Study Option...

Old Feb 17th 2010, 4:45 pm
Forum Regular

The Lost Paddy has a spectacular aura aboutThe Lost Paddy has a spectacular aura aboutThe Lost Paddy has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Study Option...

Originally Posted by pancakemeow
one of the cheapest universities in canada is memorial university. It's in Newfoundland though! This is what it says on the website:

You've come to the right place
Moving to a new country, a new part of the world you may never have heard of before, is a big deal.

This is going to be one adventure you'll never forget. At the end of the day, you should be concentrating on how great your program is, not how much money you need to find.

In Newfoundland and Labrador, the provincial government subsidizes tuition, which means that we can offer you one of the lowest international student tuition costs of any university in Canada.

Plus, when you compare the cost of living in our capital city, St. John's, to that of other capital cities, you'll be shocked to find how comfortably you can live on a budget here.
Still not far off $9k per year, not much different TBH with what we may have to pay in Toronto, but big thanks anyway for the heads up!
Old Feb 18th 2010, 1:38 am
Forum Regular

john5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nice

I have had similar thoughts but have not asked the university about it, didn't want their decision to accept me to be clouded by a potential drop in their income

but i have not read any official statement (and I have been to every nook and crannie of their website) that becoming PR does not allow a change of fee status

I don't think the link to health care coverage is valid (in BC it's 2-3 months only)

I am intending (if i get PR) to make the switch to being a local student
Old Feb 18th 2010, 1:42 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by john5655
I have had similar thoughts but have not asked the university about it, didn't want their decision to accept me to be clouded by a potential drop in their income

but i have not read any official statement (and I have been to every nook and crannie of their website) that becoming PR does not allow a change of fee status

I don't think the link to health care coverage is valid (in BC it's 2-3 months only)

A guy who was also an international student started uni at the same time as my daughter. He had family in Ontario which enabled him to become a PR and switch to resident fees.
Old Feb 18th 2010, 2:19 am
Forum Regular

john5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nice

thanks JerseyGirl, you made my day
Old Feb 18th 2010, 9:56 am
Forum Regular

The Lost Paddy has a spectacular aura aboutThe Lost Paddy has a spectacular aura aboutThe Lost Paddy has a spectacular aura about

Thanks for that mate, looks like then that it's possible to switch in the second year! Woudl make a big, big diffenence to the bank balance definitely! Cheers for the update.
Old Feb 18th 2010, 9:58 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
A guy who was also an international student started uni at the same time as my daughter. He had family in Ontario which enabled him to become a PR and switch to resident fees.
Thats just made our day too, thanks!!!
Old Feb 18th 2010, 5:07 pm
Forum Regular

Tracywall has a brilliant futureTracywall has a brilliant futureTracywall has a brilliant futureTracywall has a brilliant futureTracywall has a brilliant futureTracywall has a brilliant futureTracywall has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by The Lost Paddy
The bit highlighted above, just wondering, if you dont mind answering, how you prove that? What do they want off you to prove your willing to leave?

Many thanks once again!!!
Hi there,

Sorry for delay... We were really concerned over this issue as well and what we did (which wasn't ideal) was rented our house out in the UK until we got PR (1 year) that way we could prove our tie to the UK as we still had a house there. Having family in the UK isn't enough. We also got letters from our employers confirming that they would re-employ us should we be unsuccessful in getting permanent residency. We already had an application submitted to London for Permanent Residency (did that January of 2008). When we applied for our Study Permit and work Permit we had to disclose this to them.

Hopefully this helps

Tracy
Old Feb 18th 2010, 5:26 pm
Forum Regular

Tracywall has a brilliant futureTracywall has a brilliant futureTracywall has a brilliant futureTracywall has a brilliant futureTracywall has a brilliant futureTracywall has a brilliant futureTracywall has a brilliant future

My advice would be to try and find a University where fees are as expensive as others... we chose Thompson Rivers University in Kamloops.... you don't always have to pay international student fees... this is what we did.

My Husband was registered to start a 2 year business diploma course in September 2008, we applied for our study permits in May 2008, we didn't get the permits until end of August I think so we contacted the university advised them the permits had been held up and we wouldn't be arriving in Canada until October. They confirmed he could start his course in January 2009. However, as he had been out of school for 3 years, he had to do some refresher tests, one was a math accuplacer and the other was an English test.

We were concerned about paying international student fees, I think we had paid $7k for the first semester and there are three semesters to the year. So we decided that we would try and delay for as long as possible him starting at the university and in the meantime apply for PR. So we arrived in October 2008, I started work immediately and applied for PR in December 2008, my husband met with the careers lady at the University and said that he had changed his mind that he didn't want to do the business course now and that he was interested in doing one of the trade courses instead. They advised the trade courses were only open to residents of Canada. He advised that we were apply for PR and there was a good chance that he may be a resident BEFORE the course was FINISHED. They said that he needed to sit his tests first and then take it from there. He did is Math test in January, failed, had to have some math tuition (about $4k) this was all to delay remember, re-sat it in April and passed and did his English test in April too and passed which meant he was now ready to start the course of his choice. We had already heard from London with regards residency and were at the medical stage so we advised the university and they said they would be willing to accept him on the trade course but that he would still be charged international fees until he became a resident at which time he would be switched to regular fees.

He started the course in July (that is when the course starts) at which time we had become a resident and actually got a refund from the University as we had already paid $7k to them. We didn't end up paying any international student fees. My husband since got a job (September of 2009) carried on with his course and that finishes in March of this year at which time he will be awarded a 2 year apprenticeship in Carpentry.

There are ways around the system but it is a risk. Thankfully for us it worked out but it could quite easily have gone the other way.

Hope this helps those of you who are thinking of coming in on the study route.

Also, is there still the BUNAC route you could come in on and apply for residency whilst here. I believe (my understanding of the rules) is that so long as you are in canada legally and you meet all the requirements in the points side of things and you have a job you can apply under Category 2... I may be wrong though... the rules may have changed since we did this.

Old Feb 19th 2010, 9:31 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Tracywall
Hi there,

Sorry for delay... We were really concerned over this issue as well and what we did (which wasn't ideal) was rented our house out in the UK until we got PR (1 year) that way we could prove our tie to the UK as we still had a house there. Having family in the UK isn't enough. We also got letters from our employers confirming that they would re-employ us should we be unsuccessful in getting permanent residency. We already had an application submitted to London for Permanent Residency (did that January of 2008). When we applied for our Study Permit and work Permit we had to disclose this to them.

Hopefully this helps

Tracy
Many thanks Tracey, that's interesting!
Unfortunately for us, we dont have a house, no chance my employer will give me a letter, I'm sure he will not be happy when I tell him eventually I'm leaving, my OH is self employer so I dont think she has much hope either!

I guess all we could do is try and speak with the consulate first and try and discuss this issue while we are applying for the visa first, if there is a chance we wont get in then we will not go down this route at all, it's a bit rediculous but there you go I suppose, only good thing is we will not be applying for PR before we go across as I'm going to take your advice on the letter from the employer, apply for PR a couple of months after we land, I guess if we just have a student visa only that may be better for us in this case (fingers ),
Old Feb 19th 2010, 9:32 am
Forum Regular

My advice would be to try and find a University where fees are as expensive as others... we chose Thompson Rivers University in Kamloops.... you don't always have to pay international student fees... this is what we did.

My Husband was registered to start a 2 year business diploma course in September 2008, we applied for our study permits in May 2008, we didn't get the permits until end of August I think so we contacted the university advised them the permits had been held up and we wouldn't be arriving in Canada until October. They confirmed he could start his course in January 2009. However, as he had been out of school for 3 years, he had to do some refresher tests, one was a math accuplacer and the other was an English test.

We were concerned about paying international student fees, I think we had paid $7k for the first semester and there are three semesters to the year. So we decided that we would try and delay for as long as possible him starting at the university and in the meantime apply for PR. So we arrived in October 2008, I started work immediately and applied for PR in December 2008, my husband met with the careers lady at the University and said that he had changed his mind that he didn't want to do the business course now and that he was interested in doing one of the trade courses instead. They advised the trade courses were only open to residents of Canada. He advised that we were apply for PR and there was a good chance that he may be a resident BEFORE the course was FINISHED. They said that he needed to sit his tests first and then take it from there. He did is Math test in January, failed, had to have some math tuition (about $4k) this was all to delay remember, re-sat it in April and passed and did his English test in April too and passed which meant he was now ready to start the course of his choice. We had already heard from London with regards residency and were at the medical stage so we advised the university and they said they would be willing to accept him on the trade course but that he would still be charged international fees until he became a resident at which time he would be switched to regular fees.

He started the course in July (that is when the course starts) at which time we had become a resident and actually got a refund from the University as we had already paid $7k to them. We didn't end up paying any international student fees. My husband since got a job (September of 2009) carried on with his course and that finishes in March of this year at which time he will be awarded a 2 year apprenticeship in Carpentry.

There are ways around the system but it is a risk. Thankfully for us it worked out but it could quite easily have gone the other way.

Hope this helps those of you who are thinking of coming in on the study route.

Also, is there still the BUNAC route you could come in on and apply for residency whilst here. I believe (my understanding of the rules) is that so long as you are in canada legally and you meet all the requirements in the points side of things and you have a job you can apply under Category 2... I may be wrong though... the rules may have changed since we did this.

Now that's really interesting!!!
Old Feb 20th 2010, 10:19 am
Just Joined

LadySummer is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, great post.
I'm looking to start a 2 year part-time (online and inclass) business admin course, do you think this would qualify for a study visa?
thanks Donna
Old Feb 21st 2010, 12:28 am
Forum Regular

OP 12 has this to say

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resourc...p/op12-eng.pdf

5.9. Distance learning
Distance learning can be telelearning, correspondence, or internet courses.
A study permit is a written authorization to engage in studies in Canada and CIC's understanding of a student is a person authorized to engage in studies in Canada [R1]. Since by definition distance learning does not require one to be in Canada, a study permit cannot be issued for this type of course. A foreign national in Canada should not be penalized for studying under distance-learning arrangements. For example, if they are prohibited from engaging in studies as per a condition of their work permit, they are allowed to engage in distance-learning courses.
Some distance-learning courses of study include an in-Canada portion to the program (e.g., special tutorials or writing final exams). If the overall course of study is greater than six months, then the student requires a study permit for the in-Canada portion of the program, even if the in- Canada portion is less than six months. (See section 5.5, above, for course or program of study.) The duration of the study permit should be for the duration of the in-Canada portion only.

5.10. Part-time studies
The Regulations make no special mention of part-time versus full-time studies. Pursuant to the Act, Regulations and this chapter, a student requires a study permit whether or not their studies are on a full-time or part-time basis. There are no minimum hours of study required of a study- permit holder to satisfy the conditions of their study permit, unless otherwise indicated in the study permit's conditions; R185(c)(iv) allows an officer to impose the times and periods of the studies.
Note: Foreign students who are studying part-time are not eligible to work on or off campus.
Old Feb 25th 2010, 10:11 am
Forum Regular

Many thanks for that mate, I'll have a read through that just now!
Old Mar 29th 2010, 8:02 pm
Forum Regular

Folks,

Hi, just a quick one if anyone can assist please?

Myself anf the OH are pretty much set on going across on the study option, now as a few on here have advised, a two year course is probably better for giving you the time to organise your PR etc (as I'll have a two year open work permit, hopefully plenty of time to ask an employer for the letter outlined in an above post etc).

Anyway, we found a course, 2 years, my fiance likes, thinks she will use etc after graduation, but just as we went to apply it went really quick to waitlist then closed (virtually every other course in the Uni is still open for applications, typical of our luck!!!).

Anyway, on calling the Uni they have informed us of another 1 year course that is identical to the other, now closed course, the first year of each is identical that is, we could then go into the second year of the original course we wanted (as this new course starts in Jan 2011, runs to August 2011, and you would go into the 2nd year of the other course in Sept 2011). This Jan 2011 start actually suits us better, gives us longer to save, prepare etc.

However...my question is how will this effect my open work permit?! How will I get my second year? Can she change courses or go into the second year of another course and I get a second year on my permit??!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Old Mar 29th 2010, 8:42 pm
Forum Regular

lifeisajourney is a name known to alllifeisajourney is a name known to alllifeisajourney is a name known to alllifeisajourney is a name known to alllifeisajourney is a name known to alllifeisajourney is a name known to alllifeisajourney is a name known to alllifeisajourney is a name known to alllifeisajourney is a name known to alllifeisajourney is a name known to alllifeisajourney is a name known to all

By no means an expert, but if you can only get an offer letter relating to the first year bit then she'll only get a study permit for a year and your spouse open work permit will also be limited to a year. You can of course then do a 'I want to change my status' form from within Canada once you have an offer letter for the second year and request an extension on her study permit and your open work permit accordingly. But it'll be a timing issue and will cause you some level of stress and uncertainty. It would be better if you could manage to get the University to issue you with a letter offering her a place for the two years then you'd be sorted permit wise all round for the entire period in one swoop.

Just my opinion though - good luck!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.