Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

student visas and trade apprenticeships

student visas and trade apprenticeships

Old Feb 27th 2008, 6:09 am
Just Joined

clamdonegan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default student visas and trade apprenticeships

Hi
has anybody successfully emigrated to alberta or bc on a trade apprenticeship or a hospitality management apprenticeship. We have seen alot written about such schemes but interested if anybody has gone down this route.
any info gratefully received
cathy
Old Feb 27th 2008, 7:26 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: student visas and trade apprenticeships

Originally Posted by clamdonegan
Hi
has anybody successfully emigrated to alberta or bc on a trade apprenticeship or a hospitality management apprenticeship. We have seen alot written about such schemes but interested if anybody has gone down this route.
any info gratefully received
cathy

Hello and welcome. Have a look at the following thread in which people have also asked about going down the apprentice route - but in which our resident immigration expert Andrew has said that it's impossible to get an LMO for an apprentice so no go I'm afraid. Do read it thoroughly, there seem to be companies advertising in papers like The Sun saying you can emigrate to Canada and be an apprentice but from what Andrew and others have said, it's not that easy (or legal!) - not to mention it would be impossible to live on an apprentices wages in BC or Alberta as they are the most expensive provinces.

No idea about the student visa though, that sounds like your best shot (assuming you can't get in any other way i.e. finding a job or pnp?). I'm sure someone who has done it will be along shortly. I think that's definitely possle although an expensive way to do it I think as you have to pay international tuition fees.

Best of luck.
Old Feb 27th 2008, 11:01 pm
Just Joined

Hi,
thankyou for that, my hubby has enough points with a job offer so we may well try that, his occupation and work experience qualify him but his diploma may well not be accepted as it is a college year long diploma which we have been told they do not recognize! If I could give him my degree we would be laughing!
thanks again
cathy

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Hello and welcome. Have a look at the following thread in which people have also asked about going down the apprentice route - but in which our resident immigration expert Andrew has said that it's impossible to get an LMO for an apprentice so no go I'm afraid. Do read it thoroughly, there seem to be companies advertising in papers like The Sun saying you can emigrate to Canada and be an apprentice but from what Andrew and others have said, it's not that easy (or legal!) - not to mention it would be impossible to live on an apprentices wages in BC or Alberta as they are the most expensive provinces.

No idea about the student visa though, that sounds like your best shot (assuming you can't get in any other way i.e. finding a job or pnp?). I'm sure someone who has done it will be along shortly. I think that's definitely possle although an expensive way to do it I think as you have to pay international tuition fees.

Best of luck.
Old Feb 27th 2008, 11:07 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by clamdonegan
Hi,
thankyou for that, my hubby has enough points with a job offer so we may well try that, his occupation and work experience qualify him but his diploma may well not be accepted as it is a college year long diploma which we have been told they do not recognize! If I could give him my degree we would be laughing!
thanks again
cathy
So sorry, I've just realised that I didn't include the link to the thread I mentioned - doh!!! Brain not working as usual, do you think a year after my son was born I can still blame baby brain/hormones....?!? Hmmmm, probably not! Anyway, here you go....

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=515089

And could you not apply with you as the primary applicant if you have a degree? Would that give you enough points?

If you haven't done already, have a read on all the sections on job hunting in the Wiki which should help you try and find him a job.

Old Feb 28th 2008, 1:00 am
Just Joined

Hi there,
thanks for your advice, I have only recently graduated would love to go back to uni do post grad in teaching. I have also city and guilds qualifications in catering which may be more useful in getting a visa for alberta and bc and 10 years experience. My present occupation as a health care assistant in palliative care it seems is useless for Canada!!
thanks again
regards
cathy