Study Option...

Old Feb 12th 2010, 12:54 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Study Option...

Sounds interesting to me too actually.
Old Feb 12th 2010, 4:34 pm
Forum Regular

lifeisajourney is a name known to alllifeisajourney is a name known to alllifeisajourney is a name known to alllifeisajourney is a name known to alllifeisajourney is a name known to alllifeisajourney is a name known to alllifeisajourney is a name known to alllifeisajourney is a name known to alllifeisajourney is a name known to alllifeisajourney is a name known to alllifeisajourney is a name known to all

Can't help with the cheap study options, but here are the permit options:

Study permit for 2 years, followed by post grad work permit for 2 years, one year into Post Grad work permit apply for PR through Canadian Experience class, hopefully sorted in time.

During all this time spouse will have right to be in Canada on an Open work permit. Initially tagging onto the study permit and after tagging on to the work permit.

You have to really be committed to being here and to one of you studying hard and for a decent amount of time for it to be a useful option though.
Old Feb 12th 2010, 10:37 pm
Forum Regular

Tracywall has a brilliant futureTracywall has a brilliant futureTracywall has a brilliant futureTracywall has a brilliant futureTracywall has a brilliant futureTracywall has a brilliant futureTracywall has a brilliant future

We came over on a study permit... the rules have changed since then I think.

If you have 67 points already and the person who isn't going to have the study permit (i.e your spouse) has work experience in one of the jobs in category O A or B of the Noc list then this may be a viable option for you.

What you would do is apply for a study permit (for a 2 year course) your partner would apply for an open work permit at the same time. Once in Canada your spouse needs to get a job that is in a position in category O A or B (obviously choose who is the best employable and has the most points and have them as the lead applicant on the residency application). Once you have received a couple of paychecks from your employer, explain to them that you want to apply for residency and in order to do that they need to give you a letter stating that they will convert your temporary employment to employment on an inderterminate basis upon residency being granted. It is imperative you have that wording in the letter. Once you have that from your employer and a couple of pay checks, you can apply for residency under Category 2 since you will fall into the category "Arranged Employment"... see Factor 5 of the Application Guide for confirmation of the above.

Be aware though that student fees are high. Residency once submitted will take approximately 6 to 12 months so you won't necessarily need to do the uni course for the 2 years... you need to feel comfortable that you can afford to live here for the 2 years though and need to be able to prove you have the funds to support yourself for the duration of the course in order to get the study permit and that you will be willing to leave the country at the end of the study period.

It is a very straight forward way of getting into Canada. I know another couple who are using this route at present although they have been here for more than a year studying so are applying via Category 3. We applied via Category 2 and became residents in July of 2009 (applied for residency in December 2008).

Feel free to PM me if you require any further information/clarification.
Old Feb 13th 2010, 3:06 pm
Forum Regular

The Lost Paddy has a spectacular aura aboutThe Lost Paddy has a spectacular aura aboutThe Lost Paddy has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Tracywall

If you have 67 points already and the person who isn't going to have the study permit (i.e your spouse) has work experience in one of the jobs in category O A or B of the Noc list then this may be a viable option for you.

What you would do is apply for a study permit (for a 2 year course) your partner would apply for an open work permit at the same time. Once in Canada your spouse needs to get a job that is in a position in category O A or B (obviously choose who is the best employable and has the most points and have them as the lead applicant on the residency application). Once you have received a couple of paychecks from your employer, explain to them that you want to apply for residency and in order to do that they need to give you a letter stating that they will convert your temporary employment to employment on an inderterminate basis upon residency being granted. It is imperative you have that wording in the letter. Once you have that from your employer and a couple of pay checks, you can apply for residency under Category 2 since you will fall into the category "Arranged Employment"... see Factor 5 of the Application Guide for confirmation of the above.

Be aware though that student fees are high. Residency once submitted will take approximately 6 to 12 months so you won't necessarily need to do the uni course for the 2 years... you need to feel comfortable that you can afford to live here for the 2 years though and need to be able to prove you have the funds to support yourself for the duration of the course in order to get the study permit and that you will be willing to leave the country at the end of the study period.

It is a very straight forward way of getting into Canada. I know another couple who are using this route at present although they have been here for more than a year studying so are applying via Category 3. We applied via Category 2 and became residents in July of 2009 (applied for residency in December 2008).

Hi, really appreciate the information, thanks so much!

Just wondering if 0611 Sales, Marketing and Advertising Managers would suffice? It looks like Im in 'O' by this description in the matrix above you provided.

061 Sales, Marketing and Advertising
Managers.

It's my partner that will study, I think I'm quite close to, or @ the 67 points total myself anyway, plus I would far prefer to work anyway.

I'll do a bit of digging and if you dont mind will PM you once I know a bit more, thanks again!

Last edited by The Lost Paddy; Feb 13th 2010 at 3:10 pm.
Old Feb 15th 2010, 11:24 am
Forum Regular

The Lost Paddy has a spectacular aura aboutThe Lost Paddy has a spectacular aura aboutThe Lost Paddy has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Tracywall

The bit highlighted above, just wondering, if you dont mind answering, how you prove that? What do they want off you to prove your willing to leave?

Many thanks once again!!!
Old Feb 16th 2010, 12:41 am
Forum Regular

john5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nice

that is the million dollar question!

it's easier to see the answer if you think about the average student going to a Canadian university at the age of 18, he/she'll have no money, rely on parents back home for finances, have no ties or relatives in Canada (perhaps), and will be able to use those facts to prove an intention to leave Canada once the study permit ends (but any way you look at things it's a very subjective concept)

at the end of the day they don't want anyone disappearing into the underground economy

but then there's the concept of "Dual Intent", someone going to study whilst at the same time having a PR visa processed (like me)

at the moment I have no idea if my argument will be accepted, but I am telling them my true intentions

it would help your understanding if you read through these

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resourc...p/op12-eng.pdf

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resourc...2009/ob131.asp

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resourc...2008/ob058.asp

please feel free to PM me if you want more specifics
Old Feb 16th 2010, 5:17 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by john5655
that is the million dollar question!

it's easier to see the answer if you think about the average student going to a Canadian university at the age of 18, he/she'll have no money, rely on parents back home for finances, have no ties or relatives in Canada (perhaps), and will be able to use those facts to prove an intention to leave Canada once the study permit ends (but any way you look at things it's a very subjective concept)

at the end of the day they don't want anyone disappearing into the underground economy

but then there's the concept of "Dual Intent", someone going to study whilst at the same time having a PR visa processed (like me)

at the moment I have no idea if my argument will be accepted, but I am telling them my true intentions

it would help your understanding if you read through these

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resourc...p/op12-eng.pdf

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resourc...2009/ob131.asp

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resourc...2008/ob058.asp

please feel free to PM me if you want more specifics

Much appreciated!

We have spoken with the college/Uni today about the course, and will get the application filled out this weekend, it seems like she will get on the course no bother, or rather, without much bother, but I'm wondering, where do you check if the course you are going to study is approved for the student visa? Once we know that I'll come back to you if you do not mind and folow up on this specific issue, but without going into detail do you think it would be better to say nothing at the point of entry about our intention of me applying for PR in the fashion outlined above in Traceywall's post?

Cheers again folks for all the advice!
Old Feb 17th 2010, 12:20 am
Forum Regular

john5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nice

TLP

firstly, there's no list of approved courses, all you have to do is show you or your partner are a bona fide student

if you are going to attend a state funded college or university you will have to go through this kind of proof anyway

if you have not yet applied for PR, then I agree, no need to mention this

but if you have, like me, then this will show up on their database and you have to make a declaration as part of the application stating if you have made any other application for a Canadian visa in the past
Old Feb 17th 2010, 2:22 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by john5655
TLP

firstly, there's no list of approved courses, all you have to do is show you or your partner are a bona fide student

if you are going to attend a state funded college or university you will have to go through this kind of proof anyway

if you have not yet applied for PR, then I agree, no need to mention this

but if you have, like me, then this will show up on their database and you have to make a declaration as part of the application stating if you have made any other application for a Canadian visa in the past
Cheers John, appreciate the reply!

Just wondering if you or anyone else can answer this query, was thinking last night of this possible scenario, if we apply for the course, get on it, it's aproved and we get the student visa...if I start work and do as suggested above, approach my employer after a couple of pay cheques for the letter, get this, apply for PR and hopefully get it inside a year...WOULD we have to pay the full international fees in the second year if I/we had PR at that stage?!

Many thanks folks.
Old Feb 17th 2010, 2:35 pm
Forum Regular

lifeisajourney is a name known to alllifeisajourney is a name known to alllifeisajourney is a name known to alllifeisajourney is a name known to alllifeisajourney is a name known to alllifeisajourney is a name known to alllifeisajourney is a name known to alllifeisajourney is a name known to alllifeisajourney is a name known to alllifeisajourney is a name known to alllifeisajourney is a name known to all

I think most Universities have a specific line about this somewhere in their documentation about this. It may be that if you are an international student at the beginning of the course then what happens PR wise later won't affect the type of fees that you pay for the duration of the course.

Essentially the University/College makes a LOT of money from International students and they'll be keen not to lose out on that money.

It's always worth asking the specific question to the Uni/College, but brace yourself for international fees for the entire course.

We kept very quiet when my OH was initially billed as a domestic student, but after a month or so someone in accounting spotted the error and we got billed for the full international amount - bummer!
Old Feb 17th 2010, 2:39 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Lost Paddy
Cheers John, appreciate the reply!

Just wondering if you or anyone else can answer this query, was thinking last night of this possible scenario, if we apply for the course, get on it, it's aproved and we get the student visa...if I start work and do as suggested above, approach my employer after a couple of pay cheques for the letter, get this, apply for PR and hopefully get it inside a year...WOULD we have to pay the full international fees in the second year if I/we had PR at that stage?!

Many thanks folks.

In Ontario I think you have to be a PR for 6 months before you are entitled to benefits like healthcare and education...I don't know about other provinces. If so that would pretty much eat into most of your second year at uni.
Old Feb 17th 2010, 2:41 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by lifeisajourney
I think most Universities have a specific line about this somewhere in their documentation about this. It may be that if you are an international student at the beginning of the course then what happens PR wise later won't affect the type of fees that you pay for the duration of the course.

Essentially the University/College makes a LOT of money from International students and they'll be keen not to lose out on that money.

It's always worth asking the specific question to the Uni/College, but brace yourself for international fees for the entire course.

We kept very quiet when my OH was initially billed as a domestic student, but after a month or so someone in accounting spotted the error and we got billed for the full international amount - bummer!
Aaaaw! Would have been magic if ya got away with that!

The course we are looking at is $9,995 per year (and is two years in duration) yet the fees in total if we were PR or citizens are $3,500 total ,for both years combined!!! Ah well, if it gets us in we dont really mind, and it's a qualification the OH can use so it's not too bad to be fair!
Old Feb 17th 2010, 2:43 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
In Ontario I think you have to be a PR for 6 months before you are entitled to benefits like healthcare and education...I don't know about other provinces. If so that would pretty much eat into most of your second year at uni.
Ya, that's true, thanks for the info anyway, it's not going to stop us in any way but it would have been a nice bonus if we had the second year at a reduced price!
Old Feb 17th 2010, 2:50 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Lost Paddy
Ya, that's true, thanks for the info anyway, it's not going to stop us in any way but it would have been a nice bonus if we had the second year at a reduced price!
Crikey, this adventure is going to cost you a fortune
Old Feb 17th 2010, 4:04 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by el_richo
Crikey, this adventure is going to cost you a fortune
Yes, most likely, well, at least £10k sterling in fees to start with, but we both agreed that if we are to go down this route then we might as well get a course that she can use and get value out of. It's tough alright but I cant see any other way of getting across quickly with the current situation, and I'm not on the List so that's out too!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.