Study Option...

Old Apr 1st 2010, 5:08 pm
Forum Regular

The Lost Paddy has a spectacular aura aboutThe Lost Paddy has a spectacular aura aboutThe Lost Paddy has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Study Option...

Originally Posted by lifeisajourney
By no means an expert, but if you can only get an offer letter relating to the first year bit then she'll only get a study permit for a year and your spouse open work permit will also be limited to a year. You can of course then do a 'I want to change my status' form from within Canada once you have an offer letter for the second year and request an extension on her study permit and your open work permit accordingly. But it'll be a timing issue and will cause you some level of stress and uncertainty. It would be better if you could manage to get the University to issue you with a letter offering her a place for the two years then you'd be sorted permit wise all round for the entire period in one swoop.

Just my opinion though - good luck!
Thanks for that mate, appreciate the advice.

I've called the Uni to see about the letter, they cannot do it however he has indicated that they would (depending on results & performance of course) offer her the second year of the other course next April, after the first semester ends (the course starts Jan 2011). As a result we should have plenty of time to amend her study visa, I'm just not sure how we would do this, however I'm sure we can find out, I'm just wondering if it's as easy for me to change my open work permit as well?!

Appreciate anyone able to give me a heads up on this one!
Old Apr 1st 2010, 7:41 pm
Forum Regular

lifeisajourney is a name known to alllifeisajourney is a name known to alllifeisajourney is a name known to alllifeisajourney is a name known to alllifeisajourney is a name known to alllifeisajourney is a name known to alllifeisajourney is a name known to alllifeisajourney is a name known to alllifeisajourney is a name known to alllifeisajourney is a name known to alllifeisajourney is a name known to all

Hi,

If they could offer her a place for the second year before the end of the first year then it would definitely reduce your stressing about timelines and deadlines.

Everything you need is on the CIC website, www.cic.gc.ca. Look under the 'study' section. Here you will find both how to apply for her study permit and under the 'work permits for students' section you'll find out about how to apply for your spouse open work permit.

Once she has the official offer letter for the second year you would then fill out the 'application to change, amend, remain in Canada'. It's one form that covers you both, i.e. both her extension to her study permit and your extension to your spouse open work permit.

Have a really good read of it all.

One important tip, make sure your passports have loads of validity left on them. They won't extend a study permit or work permit beyond the end date of your passport.

I hope that helps.
Old Apr 2nd 2010, 12:31 pm
Forum Regular

The Lost Paddy has a spectacular aura aboutThe Lost Paddy has a spectacular aura aboutThe Lost Paddy has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by lifeisajourney
Hi,

If they could offer her a place for the second year before the end of the first year then it would definitely reduce your stressing about timelines and deadlines.

Everything you need is on the CIC website, www.cic.gc.ca. Look under the 'study' section. Here you will find both how to apply for her study permit and under the 'work permits for students' section you'll find out about how to apply for your spouse open work permit.

Once she has the official offer letter for the second year you would then fill out the 'application to change, amend, remain in Canada'. It's one form that covers you both, i.e. both her extension to her study permit and your extension to your spouse open work permit.

Have a really good read of it all.

One important tip, make sure your passports have loads of validity left on them. They won't extend a study permit or work permit beyond the end date of your passport.

I hope that helps.

Your a star, really appreciate the info!
Old Apr 6th 2010, 2:46 pm
Just Joined

newjerseychick is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

great thread! I was looking into this route as well as OH applying for PR. The thread has answered so many questions I had.
One thought though .....You can do a Masters course part-time. This route is very cheap compared to what International students pay here. I would be looking at $3000 a year part-time at UBC to do a masters and could also work 20 hours.

In comparison my friend is here in the Uk as a student and her fees are 800 a month!

Ax

AHHHHHHHH stop that thought I just checked this and you need to be full-time oh well back to saving up very hard then lol

http://www.cic.gc.ca/EnGLIsh/pdf/kits/guides/5580E.PDF

Last edited by newjerseychick; Apr 6th 2010 at 2:50 pm.
Old Apr 6th 2010, 3:00 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by newjerseychick
One thought though .....You can do a Masters course part-time. This route is very cheap compared to what International students pay here. I would be looking at $3000 a year part-time at UBC to do a masters and could also work 20 hours.
You can only work on a study permit if it's a full-time course I believe. And don't forget you can't work at all for the first six months so need to factor that in to your calculations.

And are you sure the figures you're looking at are correct? You need to check the international rates for UBC as that's what you'd be paying on a study permit. It's just that my husband looked in to doing a masters at UBC and it was $30k a year, 10 times the figure you've mentioned!
Old Apr 6th 2010, 5:59 pm
BTJ
Occasionally Useful

BTJ is on a distinguished road

If you are lucky enough to be a Science nerd then for a research based MSc/PhD the university will pay you to do it (or at least in Physics they do). You get a research assistantship & teaching assistantship for being a tutor. After paying the rather minimal fees (tuition [reduced to local fees for a large number of universities I have looked at], healthcare etc) you are left with ~$16-18k p.a. depending on the university and whether it is a MSc or PhD, which is enough to satisfy the study permit and to bring your partner too!

Though it'd obviously be nice to have a little bit of savings to take with you (hence why I will be working next year in order to have some money for the both of us).

Of course this rather does depend on you having been one of a very small minority of people who did a BSc in a proper science and got a 1st (maybe a 2:1) in it, so hardly a solution for a great number of people.
Old Apr 6th 2010, 8:51 pm
Just Joined

newjerseychick is an unknown quantity at this point

This is the fees for full-time at UBC. Thhre are three installments a year...I was originally looking at part-time so they were a lot lower.

International (per instalment) $2,400.00

That works out at £1600 per installment = £4800 per year so really cheap compared to other countries.

This is for a Masters in Archive studies though which is what I want to do so maybe a lot cheaper than other Masters courses.

Hey BTJ you graduate the same time as me and are applying for the same start date as me ....Where are you thinking of going to Uni

Ax

Last edited by newjerseychick; Apr 6th 2010 at 8:54 pm.
Old Apr 6th 2010, 9:40 pm
BTJ
Occasionally Useful

BTJ is on a distinguished road

This is the fees for full-time at UBC. Thhre are three installments a year...I was originally looking at part-time so they were a lot lower.

That works out at £1600 per installment = £4800 per year so really cheap compared to other countries.

This is for a Masters in Archive studies though which is what I want to do so maybe a lot cheaper than other Masters courses.

Hey BTJ you graduate the same time as me and are applying for the same start date as me ....Where are you thinking of going to Uni

Ax
Hey! I'll be applying to UBC (woo! - this is my favourite choice), University of Victoria, SFU in Burnaby and possibly UAlberta in Edmonton, all for Physics MSc. Going to be visiting the first 3 campuses in June to talk to professors, look around etc.

Are you also taking a year out to work newjerseychick between graduation and the Masters? You applying any where else other than UBC?
Old Apr 15th 2010, 10:29 am
Forum Regular

Ax
Those prices aint bad at all!
Old Apr 16th 2010, 3:29 pm
Forum Regular

AndyBCbound is a jewel in the roughAndyBCbound is a jewel in the roughAndyBCbound is a jewel in the roughAndyBCbound is a jewel in the roughAndyBCbound is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by The Lost Paddy
Folks,

Hi, just a quick one if anyone can assist please?

Myself anf the OH are pretty much set on going across on the study option, now as a few on here have advised, a two year course is probably better for giving you the time to organise your PR etc (as I'll have a two year open work permit, hopefully plenty of time to ask an employer for the letter outlined in an above post etc).

Anyway, we found a course, 2 years, my fiance likes, thinks she will use etc after graduation, but just as we went to apply it went really quick to waitlist then closed (virtually every other course in the Uni is still open for applications, typical of our luck!!!).

Anyway, on calling the Uni they have informed us of another 1 year course that is identical to the other, now closed course, the first year of each is identical that is, we could then go into the second year of the original course we wanted (as this new course starts in Jan 2011, runs to August 2011, and you would go into the 2nd year of the other course in Sept 2011). This Jan 2011 start actually suits us better, gives us longer to save, prepare etc.

However...my question is how will this effect my open work permit?! How will I get my second year? Can she change courses or go into the second year of another course and I get a second year on my permit??!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
You could sign up for two one year courses, and have them run one after the other and submit both to cic for your two year permit, the beauty of this is you could effectively drop out of the second year if you got PR before the start of the second course and save your self tons, my wife by the way is tracywall
Old Apr 18th 2010, 4:40 pm
Forum Regular

buzzz is just really nicebuzzz is just really nicebuzzz is just really nicebuzzz is just really nicebuzzz is just really nicebuzzz is just really nicebuzzz is just really nicebuzzz is just really nice

My son spent a year on a bunac visa. Whilst there he has met a girl and they eventually moved in together but had only been co-habiting for 5 months before his visa ran out. Since he has been home she has come over for 2 visits but he is now looking into the study visa option. He has been provisionally accepted for a 2 year hospitality management course and is hoping that he can apply for a co habitation visa after 12 months. His dad and I are footing the bill and I am wondering if this will be acceptible to immigration when he has to prove he has the funds as he is 24. We feel it's an investment in his future now rather than hang on to it and leave it in our will!!!
Old May 24th 2010, 12:04 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by AndyBCbound
You could sign up for two one year courses, and have them run one after the other and submit both to cic for your two year permit, the beauty of this is you could effectively drop out of the second year if you got PR before the start of the second course and save your self tons, my wife by the way is tracywall
Brill! Thanks mate, and thanks to your wife for her advice on this thread too!
Old Jun 1st 2010, 9:56 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by buzzz
My son spent a year on a bunac visa. Whilst there he has met a girl and they eventually moved in together but had only been co-habiting for 5 months before his visa ran out. Since he has been home she has come over for 2 visits but he is now looking into the study visa option. He has been provisionally accepted for a 2 year hospitality management course and is hoping that he can apply for a co habitation visa after 12 months. His dad and I are footing the bill and I am wondering if this will be acceptible to immigration when he has to prove he has the funds as he is 24. We feel it's an investment in his future now rather than hang on to it and leave it in our will!!!
Best of luck!
Old Jun 1st 2010, 10:24 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by AndyBCbound
As soon as you get PR you no longer have to pay International fees. I got PR after the first year but finished the course as a local student.
Old Jun 10th 2010, 7:20 pm
Forum Regular

rodderzzz is a jewel in the roughrodderzzz is a jewel in the roughrodderzzz is a jewel in the roughrodderzzz is a jewel in the rough

Wondering if anybody could help me here. I sent off my application for a study visa last week. On the CIC website it says they will decide your case in 6 weeks, which is fine. Part of the application is you have to send off a self addressed envelope, I was hoping this was going to come back to me fairly quickly to say that they had received my application but Ive had nothing.

Can anybody who has applied before tell me the procedure as im worried that theyve lost my app or something! My course starts in September so dont want to hear nothing for 6 weeks, making it the middle of July, and then find out they lost it and have to start again!

Thanks in advance for any help

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.