Study Option...

Old Feb 10th 2010, 1:29 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Study Option...

Originally Posted by christmasoompa

Plus do read up on the requirements for the institution she'd be studying at, it has to be a certain level so make sure it meets the requirements.
Can it be a community college-type place or does it need to be an accredited university?
Old Feb 10th 2010, 1:29 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost
Just out of interest, do you know much a Masters or nursing type-course usually costs on average over there? (Mainly Ontario).
I only know what UBC charge for a masters, my husband briefly looked in to it and then changed his mind pretty quickly when he saw it was approx $30k a year just for tuition! But I know that people have managed to do it much, much cheaper (i.e. if they go to a local community college rather than big uni).

Old Feb 10th 2010, 1:30 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

I'm thinking that community college grads may not be eligible for this program though, right?

I've had a look around on google and for BC and ON it seems to average around CAD$5-14k for a PG course.
Old Feb 10th 2010, 1:32 pm
Forum Regular

The Lost Paddy has a spectacular aura aboutThe Lost Paddy has a spectacular aura aboutThe Lost Paddy has a spectacular aura about

She can apply (and you would be included on that application anyway) after a year of studying full-time in Canada, but do double check that she'll meet all the other requirements i.e. the minimum points score of 67 and the proof of funds. Assuming that she does she can then apply as a Skilled Worker under category 3 and would get PR within 6-12 months if processing times stay about the same.

Plus do read up on the requirements for the institution she'd be studying at, it has to be a certain level so make sure it meets the requirements.

Good luck.
One more question and that's it, I promise!

I probably have a higher points score than her, combined we are definitely over the 67 from the tests we have done online (thought these are not official of course).

As a result would the PR be done for herself only? Would they take myself into account at all? And is there anywhere we could check before we commit to this course of action regard getting PR, for as stated, it's just a means to an end (the college course) to us getting PR.

Actually, that is three questions, my apologies!
Old Feb 10th 2010, 1:35 pm
Sidecar Falcon

Are you talking about a points test to get the initial student/OWA visa or for the PR after the course has finished? (Sorry, I'm asking for myself now).
Old Feb 10th 2010, 1:37 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Lost Paddy
As a result would the PR be done for herself only? Would they take myself into account at all?
Your education would count towards her points, but the PR would be for both of you. She would apply, but you'd be on her application and if all went well, you'd both be granted PR.

Originally Posted by The Lost Paddy
And is there anywhere we could check before we commit to this course of action regard getting PR, for as stated, it's just a means to an end (the college course) to us getting PR.
Just check the CIC website which tells you all you need to know. You would be applying under category 3 of a Federal Skilled Worker appliction, so that's what you need to read up on.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Feb 10th 2010 at 1:40 pm.
Old Feb 10th 2010, 1:40 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Are you talking about a points test to get the initial student/OWA visa or for the PR after the course has finished? (Sorry, I'm asking for myself now).
For PR. There's no points score to get a study permit, but to apply as a Skilled Worker you need at least 67 points, so that needs to be checked as otherwise you wouldn't be eligible even if you'd been in Canada on a study permit for the year.

And in answer to your other question, I think that community colleges are fine, but you'd need to double check with CIC whether or not you can get a study permit for a community college course.

Old Feb 10th 2010, 1:43 pm
Sidecar Falcon

Would it be safe to assume that if you could get a study permit from overseas for an institution though then you would be able to move to the skilled worker class from that qualification afterwards?

Also, could the skilled worker/PR application be submitted with the non-student as the primary applicant if that meant that the points requirement would be met or does the student need to be the primary applicant on the points assessment?
Old Feb 10th 2010, 2:30 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Would it be safe to assume that if you could get a study permit from overseas for an institution though then you would be able to move to the skilled worker class from that qualification afterwards?
I wouldn't have said it's 'safe' (is there any such thing when it comes to immigration law?!?), but it's certainly a route available to anybody now assuming they meet all the requirements, etc, etc. Whether it's a route that's available to somebody that applies in a couple of years time is something that nobody can tell you, things may change between now and then. But if nothing changes, then anybody that has been in Canada for at least one year on a study permit can apply as a skilled worker (again, meeting requirements, etc, etc).

Also, could the skilled worker/PR application be submitted with the non-student as the primary applicant if that meant that the points requirement would be met or does the student need to be the primary applicant on the points assessment?
No, the person with the years studying in Canada must be the primary applicant. However, under cat 3, people on temp work visas who have worked in Canada for a year full-time can also apply so potentially a spouse/partner could apply if they've worked for a year whilst other has been studying.

Old Feb 10th 2010, 2:56 pm
Forum Regular

The Lost Paddy has a spectacular aura aboutThe Lost Paddy has a spectacular aura aboutThe Lost Paddy has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by el_richo
$12k costs? Does that include fees AND the additional requirements to show you can support yourselves each year? Seems a little on the low side to me.
That's just fees mate, I'm not sure what else we would have to display, but I'm sure we could manage on one salary for the year or two if required, and if my gf can work after 6 months then we are in even better shape.
Old Feb 10th 2010, 2:59 pm
Sidecar Falcon

I think you need to provide evidence of funds available to cover yourselves for the year in order to get the permit though.
Old Feb 10th 2010, 3:03 pm
Forum Regular

Your education would count towards her points, but the PR would be for both of you. She would apply, but you'd be on her application and if all went well, you'd both be granted PR.

Just check the CIC website which tells you all you need to know. You would be applying under category 3 of a Federal Skilled Worker appliction, so that's what you need to read up on.

Really appreciate that again, many thanks!
Old Feb 10th 2010, 3:05 pm
Forum Regular

I think you need to provide evidence of funds available to cover yourselves for the year in order to get the permit though.
I reckon we could manage that ok, we have decent savings so could display the required sum I'm sure, once across if I can secure work fairly quickly then we will be ok definitely.

I'll keep you up to date on courses etc, and if you find anything that is viable and is accepted for the visa, but is cheaper than $10,000 please let me know mate!
Old Feb 10th 2010, 3:06 pm
Sidecar Falcon

No, of course I will. Ideally in our case it would be best if my OH could do a nursing course or something similar there as nurses are eligible for FSW anyway.
Old Feb 10th 2010, 3:12 pm
Forum Regular

No, of course I will. Ideally in our case it would be best if my OH could do a nursing course or something similar there as nurses are eligible for FSW anyway.
I've been looking on here...
http://www.ontariocolleges.ca/portal...OL/FindProgram

But every course I can find is over $10k for international students. The website above is a government website, so the courses meet the criteria for the visa...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.