Study Visa Application??

Old Jan 26th 2012, 6:52 pm
Just Joined

steveb4 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Study Visa Application??

Hi,

Wanted to ask the question if it was possible to apply for a study visa while waiting for a permanent resident visa to be approved?

Know that you need a uni/college place before you can apply for the study visa. But was wondering if the CIC are ok with this? Found a link on their website about "Duel Intent" and was wondering if this might count against me as I have family in Canada and a fiancee already.

Hope some one can help.
Old Jan 26th 2012, 8:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Study Visa Application??

I cant think of any reason why not providing you are eligible and meet all the requirements
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/study.asp
Old Jan 27th 2012, 4:40 pm
Forum Regular

Jadantrak is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Steve

We have our PR aplication in progress, and I have a study visa that has been approved since , so we are now here in Canada studying and awaiting PR. No probs at all , hope that helps, and good luck !

J
Old Jan 29th 2012, 2:05 pm
Just Joined

steveb4 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the updates.
@Jadantrak - Do you get the study visa for the whole length of your course?
Planning on doing one for 3 years.
Old Jan 29th 2012, 2:17 pm
Forum Regular

Jadantrak is an unknown quantity at this point

yes Steve , the whole course and then my spouse work permit was given for the same time frame. Your work options will be limited depending on education institution and province.

Good luck
Old Jan 29th 2012, 10:28 pm
Just Joined

geetlahari is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jadantrak
yes Steve , the whole course and then my spouse work permit was given for the same time frame. Your work options will be limited depending on education institution and province.

Good luck
as said spouse will get open work permit, are the open work permits limited to specific province, should we work in same province of student visa holder? also are there any other limitations/obligations with this open work permit visa? can we attend/forward the application to the embassy at the same time for open work permit?
Old Jan 30th 2012, 8:55 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by geetlahari
as said spouse will get open work permit, are the open work permits limited to specific province, should we work in same province of student visa holder? also are there any other limitations/obligations with this open work permit visa? can we attend/forward the application to the embassy at the same time for open work permit?
Well, given that your spouse must be living with you, I can't see how s/he could work in a different province! But they are for any province, it will be whichever province you are studying in.

And yes, you'd apply at the same time as the study permit. There aren't really any limitations other than not being able to work in certain areas without a medical (i.e. healthcare or with kids) or do jobs that need citizenship.

HTH.