Study Visa

Old Nov 29th 2016, 2:01 pm
Just Joined

hdownie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Study Visa

Hi, I have been accepted onto a college program that starts in January. My problem is that I am currently living in Canada, as a tourist, and so I think I will need to submit a paper application to the VAC in London. Has anyone been through this process before?
Old Nov 29th 2016, 8:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Study Visa

Originally Posted by hdownie
Hi, I have been accepted onto a college program that starts in January. My problem is that I am currently living in Canada, as a tourist, and so I think I will need to submit a paper application to the VAC in London. Has anyone been through this process before?
Is the college a Designated Learning Institute if a study permit is required?
Designated learning institutions list

How long is the course and is a study permit required?
Determine your eligibility – Study in Canada

As far as I am aware all applications go through a Visa Application Centre for study permits.

Processing time
The length of time to process your application varies depending on the visa office where you applied. For more information, see application processing times.

Additional information or documents
After the visa office receives your application, the visa office might request more information or documents. These may include the following:

Medical information
In most cases, you will need a medical examination. A visa officer will send you instructions if you need one. This may add more than three months to the processing time of your application. Find more information about medical examinations.
Security information
If you want to study in Canada, you and any family members who come to Canada with you, and who are 18 years of age and over, may have to provide police certificates. Find more information about the security checks.
Apply—Study permits
Old Nov 30th 2016, 1:21 am
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

FL has given you some great advice, and should cover everything you need to know. Do post again if you have further questions. Best of luck, and congrats on your acceptance!
Old Nov 30th 2016, 12:14 pm
Just Joined

Thank you!!
Yes, it is at a DLS. It's a two year construction programme. I don't believe I will need to have a medical, but I'm wondering if I need to send my passport with my application? I don't think so, but would you know? Also, can I request that my visa be returned to me in Canada and if so, would I need to visit the border to receive the visa?
Also, my passport expires in 8 months, so I can't send off for a new one yet (has to be within 6 months and I wouldn't have time anyway), but as it is a two year course, will I only be granted a visa until my passport expires?
Old Nov 30th 2016, 12:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you!!
Yes, it is at a DLS. It's a two year construction programme. I don't believe I will need to have a medical, but I'm wondering if I need to send my passport with my application? I don't think so, but would you know? Also, can I request that my visa be returned to me in Canada and if so, would I need to visit the border to receive the visa?
Also, my passport expires in 8 months, so I can't send off for a new one yet (has to be within 6 months and I wouldn't have time anyway), but as it is a two year course, will I only be granted a visa until my passport expires?
No medical exam required.
To get the study permit you would have to go to the border to have the actual study permit issued as the visa offices only issue the letters of introduction for the issuance of the study permit.
If you send in your current passport details a study permit would only be issued for the 8 months unless you are a US citizen.
Easier to renew the passport then submit the application with the new passport details or the actual passport if requiring a visa.
No idea about them sending it to Canada but I don't see why they wouldn't if in Canada with legal status.

Call the CIC help line at 1 888 242 2100 if you wish.
Old Nov 30th 2016, 12:28 pm
Just Joined

Great, thanks. I'll call CIC tomorrow - though it's hard to get through sometimes. I'm just here as a 'tourist' so no real legal status. Thanks though.
Old Nov 30th 2016, 6:09 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Also, my passport expires in 8 months, so I can't send off for a new one yet (has to be within 6 months and I wouldn't have time anyway)
I assume it's not a British passport then? As they can be renewed anytime, and up to 9 months validity from the old one added to the new.

https://www.gov.uk/renew-adult-passport/renew
Old Dec 1st 2016, 1:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

You should sort your passport out before applying for a study permit. Permit validity will never be longer than your passport expiry date. You can apply to extend the SP but I gather UK passport renewals arrive very quickly to Canada (I read on a BE thread). As FL says easier/preferable to get the new passport first.

S

Just seen your proposed start date. Can you put this back?

Last edited by Snowy560; Dec 1st 2016 at 2:28 am.
Old Dec 2nd 2016, 4:39 am
Just Joined

Yes, it is a UK passport. That's my mistake, I thought it was six months.
Although passports do come back very quickly from the UK, I don't think I will have enough time to wait for it to come back and then get my SP application sent off, receive my LOI and then get to the border before the program start date of January 9. I can't defer the date unfortunately.
The VAC in London shows an approximate processing time of four weeks. I'm hoping my application would be fairly simple as I already have a CIC number and profile from previous IEC and study visas.