Study Visa to PR

Old Sep 8th 2010, 9:35 pm
Forum Regular

kamshaft is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Study Visa to PR

Hi,

just a quick qestion,

im thinking of going to canada on a study visa, if i decide to stay on in canada after a college/university course(1 or 2 yr course), would it be easy for me to appy for PR??

Thanks
Old Sep 9th 2010, 11:15 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Study Visa to PR

Not easy anymore unfortunately, since they removed Category 3 of the FSW program.

You'd have to study for 2 years and work for 1 year before being eligible to apply under Canadian Experience Class, or get a job offer and then upgrade that to PR after you've finished your course.

Hope that helps.
Old Sep 9th 2010, 11:17 am
Forum Regular

kamshaft is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks for the reply,

say if i was working for a yr during my studies would that count?
Old Sep 9th 2010, 11:26 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kamshaft
thanks for the reply,

say if i was working for a yr during my studies would that count?
No, as you can only work a maximum of 20 hours a week as a student anyway (and not at all for the first six months) so it wouldn't be full-time and the work experience must be after graduation in any event.

To qualify for CEC, you must study then work for one year on a post-graduate work permit before being eligible to apply. It's also worth noting that the work must be Skilled (class A, O or B) to qualify as well.

Alternatively, as soon as you get a skilled job offer after your course you can use that to apply via PNP or FSW Cat 2.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigra....asp#education

Last edited by christmasoompa; Sep 9th 2010 at 11:29 am.