Study Permit for Her & OWP for Me

Old Nov 30th 2016, 3:45 pm
Just Joined

josltd is an unknown quantity at this point
Post Study Permit for Her & OWP for Me

I am new on this forum and have been blessed with the amount of information here.

Wife recently applied for a 2 years Study Permit in social work and have been approved with a letter of introduction without problems. program start date is August 2017.

Question is; when is the best time for us to arrive and apply for both study permit and open work permit. bearing in mind that we completed the application with my name and kids name completed as to accompany student to Canada.

I would Ideally prefer to go as early as possible for me to set up accommodations etc while wife and kids return to England until the summer break. ie we thought of going December? Is this an Ideal Date?

We will appreciate your contributions with thanks

Joseph
Old Nov 30th 2016, 6:45 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Study Permit for Her & OWP for Me

HI

Originally Posted by josltd
I am new on this forum and have been blessed with the amount of information here.

Wife recently applied for a 2 years Study Permit in social work and have been approved with a letter of introduction without problems. program start date is August 2017.

Question is; when is the best time for us to arrive and apply for both study permit and open work permit. bearing in mind that we completed the application with my name and kids name completed as to accompany student to Canada.

I would Ideally prefer to go as early as possible for me to set up accommodations etc while wife and kids return to England until the summer break. ie we thought of going December? Is this an Ideal Date?

We will appreciate your contributions with thanks

Joseph
1. IMHO too early. CBSA may refuse to issue the Study permit 8 months in advance of the start of the program, and they are surely not going to issue a work permit to you 8 months prior to the program's start. Usually a month or so prior to the start would be optimum.
Old Dec 13th 2016, 9:28 am
Just Joined

josltd is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks very much PMM.

I will appreciate your contributions on this as well. Is it possible to change our minds on who will study knowing wife has been approved already by CIC. if possible, should we apply for study permit as normal for me with a note to explain why we have decided a change in situation?

We are thinking of switching the status to husband studying while wife gets a work permit scenario. I will like to go ahead few months to prepare ahead of their coming.

Joseph
Old Dec 13th 2016, 9:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks very much PMM.

I will appreciate your contributions on this as well. Is it possible to change our minds on who will study knowing wife has been approved already by CIC. if possible, should we apply for study permit as normal for me with a note to explain why we have decided a change in situation?

We are thinking of switching the status to husband studying while wife gets a work permit scenario. I will like to go ahead few months to prepare ahead of their coming.

Joseph
Anyone can apply for a study permit providing they meet the eligibility requirements and study at a Designated Learning Institute.
Study in Canada

Spouses are eligible for an open work permit. Families don't all have to arrive at the same time and can accompany later. As said in PMM's post CBSA will be reluctant to issue any study permit when the person arrives several months before their studying commences.
Arriving a month or less before classes start is the normal.
Old Dec 13th 2016, 12:21 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure why you think you need 8 or 9 months to sort out accommodation - you can do that from your home country! But as the others have said a month max is really the time you should be heading out there. Otherwise it just looks like you're using the study permit to live in Canada, rather than for genuine reasons.

If you want to study now instead of your wife, then you just need to apply for a study permit yourself (once accepted on to a course), but you still can't go to Canada that far ahead of the course starting.

Take heed of FL's and PMM's advice - FL is a CBSA officer and PMM has more experience and knowledge than the rest of the forum put together, so do make sure you don't go more than 3 or 4 weeks ahead of the start of the study course.

Good luck.
Old Dec 16th 2016, 10:46 pm
Forum Regular

peeshpie has a reputation beyond reputepeeshpie has a reputation beyond reputepeeshpie has a reputation beyond reputepeeshpie has a reputation beyond reputepeeshpie has a reputation beyond reputepeeshpie has a reputation beyond reputepeeshpie has a reputation beyond reputepeeshpie has a reputation beyond reputepeeshpie has a reputation beyond reputepeeshpie has a reputation beyond reputepeeshpie has a reputation beyond repute

If I remember correctly, I applied for my study permit in the UK and got approval in 7 days. We arrived 2 weeks prior to starting classes with temporary accommodation arranged from the UK. Easy!
Old Dec 16th 2016, 11:11 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

..... Is it possible to change our minds on who will study knowing wife has been approved already by CIC. if possible, should we apply for study permit as normal for me with a note to explain why we have decided a change in situation?

We are thinking of switching the status to husband studying while wife gets a work permit scenario. I will like to go ahead few months to prepare ahead of their coming. ....
It looks like you're more interested in living and working in Canada than studying in Canada.
Old Jan 7th 2017, 7:49 pm
Just Joined

GMcD1983 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all, my partner received a study permit, and already left the UK 2 weeks ago and has now started his course. I am still in the UK but now plan to apply for an OWP and join him. However I am confused about 2 questions on the questionnaire you need to fill out before being able to apply, and hoping you can help...

1. Will you be coming to Canada with a spouse or common-law partner who is, or will be, working in Canada as a foreign worker or who is, or will be, a full-time student at a university, community college, CEGEP or other authorized educational institution?

I am not technically 'coming to Canada' with him, because he is already there, but I guess the answer to this should be YES?

2. Are you of working age, and a dependent of a person who is (or will be):
working in Canada,
or a full-time student at a designated learning institution?

Am I to answer YES to this one too?

Any advice would be appreciated. Also, has anyone done the OWP this way, and has anyone had any problems?

Thanks
Old Jan 7th 2017, 9:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GMcD1983
Hi all, my partner received a study permit, and already left the UK 2 weeks ago and has now started his course. I am still in the UK but now plan to apply for an OWP and join him. However I am confused about 2 questions on the questionnaire you need to fill out before being able to apply, and hoping you can help...

1. Will you be coming to Canada with a spouse or common-law partner who is, or will be, working in Canada as a foreign worker or who is, or will be, a full-time student at a university, community college, CEGEP or other authorized educational institution?

I am not technically 'coming to Canada' with him, because he is already there, but I guess the answer to this should be YES?

2. Are you of working age, and a dependent of a person who is (or will be):
working in Canada,
or a full-time student at a designated learning institution?

Am I to answer YES to this one too?

Any advice would be appreciated. Also, has anyone done the OWP this way, and has anyone had any problems?

Thanks
Get a copy of his study permit and have a copy of the marriage certificate. Fly to Canada with valid eTA and pay the $155 for the work permit and the $100 processing fee at the port of entry and thats it. Assuming you are a UK citizen.
Old Jan 7th 2017, 11:17 pm
Just Joined

GMcD1983 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Get a copy of his study permit and have a copy of the marriage certificate. Fly to Canada with valid eTA and pay the $155 for the work permit and the $100 processing fee at the port of entry and thats it. Assuming you are a UK citizen.
Yes I was thinking about that, is that literally all I would need? Do I not have to fill out any of the application forms? We are not married, but I have a declaration of common law union that has been notarised, and I can take along proof of address and relationship etc.
Old Jan 8th 2017, 1:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by GMcD1983
Yes I was thinking about that, is that literally all I would need? Do I not have to fill out any of the application forms? We are not married, but I have a declaration of common law union that has been notarised, and I can take along proof of address and relationship etc.
Thats good enough the SOWP is easy. No forms to fill out or pictures if done at a POE on arrival.