Study Option...

Old Feb 10th 2010, 12:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Strawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Study Option...

Originally Posted by The Lost Paddy
How so?! Would be really interested for your take on that please!
mmmm me too, as although we are in early stages of a different route, we are also looking at the possibility of me returning to study!!
Old Feb 10th 2010, 12:57 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, the circa $12,000 per year is a lot, specially as it's a means to an end, but I'm sure I could support us poth for the couple of years, and my partner can work after 6 months too I believe, so it may not be too bad...unless you know of additional costs I've not thought of?!
She can work part-time off campus after those six months, but you need to apply for it seperately and I'm not sure of the process involved.

I've looked at long term study in North America before for myself and even in Canada, as opposed to the US, you can be looking at a requirement of £20k+ a year and they won't take potential earnings by you or your partner into account and when processing the initial application.

One of gf's best friends studied in Toronto and then found it very difficult to move on any other type of visa when her course had finished, although granted nowhere near as difficult as it would be for someone trying to do the same thing in Britain or America. Eventually, she ended up staying as a common law partner of her boyfriend (a naturalized Canadian citizen of UK birth) but there doesn't seem to be any guarantee of leave to remain after your study permit has ended.
Old Feb 10th 2010, 1:05 pm
Forum Regular

The Lost Paddy has a spectacular aura aboutThe Lost Paddy has a spectacular aura aboutThe Lost Paddy has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost
She can work part-time off campus after those six months, but you need to apply for it seperately and I'm not sure of the process involved.

I've looked at long term study in North America before for myself and even in Canada, as opposed to the US, you can be looking at a requirement of £20k+ a year and they won't take potential earnings by you or your partner into account and when processing the initial application.

One of gf's best friends studied in Toronto and then found it very difficult to move on any other type of visa when her course had finished, although granted nowhere near as difficult as it would be for someone trying to do the same thing in Britain or America. Eventually, she ended up staying as a common law partner of her boyfriend (a naturalized Canadian citizen of UK birth) but there doesn't seem to be any guarantee of leave to remain after your study permit has ended.

Ooooh right! There was me thinking that it was an easy step for me to move onto a more permanent type of visa!

I suppose if she got a 2 year course, and I was working with a company for that time I could try and work on them for sponsorship, but it's a risky strategy definitely from what your saying! Appreciate your input, really much, guess it's back to the drawing board once again!!!
Old Feb 10th 2010, 1:10 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Just to point out that your friend may have tried to do this before November 2008, when the system was changed.

Since then, anybody who has spent a year on a study permit in Canada can apply for a Skilled Worker visa (assuming they meet the points requirement, etc). So it's now much easier for people to convert a years study in to Permanent Residency.

OP - a 2 year course is a good recommendation, that way your gf can apply for PR as a SW after a year there, and hopefully have it through in good time before her course finishes.

Money can be a stumbling block, but it can be done much cheaper than the figures quoted in this thread, depending on the course and institution of course.

Good luck.
Old Feb 10th 2010, 1:10 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

No worries mate, it is difficult I know, I looked into being an international student for a long time myself but it's only really ever a possibility if you have a lot of disposable capital behind you and are willing to accept that it may not ever lead to anything long term.

My own girlfriend is an international student and she still worries whenever we go on holiday and she has to come back even though she has never once violated any of the rules of the system, people on student visas probably face more regular scrutiny now than migrants in any other category.
Old Feb 10th 2010, 1:12 pm
Sidecar Falcon

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Just to point out that your friend may have tried to do this before November 2008, when the system was changed.
If it helps, I think that she did, also I'm not too sure how things on her course went. She's actually one of my gf's old childhood friends but they remain regular contact. I've never actually spoken to her.

Those changes to the system which you mentioned do sound particularly interesting actually and I think we could possibly look at those as an option if we could find a reasonably priced institution.
Old Feb 10th 2010, 1:14 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

If it helps, I think that she did, also I'm not too sure how things on her course went. She's actually one of my gf's old childhood friends but they remain regular contact. I've never actually spoken to her.
I guess that was the case. Things are very different now and it's relatively easy for anybody to get PR via studying in Canada.
Old Feb 10th 2010, 1:16 pm
Sidecar Falcon

I guess that was the case. Things are very different now and it's relatively easy for anybody to get PR via studying in Canada.
It's so strange really, every other country seems to be going the other way at the moment. It's good to see that Canada actually wants to keep hold of it's more highly qualified migrants especially since international students to pour a lot into a local economy. Here in Manchester, they pretty much keep the universities afloat and I think the changes made by the BIA are having a serious negative impact on budgets.

Just out of interest, do you know much a Masters or nursing type-course usually costs on average over there? (Mainly Ontario).

Last edited by DigitalGhost; Feb 10th 2010 at 1:23 pm.
Old Feb 10th 2010, 1:22 pm
Forum Regular

The Lost Paddy has a spectacular aura aboutThe Lost Paddy has a spectacular aura aboutThe Lost Paddy has a spectacular aura about

Since then, anybody who has spent a year on a study permit in Canada can apply for a Skilled Worker visa (assuming they meet the points requirement, etc). So it's now much easier for people to convert a years study in to Permanent Residency.

OP - a 2 year course is a good recommendation, that way your gf can apply for PR as a SW after a year there, and hopefully have it through in good time before her course finishes.

Money can be a stumbling block, but it can be done much cheaper than the figures quoted in this thread, depending on the course and institution of course.

Good luck.
Many, many thanks for that, that is excellent news!

So by your estimation she can apply for PR herself then? And if you dont mind me asking, what about myself? If I'm on that open work visa can I apply as well after the year for PR?

Cheers again!
Old Feb 10th 2010, 1:23 pm
Sidecar Falcon

Many, many thanks for that, that is excellent news!

So by your estimation she can apply for PR herself then? And if you dont mind me asking, what about myself? If I'm on that open work visa can I apply as well after the year for PR?

Cheers again!
Yes, as a common law or spouse you could be included on her application, especially if you are living together already.
Old Feb 10th 2010, 1:24 pm
Forum Regular

That is a cracking bit of news, really appreciate it!
Old Feb 10th 2010, 1:25 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, the circa $12,000 per year is a lot, specially as it's a means to an end, but I'm sure I could support us poth for the couple of years, and my partner can work after 6 months too I believe, so it may not be too bad...unless you know of additional costs I've not thought of?!
$12k costs? Does that include fees AND the additional requirements to show you can support yourselves each year? Seems a little on the low side to me.
Old Feb 10th 2010, 1:26 pm
Sidecar Falcon

You and me both mate, he's got me looking into the average tuition costs now.
Old Feb 10th 2010, 1:27 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Cheers again!
She can apply (and you would be included on that application anyway) after a year of studying full-time in Canada, but do double check that she'll meet all the other requirements i.e. the minimum points score of 67 and the proof of funds. Assuming that she does she can then apply as a Skilled Worker under category 3 and would get PR within 6-12 months if processing times stay about the same.

Plus do read up on the requirements for the institution she'd be studying at, it has to be a certain level so make sure it meets the requirements.

Good luck.
Old Feb 10th 2010, 1:28 pm
Forum Regular

Yes, as a common law or spouse you could be included on her application, especially if you are living together already.
Cheers mate, we have bee together almost 8 years, we are strongly considering getting married in Canada, anyway, that's beside the point! We have ample proof of living together for years, will live together in Toronto if we can get across, so it looks like I can apply myself for PR too if what I've been previously told holds true!!!

Great bit of news this, cheers to everyone again for the input!

Now!!! To find a nice cheap course that is approved for the visa!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.