Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Study visa - any chance it won't be approved?

Study visa - any chance it won't be approved?

Old Feb 23rd 2015, 3:06 pm
Forum Regular

Perpetual has a reputation beyond reputePerpetual has a reputation beyond reputePerpetual has a reputation beyond reputePerpetual has a reputation beyond reputePerpetual has a reputation beyond reputePerpetual has a reputation beyond reputePerpetual has a reputation beyond reputePerpetual has a reputation beyond reputePerpetual has a reputation beyond reputePerpetual has a reputation beyond reputePerpetual has a reputation beyond repute
Default Study visa - any chance it won't be approved?

Hi all

I posted on here last year about mine and my husband's plans to head to Canada for a year for me to do a Master's (and possibly stay on if there is a chance and if we like it enough!). Well, I've just last week had word from the University of Toronto and I've been accepted into a program commencing in Sept this year. Yay! Quite exciting! And scary, given I've never even been to Canada before!!

My question is about the actual study visa itself. As you can imagine, we'd like to book our flights as soon as possible, as if we were to leave it until the visa is granted it may prove very expensive (we've got two children to bring with us). But my husband is concerned there is a chance the visa wouldn't be granted - no reason in particular that I can see, but can anyone give me any insight on the granting of study visas? Obviously this isn't some backyard educational institution, it's the highest ranking uni in Canada, and it's a Master of Arts I've been accepted for, which is a 12 month program.

Should we go ahead and book our flights or is this not wise?

Thanks in advance!

Kat
Old Feb 23rd 2015, 6:18 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Study visa - any chance it won't be approved?

I wouldn't book the flights until you've got the visa in hand personally. Your case sounds straightforward and I'm sure you'll be fine, but you never know whether the immi officer will think your ties to the UK are strong enough etc.

Another option would be to buy flexible or refundable tickets? They'll cost a bit more but at least then you wouldn't lose thousands if your visa app is rejected.

Good luck.
Old Feb 24th 2015, 3:20 pm
Forum Regular

Perpetual has a reputation beyond reputePerpetual has a reputation beyond reputePerpetual has a reputation beyond reputePerpetual has a reputation beyond reputePerpetual has a reputation beyond reputePerpetual has a reputation beyond reputePerpetual has a reputation beyond reputePerpetual has a reputation beyond reputePerpetual has a reputation beyond reputePerpetual has a reputation beyond reputePerpetual has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks! What do you mean about our ties to the UK? Do you mean because it's a one year visa, not permanent migration, and therefore we shouldn't be aiming to make a permanent move? We will be there for a year at this stage, the length of the course, but if we are happy I plan to apply for PR based on the Canadian experience thing that Ontario has going, given I'll have a Masters from an Ontario uni. So in a sense the student visa can be a pathway to permanent migration.

Yeah, the thing about flexible tickets is that you end up paying a fair bit more to make sure they're flexible so it's not really worth it, you may as well just leave it til later. And there really isn't any such thing as a fully refundable ticket, you still end up paying taxes I'm pretty sure. Hmm, must chat to our travel agent anyway.

Thanks again for the reply.
Old Feb 24th 2015, 8:12 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Perpetual
Thanks! What do you mean about our ties to the UK? Do you mean because it's a one year visa, not permanent migration, and therefore we shouldn't be aiming to make a permanent move?
Well yes, as per the study permit eligibility you have to show that you'll return to the UK after your course has finished and you must have strong ties to the UK. If the immi officer thinks you're planning on it being a permanent move then that's likely to mean a refusal.

Yeah, the thing about flexible tickets is that you end up paying a fair bit more to make sure they're flexible so it's not really worth it, you may as well just leave it til later. And there really isn't any such thing as a fully refundable ticket, you still end up paying taxes I'm pretty sure. Hmm, must chat to our travel agent anyway.
You wouldn't pay taxes if you cancelled your flight, most airlines just get you to pay an admin fee - for example, I know that British Airways only charges £15 to cancel.

Your call, personally I'd buy the tickets now but make sure I could cancel with minimum charges if the study permit is rejected, as the cost for that would be far less than having to book flights last minute, but that's JMO.

Best of luck.
Old Mar 20th 2015, 4:25 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks, yes perhaps we should look into what it would cost to cancel. We still haven't booked, just about to submit the application for the study permit as we had to wait for the actual official offer letter from the university to arrive. We're in Australia at the moment, have been for five years now, so we really need to show we'd be coming back here I guess, although we could go to the UK too as we are both British citizens. It's all a bit strange really, proving we intend to return as although this is the case, it's a year-long course and I am under the impression it's not possible to book a return flight over a year in advance.

Anyway, another post needed for that question! Thanks for your reply. :-)
Old Mar 20th 2015, 8:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, yes perhaps we should look into what it would cost to cancel. We still haven't booked, just about to submit the application for the study permit as we had to wait for the actual official offer letter from the university to arrive. We're in Australia at the moment, have been for five years now, so we really need to show we'd be coming back here I guess, although we could go to the UK too as we are both British citizens. It's all a bit strange really, proving we intend to return as although this is the case, it's a year-long course and I am under the impression it's not possible to book a return flight over a year in advance.

Anyway, another post needed for that question! Thanks for your reply. :-)
If you are granted the study permit then no return ticket is required on arrival in Canada.
Old Mar 21st 2015, 3:25 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

I am under the impression it's not possible to book a return flight over a year in advance.
Buy an open return, has no return date, most are valid for 12 months. You just have a find a seat in the same fare class.
Old Mar 21st 2015, 8:29 pm
Forum Regular

Hmm, okay, but that seems odd that we don't need a return ticket if granted the study permit. I do have to provide evidence as part of the application that we do not intend to remain permanently in Canada and apparently the simplest way to do this is a return ticket. It's all a bit confusing!

But yes, an open return will be the way forward I think. :-)
Old Mar 21st 2015, 8:38 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Hmm, okay, but that seems odd that we don't need a return ticket if granted the study permit.
An open return *is* a return ticket though. It's just a return without a set date, so that's what you need.