Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Studying on Bunac Work Travel Visa

Studying on Bunac Work Travel Visa

Old May 29th 2008, 8:14 am
Just Joined

kateelizabeth is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Studying on Bunac Work Travel Visa

ok deep breaths i'm a bit confused???

I'm a uk citizen in vancouver on a bunac work travel visa whihch expires march 2009. I have just enrolled on a course that finishes in May 2009. I'm just wondering what would be the best thing to do?
a) apply for a tourist visa in the february to give myself 6 months
b) apply for student visa in Feb

My partner is Canadian and we are planning on going through the Common-law sponsorship application. I'm just a bit confused as what would be the best thing to do to ensure I finish the course here and manage to apply for the sponsorship successfully.

Also I've heard you can't work on a student visa? Oh so confusing...what should I do?

Thanks Kate
Old May 30th 2008, 2:59 am

Mrs Miggins is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Studying on Bunac Work Travel Visa

You can work on a student visa if your grades are ok (not failing) and you wait for six months from the date you start your course to apply.....and thats an open work permit off campus.

Many colleges and Unis also are part of the on campus work program, this is valid from the time you are issued your study permit.

I am not familiar with Bunac, but personally if you are here to study, I would have a study permit if I was studying, and I am unsure if the BUNAC covers you for that as I have no experience of it, but would be interested to know.

All the best
Mrs M x