Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Study Visa Dependants Over 18 allowed work permit?

Study Visa Dependants Over 18 allowed work permit?

Old Feb 29th 2012, 8:01 am
Just Joined

Bingo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Study Visa Dependants Over 18 allowed work permit?

Hi All,

What it says in the title really! Are dependants of study visa holders aged 18+ allowed a work permit? We did the study visa thing back in 2008 but came back as the kids weren't ready, now their priorities have changed we are ready to go back to Canada via the study visa route.

Thanks for any help.
Old Feb 29th 2012, 9:42 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Study Visa Dependants Over 18 allowed work permit?

Not usually. You don't say which province you're going to or what your wife will be doing, but the only possible option would be if they come under one of the pilot programs (i.e. your wife would qualify, and therefore they would then) so do have a look at them - http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/occupations.asp

If not, then no, unfortunately they wouldn't be able to work at all unless they get a work visa in their own right. IEC maybe?

HTH.

Old Feb 29th 2012, 9:59 am
Just Joined

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. We will be going to Calgary, my wife will be studying and that will allow me an open work permit. I have a job offer and as my job is on the NOC A list on the link you provided we should be OK. I love all this "should be" stuff when moving to another country! Although my son would probably be happy with not being able to work, we wouldn't!

Cheers
Old Feb 29th 2012, 5:31 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by Bingo
Hi,

Thanks for the reply. We will be going to Calgary, my wife will be studying and that will allow me an open work permit. I have a job offer and as my job is on the NOC A list on the link you provided we should be OK. I love all this "should be" stuff when moving to another country! Although my son would probably be happy with not being able to work, we wouldn't!

Cheers
Sorry to say, but he won't be eligible under the Alberta Pilot project. As you will have an open work permit rather than job specific work permit.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resourc...2010/ob122.asp
Old Mar 1st 2012, 8:28 am
Just Joined

Plan b would be to apply for AINP when we are there, because I would be working in the job an LMO would not be needed. My visa would then be job dependant. Does that sound feasable?
Old Mar 1st 2012, 11:46 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by Bingo
Plan b would be to apply for AINP when we are there, because I would be working in the job an LMO would not be needed. My visa would then be job dependant. Does that sound feasable?
1. How is you plan B going to work. Since you require a skilled job in Alberta and the employer has to apply for you under the AINP. Or is your spouse going to try under the International Graduate? Which requires the following.

a Candidate, you must:

Clearly show in the application that you are able to and intend to live permanently in Alberta.
Have obtained a diploma, degree, or have completed a graduate level program from a publicly funded community college, trade/technical school or university in Alberta or Canada, or at a private institution in Alberta authorized by provincial statute to confer degrees.
AINP approved Alberta public and private post-secondary institutions.
Have graduated from a Canadian educational program that was a minimum of two years in length at the undergraduate level or a minimum of one year at the graduate level.
Have a current and valid post-graduation work permit issued by Citizenship and Immigration Canada.
Show that your job with your Alberta Employer is related to your field of study in Alberta or Canada.
Have six months of full-time work experience with the same Alberta Employer on a post-graduation work permit before you apply with the Alberta Employer to the AINP.