Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Study permits - entering before course begins?

Study permits - entering before course begins?

Old Mar 18th 2008, 11:52 pm
Just Joined

jamieandfamily is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Study permits - entering before course begins?

My OH is considering a post grad course, I would be able to get a spousal WP if she does it.
Does anyone know how many months before the course begins we could enter Canada, thus allowing me to obtain that WP?
Would 6 months be allowed?
J
Old Mar 19th 2008, 1:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Ibraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to all
Default Re: Study permits - entering before course begins?

I don't think there is a specific time frame , as long as she can obtain the official offer from the university, you can apply for the study permit,but of course the final decision is up to the visa office, I would be reasonable though
Old Mar 19th 2008, 2:42 am
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jamieandfamily
Does anyone know how many months before the course begins we could enter Canada, thus allowing me to obtain that WP? Would 6 months be allowed?
I don't know for sure, but I very much doubt it.

If you're British, you most likely could enter Canada as visitors for 6 month's prior to the start of your OH's course. I say "most likely" because that is the length of time for which British visitors usually are allowed into Canada (although the immigration officer at the port of entry always has authorization to use his/her discretion and not let the visitor in at all or let them in for a period that is shorter than 6 months).

But visitors are not entitled to work in Canada, and their children are not entitled to free schooling.

My understanding is that the term of a spousal open work permit is tied to the term of the other spouse's work permit or study permit. That is, the two permits are valid for the same period.
x
Old Mar 19th 2008, 4:15 am
Just Joined

Thanks
My understanding, which I accept could be wrong, is that the WP for the spouse and the study permit would be granted at the point of entry on the production of correspondence from CHC London - My logic is therefore that the Work Permit would state that it expires at the same time as the study permit but would not have an activation date as such, it would merely be entered in the passport on the day of entry.

Any experiences or views that support or undermine my logic would be appreciated.
J
Old Mar 19th 2008, 4:20 am
BE Forum Addict

daft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jamieandfamily
Thanks
My understanding, which I accept could be wrong, is that the WP for the spouse and the study permit would be granted at the point of entry on the production of correspondence from CHC London - My logic is therefore that the Work Permit would state that it expires at the same time as the study permit but would not have an activation date as such, it would merely be entered in the passport on the day of entry.

Any experiences or views that support or undermine my logic would be appreciated.
J

We arrived on my study permit. MOH's open work permit was issued at the POE for the same length of time as my study permit. They dont have to do this. They dont have to issue a study permit for the duration of the study program either, they can make you reapply at each vacation, should they want to.

The activation date as you call it, is the date that immigration stamps it when you arrive. This is the same for both student and open work permit.
Old Mar 19th 2008, 4:25 am
Just Joined

Thanks

How long before the course started did you enter the country?
J