study permit from canada

Old Jan 5th 2008, 6:23 am
Just Joined

jeremt is an unknown quantity at this point
Default study permit from canada

I came to Canada with my wife and two children on visitor's visas and have decided that we would like to stay longer.
I am a qualified electrician by trade but have spent the last few years running my own business, I understand that I would need to retake the last year of a three year course and take the Canadian code before I could work. We have enough money to support us through the course.

Is this true and if so how hard is it to obtain a study permit whilst in Canada?

Any information will be gratefully received.

Thanks

Jerry
Old Jan 5th 2008, 11:07 am

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: study permit from canada

As a visitor you cannot apply for study or work permit within Canada - your application must be submitted to proper visa post abroad.
Old Jan 5th 2008, 11:35 am
Just Joined

Hi thanks for the reply.
Does that mean that we would all have to return to UK or could it be done by post?
Thanks again.
Jerry
Old Jan 5th 2008, 12:19 pm

Application must go to London, you don't have to.
Old Jan 5th 2008, 12:45 pm

Mrs Miggins is an unknown quantity at this point

Very simple to do, providing, as Andrew always points out that you have put everything together that you need to and that it's not a complicated or intricate issue, which it would appear not to be.

Search on here, you will find lots of info and obviously CIC website, there should also be a phone number on hear that you can call that I posted a few moths ago, under the heading - useful phone number or something

Best of luck

Mrs M x
Old Jan 5th 2008, 1:02 pm
Just Joined

Hi
That's good news.

Do you know if it would be possible, or easier to apply straight for a work permit, or would I have to study first?

Also have you any idea of the processing time for both?
Old Jan 5th 2008, 2:38 pm
Forum Regular

ScottDrummer is a name known to allScottDrummer is a name known to allScottDrummer is a name known to allScottDrummer is a name known to allScottDrummer is a name known to allScottDrummer is a name known to allScottDrummer is a name known to allScottDrummer is a name known to allScottDrummer is a name known to allScottDrummer is a name known to allScottDrummer is a name known to all

Can you apply for a study permit on a 1 year bunac visa?

sorry to hi-jack the thread but its slightly relevent.
Old Jan 5th 2008, 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by ScottDrummer
Can you apply for a study permit on a 1 year bunac visa?

sorry to hi-jack the thread but its slightly relevent.
Yes. You can apply through Vegreville using the application for Change of Conditions/Extension of Stay.
Old Jan 5th 2008, 2:58 pm
Forum Regular

ScottDrummer is a name known to allScottDrummer is a name known to allScottDrummer is a name known to allScottDrummer is a name known to allScottDrummer is a name known to allScottDrummer is a name known to allScottDrummer is a name known to allScottDrummer is a name known to allScottDrummer is a name known to allScottDrummer is a name known to allScottDrummer is a name known to all

Thank you
Old Jan 5th 2008, 3:02 pm

Mrs Miggins is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jeremt
Hi
That's good news.

Do you know if it would be possible, or easier to apply straight for a work permit, or would I have to study first?

Also have you any idea of the processing time for both?
Jeremt - you have to study for 6 months for at least 15hr per week or more before you are even entitled to get a work permit, and then it's only if the college you study at has the eligibility to provide you with one, however your partner would be given an open work permit immeadiately ready to go with your study permit.

In the CIC I believe they are about 28 days - 6 weeks, you apply for both together, but you need proof of funds also in the bank to show you can pay fees etc (which happen to be double because you are an international student). Other than that I would suggest that now is the time for YOU TO RESEARCH IT YOURSELF!!!!!! It's a great route to go, but only if you are serious about study and not just looking for a quick way in......

Mrs M x
Old Jan 6th 2008, 8:45 am
Just Joined

Hi andrew and Mrs M
Thanks a lot for the advice really helpfull:

Jerry