Study Permit

Old Mar 20th 2006, 5:00 am
Just Joined

TROY8712 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Study Permit

Hi, I was going to Canada on a work visa sponsored through SWAP. I would like instead to go as student to Sheridan College in Oakville, ON I mailed in my application to the college this morning and im sure I will get an offer of admission. My question is on the application for a study permit where it ask for proof of financial standing etc. I will be using a loan for school through the US government "FAFSA" through Sally Mae. However I do not have a bank account to show I have money to pay for living expenses. Will an affidavit from my mother stating she will western union me $1000 USD every month and a copy of my moms bank statements will that suffice as proof?.

Please help me
Thanks
Old Mar 20th 2006, 5:08 am
Forum Regular

ghitchi2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Study Permit

Originally Posted by TROY8712
Hi, I was going to Canada on a work visa sponsored through SWAP. I would like instead to go as student to Sheridan College in Oakville, ON I mailed in my application to the college this morning and im sure I will get an offer of admission. My question is on the application for a study permit where it ask for proof of financial standing etc. I will be using a loan for school through the US government "FAFSA" through Sally Mae. However I do not have a bank account to show I have money to pay for living expenses. Will an affidavit from my mother stating she will western union me $1000 USD every month and a copy of my moms bank statements will that suffice as proof?.

Please help me
Thanks

I didn't even need a proper affidavit. I just wrote a letter myself and asked my mum to sign it saying that she'd give me whatever money i needed to pay for my schooling. Didn't specify any figures and didn't use a lawyer.
Old Mar 20th 2006, 5:41 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by ghitchi2
I didn't even need a proper affidavit. I just wrote a letter myself and asked my mum to sign it saying that she'd give me whatever money i needed to pay for my schooling. Didn't specify any figures and didn't use a lawyer.

What country are you from if you don't mind me asking. Im from the US and I think I may be able to do that as well. Was yours notarized or anything special and did you need a copy of her bank statements. I will be applying in Los Angeles as soon as I get my admission offer.
Old Mar 20th 2006, 6:43 am
BE Enthusiast

celine_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of light

What country are you from if you don't mind me asking. Im from the US and I think I may be able to do that as well. Was yours notarized or anything special and did you need a copy of her bank statements. I will be applying in Los Angeles as soon as I get my admission offer.

i suggest you get yourself a bank account lol, how do you live without one lol just jokeing, oakville is a lovely town/city, i live just around the corner in toronto, so have you been to canada before?
Old Mar 20th 2006, 7:10 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by celine_uk
i suggest you get yourself a bank account lol, how do you live without one lol just jokeing, oakville is a lovely town/city, i live just around the corner in toronto, so have you been to canada before?

Hi, yeah I went to Ontario last year to look at schools. I loved it there which is why I chose to study in Canada. I agree I should get a bank account, but I figured why open an account in the states if I will be leaving for the next 3 years. But I guess I better just open one for immigration purposes.
Old Mar 20th 2006, 7:17 am
Forum Regular

ghitchi2 is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm from the UK. Studied in Ottawa for 2 years, now working here. I sent them a photo copy of my passport, some of my bank statements, some of my mum's bank statments and a letter signed by my mum saying that she'd pay for me. None of it was really official I guess....nothing was notarized or done through a lawyer. I guess they just decided to trust me.
Old Mar 20th 2006, 7:20 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by ghitchi2
I'm from the UK. Studied in Ottawa for 2 years, now working here. I sent them a photo copy of my passport, some of my bank statements, some of my mum's bank statments and a letter signed by my mum saying that she'd pay for me. None of it was really official I guess....nothing was notarized or done through a lawyer. I guess they just decided to trust me.

Ah okay, sounds good. I will contact the Canadian Consulate though to see exactly what I should send. I noticed that I can apply at a POE, has anyone here done that? anyways I will just contact the consulate and see what they say. Thanks everyone.
Old Mar 20th 2006, 7:40 am
BE Enthusiast

celine_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of light

Hi, yeah I went to Ontario last year to look at schools. I loved it there which is why I chose to study in Canada. I agree I should get a bank account, but I figured why open an account in the states if I will be leaving for the next 3 years. But I guess I better just open one for immigration purposes.

K welcome to Canada man!

Im from England moved here 3 years ago, and thank god I didn’t close my English bank accounts when I moved to Canada (im 23 so was around your age to at the time) …….. It’s so much easier having a bank account in England for many reasons etc…. A bit of advice on using western union, you don’t really need to really…. Most Canadian bank allow you to open US dollar checking accounts and your mom can just send you a check Regular or Certified)… my partner parents live the US and they send money via check from there account the US…. With no problems at all
Old Mar 20th 2006, 7:47 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by celine_uk
K welcome to Canada man!

Im from England moved here 3 years ago, and thank god I didn’t close my English bank accounts when I moved to Canada (im 23 so was around your age to at the time) …….. It’s so much easier having a bank account in England for many reasons etc…. A bit of advice on using western union, you don’t really need to really…. Most Canadian bank allow you to open US dollar checking accounts and your mom can just send you a check Regular or Certified)… my partner parents live the US and they send money via check from there account the US…. With no problems at all

Ya, thanks for that information. I just noticed many bank in Canada have accounts in USD. I will most definitely be doing that. Thanks for your help.