Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

To study in Canada and maintain status

To study in Canada and maintain status

Old Aug 18th 2004, 1:52 pm
Forum Regular

cheersnparty is an unknown quantity at this point
Default To study in Canada and maintain status

Hello Experts,

I came to study Post Graduate certification program from community college and after graduating i got my post-graduate work permit, which is soon going to expire. After that i am planning to put my immigration file and for it I have to maintain my stutus in Canada. To do so i am thinking to study small diploma or certification program from the private college for which i have following question.

--> It is something that there are more chances of getting my study permit extention refusal if i study small program from private college? (compared with what i have studied here in past and worked here)

Waiting for the reply and thank you for your time.
Old Aug 18th 2004, 2:13 pm

Jim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: To study in Canada and maintain status

If the course of study does not seem purposeful then refusal is a distinct possibility.
Jim Humphries, former visa officer
Originally Posted by cheersnparty
Hello Experts,

I came to study Post Graduate certification program from community college and after graduating i got my post-graduate work permit, which is soon going to expire. After that i am planning to put my immigration file and for it I have to maintain my stutus in Canada. To do so i am thinking to study small diploma or certification program from the private college for which i have following question.

--> It is something that there are more chances of getting my study permit extention refusal if i study small program from private college? (compared with what i have studied here in past and worked here)

Waiting for the reply and thank you for your time.
Old Aug 18th 2004, 4:30 pm
Forum Regular

cheersnparty is an unknown quantity at this point

I thank you Jim to comment on my previous post. And i agree with what you are telling me.

Let me ask one more thing in this scenario. Say, i studied marketing in Canada when i was on study permit. Now, after my post-grad. work permit expires, if i want to study something related to computer or business program (from private college), in this case, how a visa officer can see ***Purposeful study or not?***

I am asking this many question(s) because i have heard different things from different people saying do not go through private college. Visa officer can think study in private college is not legitimate and they don't have good reputation so it is hard to get visa. Also few said to me, that they never get problems in this scenario. ***Can you please comment on this***, because i am trying to find any light at the end of this darkness, if it is possible or i want to make sure my study permit don't gets rejected.

I will really appreciate for your help and input and I thank you in advance for your time and co-operation.

Originally Posted by Jim Humphries
If the course of study does not seem purposeful then refusal is a distinct possibility.
Old Aug 18th 2004, 5:36 pm

Jim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond repute

This would be ajudgement call and I think it would fail since you have been in Canada as a student for some time now.
Originally Posted by cheersnparty
I thank you Jim to comment on my previous post. And i agree with what you are telling me.

Let me ask one more thing in this scenario. Say, i studied marketing in Canada when i was on study permit. Now, after my post-grad. work permit expires, if i want to study something related to computer or business program (from private college), in this case, how a visa officer can see ***Purposeful study or not?***

I am asking this many question(s) because i have heard different things from different people saying do not go through private college. Visa officer can think study in private college is not legitimate and they don't have good reputation so it is hard to get visa. Also few said to me, that they never get problems in this scenario. ***Can you please comment on this***, because i am trying to find any light at the end of this darkness, if it is possible or i want to make sure my study permit don't gets rejected.

I will really appreciate for your help and input and I thank you in advance for your time and co-operation.
Old Aug 22nd 2004, 8:28 pm
Forum Regular

milka is an unknown quantity at this point

I basically did the same thing. I studied in a QC in HIgh School, Cegep, then went on to a BComm at Uni, and then decided to go to a private college to study IT. I did not have any problems recieving a new study permit, although when it came down to getting a work pernit after the course completed, my application was rejected due to the IT college being "private".

If you talk to the guidance counselors at the school, don't always believe what they say. Mine told me they would help with the paperwork, and that work permits were not a problem. When it came down to filling in application forms, they did not even have the correct forms, and I ended up doing everything myself.

Best bet is to call CIC and explain to them what type of school you want to go to and get all the details, even if it means calling a few times. I know they seem like they want to rush you off the phone sometimes!

Originally Posted by Jim Humphries
This would be ajudgement call and I think it would fail since you have been in Canada as a student for some time now.