Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Study Permits - whilst on Work Permit

Wikiposts

Study Permits - whilst on Work Permit

Old May 3rd 2007, 6:51 am
BE Enthusiast

lilacheart has a brilliant futurelilacheart has a brilliant futurelilacheart has a brilliant futurelilacheart has a brilliant futurelilacheart has a brilliant futurelilacheart has a brilliant future
Default Re: Study Permits - whilst on Work Permit

I phoned one of the schools in the area we want to be in PEI and they don't need study permits.

The lady I spoke to said if I went in with my son on a Monday, I would fill out enrolment forms and he would start on Tuesday.

Sounds good to me, I won't argue with that !

Kerry
Old May 4th 2007, 4:18 am
Forum Regular

rabrol has much to be proud ofrabrol has much to be proud ofrabrol has much to be proud ofrabrol has much to be proud ofrabrol has much to be proud ofrabrol has much to be proud ofrabrol has much to be proud ofrabrol has much to be proud ofrabrol has much to be proud ofrabrol has much to be proud ofrabrol has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by kerlynkeo
I phoned one of the schools in the area we want to be in PEI and they don't need study permits.

The lady I spoke to said if I went in with my son on a Monday, I would fill out enrolment forms and he would start on Tuesday.
When we entered Canada at Toronto, we picked up a WP for me, and the officer asked if the kids were school age. He then issued a Study Permit for our son.

After being here around a year it was time for our daughter to begin kindergarden. So I called CIC's toll free number. I was informed that she would not require as study permit as she is listed on my WP.

The school never asked to see study permits, but they did want to see some proof that our kids were legally entitled to be in the country. My WP lists them, so no problems.

HTH,
Rob
Old May 7th 2007, 11:44 am
BE Enthusiast

mandi moo is a splendid one to beholdmandi moo is a splendid one to beholdmandi moo is a splendid one to beholdmandi moo is a splendid one to beholdmandi moo is a splendid one to beholdmandi moo is a splendid one to beholdmandi moo is a splendid one to beholdmandi moo is a splendid one to beholdmandi moo is a splendid one to beholdmandi moo is a splendid one to beholdmandi moo is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by rabrol
When we entered Canada at Toronto, we picked up a WP for me, and the officer asked if the kids were school age. He then issued a Study Permit for our son.

After being here around a year it was time for our daughter to begin kindergarden. So I called CIC's toll free number. I was informed that she would not require as study permit as she is listed on my WP.

The school never asked to see study permits, but they did want to see some proof that our kids were legally entitled to be in the country. My WP lists them, so no problems.

HTH,
Rob
I can also confirm that. We also got WP at POE and kids were added onto them.When we put them into school all they had to see was the WP and there birth certificates.
Mandi
Old May 10th 2007, 1:02 pm
halfway

dmelec has a spectacular aura aboutdmelec has a spectacular aura aboutdmelec has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by burton bunch
Hi guys

Since posting this thread it says on the Calgary Education website that WP holders minor kids don't need one - and am presuming it will be the same for the town in Southern Alberta I am going to.

Why buy one if the education department dont want one ?

Seems to be conflicting information where ever I turn

Gaynor
hi , we are in a similar position , arriving 24th May in Calgary on Work permit , our 5 year old is starting school in september so we made an appointment with Calgary education board at Riverside bungalows to enroll him , we were told to show my work permit and passports , no mention of a study permit , however as these things are so easy to get at the time and probably a pain retrospectively , i would recommend speaking directly to the school were your kids will go , or if you are not sure of this , speak to the relevant department of the education board where you will register the kids , piece of mind is always a bonus at a potentially stressful time . good luck
Old May 10th 2007, 7:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

burton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dmelec
i would recommend speaking directly to the school were your kids will go , or if you are not sure of this , speak to the relevant department of the education board where you will register the kids , piece of mind is always a bonus at a potentially stressful time . good luck
Hi dmelec

This is what I did in the end. I rang the local education department stated the scenario and asked what would happen. So helpful these council employees nothing like the ones in the uK.

Gay
x