Study Permit Application Help

Old Jun 12th 2018, 8:55 pm
Just Joined

6scottishbarrons is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Study Permit Application Help

Hi everyone
To update, we decided following my husband's 2 visits to Canada that we would go down the study route. He's made some great job contacts but being over there with an open work permit will enable him to build some Canadian experience and we can hopefully go for PR in time with my added points from Canadian education. So I now have a place at College and have received my tuition receipt and confirmed letter of acceptance. I have begun my study permit application (am aware that time is tight!) and have a few questions if anyone can advise.

1. Do I apply for my husband's open work permit alongside my application - and therefore complete a use of a family representative form? or are we better to not apply for his OWP now and just do it at PoE?
2. In relation to my husband's section - if I am doing an application for his OWP it requires a document for proof of travel (and gives examples of a return flight ticket, a travel itinerary or medical appointment) - what do we upload here? Obviously our intention is to stay for the 2 years of my study and if I can get a full time job then we would stay for as long as my PGWP lasts and in that time hopefully we would have accrued enough points to get an invite for PR. However, I presume for immigration purposes they will want to see we intend to leave but how do we show this?
3. Proof of funds - is this like the proof of funds for PR in the sense that we need to that we have the money at the point of applying and we still need to have that money (having not gone down) when we arrive at PoE. The reason I'm asking is we have enough in the one account to cover the fees and members of the family as needed however, some of that money was to be used for our moving costs etc. We're in the process of selling our farm which was going to release the capital to cover this but it might be the account fluctuates between nonw and end of August when we fly out)
4. I have put our 4 children on the family forms but the system stated they didn't need an application as such. I presume that this will be enough at PoE?

I think that's all for now as I plough through all the forms!

Thanks in advance

Last edited by 6scottishbarrons; Jun 12th 2018 at 9:28 pm.
Old Jun 12th 2018, 9:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Study Permit Application Help

If UK citizens then the easiest way IMHO is you apply for the study permit. Once you receive the Letter Of Invitation to present at the Port of Entry for your study permit then all travel together. Husband can apply for the SOWP at the POE and pay the relevant fees.
Children would be issued visitor records to attend school. How long is the study period 1 year or up to 4 years? Make sure all passports are valid for length of stay required. PR is a long way off so dont get bogged down as first you have to be accepted at a Designated Learning Institute and receive the LOI. Once this has been achieved then start looking at PR avenues. Say it was a 4 year course then CBSA won't be looking for a return ticket or proof of returning when you initially arrive.
Old Jun 12th 2018, 10:02 pm
Just Joined

Hi
Thanks for the clarification. Sounds a bit more straight forward that way. The course I've been accepted onto is a 2 year diploma at College of the Rockies. Do you think they'll want to see proof of return for that length of time? F
if so how do we do that?

I'll remove husband from the application then and just leave it as me and get him to apply at Poe for his work permit.

do you know how rigid the proof of funds are in terms of proving we have them now and constantly until we go? We currently have enough for the 2 years but wasn't sure if we could use and replace these funds in the next 2 months before we head out (presuming the study permit applications goes smoothly!)

Thanks again
Old Jun 12th 2018, 10:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 6scottishbarrons
Hi
Thanks for the clarification. Sounds a bit more straight forward that way. The course I've been accepted onto is a 2 year diploma at College of the Rockies. Do you think they'll want to see proof of return for that length of time? F
if so how do we do that?

I'll remove husband from the application then and just leave it as me and get him to apply at Poe for his work permit.

do you know how rigid the proof of funds are in terms of proving we have them now and constantly until we go? We currently have enough for the 2 years but wasn't sure if we could use and replace these funds in the next 2 months before we head out (presuming the study permit applications goes smoothly!)

Thanks again
I assume you are going to BC then as College of the Rockies is a DLI College of the RockiesO19377233362Cranbrook, Creston, Fernie, Golden, Invermere, KimberleyYes offers PGWP. For a 2 year course no return ticket required as duration of term will be on the paperwork you present at the POE.
From the CIC website regarding funds

Students are required to demonstrate financial sufficiency for only the first year of studies, regardless of the duration of the course or program of studies in which they are enrolled. In other words, a single student entering a four-year degree program with an annual tuition fee of $15,000 must demonstrate funds of $15,000 to satisfy the requirements, and not the full $60,000 which would be required for four years. Officers should be satisfied however that the probability of funding for future years does exist (i.e., parents are employed); scholarship is for more than one year. Applications for extensions made to CPC-V must also meet this requirement.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...plication.html
Old Jun 12th 2018, 10:21 pm
Just Joined

That's awesome. Thank you. Another quick question. I believe I would be allowed to work (restricted hours etc) alongside my course. Do I need a separate permit for this or is it part of the study permit?
Old Jun 12th 2018, 10:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by 6scottishbarrons
That's awesome. Thank you. Another quick question. I believe I would be allowed to work (restricted hours etc) alongside my course. Do I need a separate permit for this or is it part of the study permit?
Part of the study permit however there are limits to working hours

Maximum working hours permitted

Students eligible to work under paragraph R186(v) can do the following:
  • work up to 20 hours per week during academic sessions once they have commenced their program of study
  • work full time during regularly scheduled breaks between academic sessions regardless of their course load
Students may not work until they have commenced their program of study. They must actually commence studies in Canada at a DLI before being eligible to work off campus.

Intensive programs

Some intensive programs may not have regularly scheduled breaks. Students participating in such programs may work a maximum of 20 hours per week during the entire program of study.

A lot of other questions can be answered in the link below
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...y-permits.html
Old Jun 12th 2018, 10:29 pm
Just Joined

You're a star, thank you so much. 😁