Wikiposts

Study Visa

Old Sep 8th 2011, 8:24 am
Just Joined

happyface999 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Study Visa

Hi

I am moving from the UK in a couple of months and wonder if anybody has any advice they can offer. I will be coming over on a study visa, my husband will have a temporary work visa and our children will have study visas. I will be studying in Calgary and we are looking to rent in Cochrane. My husband is a serving PS in the Met and as the CPS are not recruiting non-residents at present he will be looking for work elsewhere. If anybody has any advice on any of the above it will be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks
Old Sep 8th 2011, 8:44 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Study Visa

Hi there, and welcome to BE.

What exactly did you want help with? Sorry, but I couldn't see a question in your thread and wasn't sure which aspect of it you needed advice on. If you can clarify then hopefully somebody can help.

If you follow the link in my signature there is tons of advice and info in there, so maybe grab a cuppa and have a read?

Good luck with the move.
Old Sep 8th 2011, 9:34 pm
Just Joined

happyface999 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks, yes I suppose I should have been a bit clearer. Whilst my husband is looking for work doing whatever, wherever, if anyone knows of any company who may take somebody with his experience it would be a good starting point. Obviously we are going to need to buy a cheapish car so anyone know of a reputable garage? Also has anyone gone to Canada on a study visa and been successful in getting a job/permanent residence at the end of study?
Old Sep 8th 2011, 11:58 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

It might be worth posting in the Jobs Wanted section of the forum, and also do read (or get your husband to read) the Job Hunting section of the Wiki as it'll tell him how to go about finding work over there. The fact that he's got an open work permit will be a big advantage as he'll be able to start straight away.

No idea on cars but if you put a thread in the main part of the forum hopefully those around the area you are moving to will be able to help - if you've read the link in my signature hopefully you've seen the article about which bit of the forum is for what? The immigration section is only for visa/legal type stuff, and any general queries should be posted in the main section where they'll get more response.

With regard to a work permit and PR after your study permit though, I'm sure you are aware that there is no longer an automatic route to PR from a study permit. So you'd need to find a job offer after your course finishes (you haven't said what kind of course you're doing - is it one that will lead to a post-graduate work permit?). Hopefully you can use your work permit to find something that you can then use to apply for PR if you want to stay.