has much to be proud ofleggy969 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by manitobain
@Mcleans:

have you made up your mind where you want to settle? thinking of the PNP's.

..and..how many years of experience does your OH has? No educational qualifications at all or just not enough in your eyes to apply as federal SFW?

study route isn't cheap as far as I know..gotta be sure to find a job for you then, which would mean, daycare for the lil one..which isn't for free either (although again, depends where you go, in MB you might be subsidized with hubby studying..would take some research to find out)...so make sure the financial part works.

cheers

Ilse

You're absolutely correct when you say the study route isn't cheap!! I came over last May to stay with my OH, and was planning on going to TRU in Kamloops on a 2 year diploma course in IT (computer systems; Operation & management). (My OH has been PR since 2007 and works for Interior Health as a psychiatric nurse)

When we both went through the figures we worked out it was going to cost approx $7,000 CAD per semester just in course fees alone as an International student! (the course was 4 semesters long). Then add in the costs of study books, membership of student union etc etc we were looking at a total cost of around $35,000 CAD for the whole course.

So, plan B got put into action........
Old Jan 16th 2011, 12:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Hubley, Nova Scotia (from Scotland via Yorkshire and London)
Kaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of light

We've looked at this too. Cost for me to do eg paralegal course over two years in NS community college estimated at $20k over two years, including medical insurance.

Just rough estimate as we aren't looking at it in real depth unless we need it, but for us it would be just about do-able - providing OH got a job on his open work permit - but then he would need a job if we went on PR, so no difference there.

We thought it was worth considering as our Plan B.
Old Jan 17th 2011, 12:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Kaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of light

Something just occured to me.

Can you apply for a student visa if you already have a PR application in? (Or are a spouse on one.)

Say if we decided that PR is a long way off, we may want to go earlier (timing is tricky with where the kids are in the school system) - could we go on student visa and stay in Canada temporarily, then remain if we got PR (doing the landing bit first, of course)? Or is that not allowed?
Old Jan 17th 2011, 5:06 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by Kaye5
Something just occured to me.

Can you apply for a student visa if you already have a PR application in? (Or are a spouse on one.)

Say if we decided that PR is a long way off, we may want to go earlier (timing is tricky with where the kids are in the school system) - could we go on student visa and stay in Canada temporarily, then remain if we got PR (doing the landing bit first, of course)? Or is that not allowed?

Yes, it is possible route, but it has it drawbacks, i.e. cost, and study permit may not be issued, if CIC/CHC feels that you will not leave Canada at the end of the study permit. Also, these days CIC/CHC is taking a look to see if the proposed study is a progression to previous studies. They have been taking a hard line is some cases.
Old Jan 17th 2011, 8:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

Yes, it is possible route, but it has it drawbacks, i.e. cost, and study permit may not be issued, if CIC/CHC feels that you will not leave Canada at the end of the study permit. Also, these days CIC/CHC is taking a look to see if the proposed study is a progression to previous studies. They have been taking a hard line is some cases.
Thanks! Cost is ok, the course I was looking at isn't that expensive (well, we could afford it if our house is sold - couldn't if it isn't). Yes, I was thinking that the fact my OH had an application for PR would be picked up on and they would potentially think we would not leave. I always play by the rules, and would leave if our PR wasn't through by the end of the course - but I can see why they might be suspicious!

Didn't know about the progression bit, but the course I was looking at should hopefully be ok.
Old Jan 18th 2011, 3:59 am
BE Forum Addict

OK, had a further look at this. College says apply with study permit; study permit application says have to be accepted on course first BEFORE applying for study permit. Hm.

Then... for international applicants the college wants transcripts of school certificates!How would you get a transcript for GCEs taken in 1977?

And... all certificates have to be assessed by Canadian standards before applying to college.

And... if you miss the deadline for this year (which is highly likely, given all the hoops to jump through), you have to (of course) wait another year.

Strong chance PR would be through before I managed to wade through this minefield.

Anyone actually done this?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.