Wikiposts

Study Permit

Old Mar 9th 2021, 9:53 am
Just Joined

uzoma is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Study Permit

Hello, I am new here and I recently applied for study permit (3rd of February) together with my dependants (4 children) provided all required documents.
Recently (4th March), my children have all been issued with the study permit approval letter and ETA. However, my application is still being processed and l was just wondering if anyone have found themselves in this situation before and should l assume as my children have been approved that mine will follow suit?

Just to add, l am a British citizen and my children are German citizens. We live in the UK

Last edited by uzoma; Mar 9th 2021 at 9:54 am. Reason: added information
Old Mar 9th 2021, 9:10 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Study Permit

Hi, welcome to BE.

You can't assume that yours will be approved, no. A child school study permit is incredibly straightforward (most kids don't even need them to go to to school in Canada). Yours will be subject to many more checks, such as having enough funds to support you all, the course of study being legitimate, and (as you've not mentioned another parent), the right to remove the children from UK jurisdiction, etc. But hopefully it will be approved, yours will just take a bit longer as it's a more involved decision.

Are your children not British citizens too?
Old Mar 9th 2021, 9:21 pm
Just Joined

Thank you for taking the time to respond. l do have funds which l have provided them with the proof of, Before the kids were issued with their permit letter, they requested for authorization letter from the other parent which was provided along with his proof of identification.
My ex-husband is a German citizen, my kids were all born in Germany and they hold German passports, l am the only one who holds a British passport but l got this after l had given birth to them. l feel that German passport which they have is as good as if not better than getting a British passport (Because it seems the number of country they can visit is greater with it than a UK passport), so l chose to let them keep that.

l was just thinking that the application would have been done together or mine before theirs as they cannot possibly travel on their own to Canada.

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Hi, welcome to BE.

You can't assume that yours will be approved, no. A child school study permit is incredibly straightforward (most kids don't even need them to go to to school in Canada). Yours will be subject to many more checks, such as having enough funds to support you all, the course of study being legitimate, and (as you've not mentioned another parent), the right to remove the children from UK jurisdiction, etc. But hopefully it will be approved, yours will just take a bit longer as it's a more involved decision.

Are your children not British citizens too?
Old Mar 9th 2021, 10:34 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by uzoma
Thank you for taking the time to respond. l do have funds which l have provided them with the proof of, Before the kids were issued with their permit letter, they requested for authorization letter from the other parent which was provided along with his proof of identification.
My ex-husband is a German citizen, my kids were all born in Germany and they hold German passports, l am the only one who holds a British passport but l got this after l had given birth to them. l feel that German passport which they have is as good as if not better than getting a British passport (Because it seems the number of country they can visit is greater with it than a UK passport), so l chose to let them keep that.

l was just thinking that the application would have been done together or mine before theirs as they cannot possibly travel on their own to Canada.
Fair enough, I don't know if dual citizenship is allowed in Germany, if not then that makes perfect sense. Your children's study permits aren't linked to yours (most children of study permit holders don't need them to go to school in Canada), they'll be assessed on their own merits. So yours will just take a bit longer, but sounds like you've got everything sorted so hopefully it will be granted in time.

Best of luck.
Old Mar 10th 2021, 12:33 am
Just Joined

Fair enough, I don't know if dual citizenship is allowed in Germany, if not then that makes perfect sense. Your children's study permits aren't linked to yours (most children of study permit holders don't need them to go to school in Canada), they'll be assessed on their own merits. So yours will just take a bit longer, but sounds like you've got everything sorted so hopefully it will be granted in time.

Best of luck.
Thank you so much Christmasoompa. Fingers crossed it all comes out well. We are hopefully heading to the city of Swift Current in Saskatchewan; l already got school places for the kids and just hoping for the Canadian experience with them.
Old Mar 10th 2021, 5:41 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Best of luck.
1. Germany really doesn't allow dual citizenship, except in certain circumstances."As such, if a German national residing in the UK, who holds indefinite leave to remain or Settled Status, has made a successful application to naturalise as a British citizen prior to 31 December 2020, they may be able to hold dual German and British nationality.

However, as the law currently stands, Germany will not permit dual citizenship for those who do not meet the naturalisation residency requirements prior to 31 December 2020, and who choose to apply to naturalise as British citizens (and are successful) after 31 December 2020. In this situation, German citizenship must be surrendered upon becoming British. (Beibehaltungsgenehmigung). "
Old Mar 10th 2021, 5:43 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

1. Germany really doesn't allow dual citizenship, except in certain circumstances."As such, if a German national residing in the UK, who holds indefinite leave to remain or Settled Status, has made a successful application to naturalise as a British citizen prior to 31 December 2020, they may be able to hold dual German and British nationality.

However, as the law currently stands, Germany will not permit dual citizenship for those who do not meet the naturalisation residency requirements prior to 31 December 2020, and who choose to apply to naturalise as British citizens (and are successful) after 31 December 2020. In this situation, German citizenship must be surrendered upon becoming British. (Beibehaltungsgenehmigung). "

Thank you very much for that. I was not looking to get them British citizenship. I am okay with being the only British in the house for now.